Terence Mckenna - The universe's best kept secret.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by OpenMindFields, May 21, 2011.

1. I doubt it. He and Terence were very close. Dennis is still involved in the psychedelic community, although he's more research focused. He's still an avid mushroom and ayahuasca aficionado.

Dennis' primary motivation seems to be to tell the tale of Terence that nobody knows. He wants to bring his brother's character full-circle and put to rest the hopeless clinging-on that much of the psychedelic community have done in past years. His motivation seems to be, if not entirely, mostly shamanic in nature.

The Psychedelic Salon podcast had a wonderful episode recently, that was subsequently removed after Terence's family (not Dennis) went batshit over it. I had listened to it before it was removed, where most of this information was detailed through readings of Dennis' forthcoming book. The response from the psychedelic community to this podcast, which was a recording at a workshop led by Bruce Damer and Lorenzo Hagerty, has been positive overall. People are excited to learn of this 'unknown' side of McKenna, and are accepting of it.

A Deep Dive into the Mind of Terence McKenna | Reality Sandwich

2. You just said before that he didn't take mushrooms after 88?

He certainly used marijuana, and possibly salvia often. The point is he wasn't lying or perpetuating a false image of himself, and certainly any response his fanbase offers is no reflection of his own intent.

3. Yes, he did not, in actuality, take mushrooms post-1988. He continued to say that he did, because that's what his audience wanted. He had such a frightening experience with mushrooms in 1988 that he would not approach them again. It was, literally, the last time he took mushrooms in his life. He used other psychedelics very sparingly. He rarely used salvia.

So yes, he was most certainly lying. Whether you hold that against him is up to you. I do not hold it against him.

Everything I'm saying can be validated. Like I said previously, keep an eye out for Dennis' upcoming book.

4. He apparently tried pure psilocybin - I've never listened to a youtube video or read an article where he claimed he was doing mushrooms when in fact, he wasn't. Who could validate that claim? Possible Terence was lying about not using them - unless you can provide specific instances of Terence claiming he had used a drug recently and also proof that he in fact didn't, seems you are attempting to slander him, yet you say you aren't.

5. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I posted a link above. Follow it. Dig through the Internet to find the redacted podcast I reference. Listen to it. Read his brother's book when it comes out. If anybody knows Terence it's his brother and the guys who were most close to him. That's where my information comes from. I've already given you the means to fact-check.

Here's my unabashed opinion on Terence: I really like the dude. I wish he were still around so I could hear his opinion of the mess we have gotten ourselves into. I wish he were still around to better explain why he chose the start dates he did for Timewave Zero, and why it falls apart when you chose almost any other dates. He is, perhaps, more than anybody else, a man I claim as my hero. He was wildly intelligent and his talks and ideas helped me to leave behind my old, constrictive philosophies, and consider that there might be something greater to this whole game we're embroiled in.

So no, there's no slander. Just enough respect for Terence to not let people continue perpetuating falsehoods about him.

Sounds like you have such a hard on for the dude that you don't want to take the time to research whether your opinions about him are factual or not. And such a shame, since you're generally one of the most vocal in the religion and spirituality section about people not doing their research.

6. I love Terrence McKenna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. I've read the link - will get his brothers book - have read several by Terence himself and listened to every lecture/speaking event of his on youtube. He is one amongst many I admire and seek wisdom from.

Don't care whether he did the drugs in the nineties - his health was up and down. What I can tell you is that he did not claim to be doing certain drugs when he wasn't doing them. He in fact clarified throughout the nineties that he had limited his usage to certain things he did at home - he wasn't entirely explicit. So as you suggested we take anything Terence said with a grain of salt, also take anything his brother says, too. He wasn't with him all the time, and could possibly have other motives for his comments. Who knows?

You are the one supposing people hold him up as some demi-god drug guru. Not so, and I've certainly not seen it.

8. Im about to be on a nature trip.If ya know what I mean.Its like a waking dream

Man my buddy needs to hurry up.What do you think about Nassim?

Edit: I made a thingamajig with that post.lol

9. Just started the 10 Hour lecture "The Tree Of Knowledge". Been on it for 2 days 3hours in! :) AMAZING STUFF!