First time outdoor grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Jdgerber, May 18, 2011.

1. #1 Jdgerber, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Hey there boys and girls, this is my first time growing and wanted tips and tricks. Germinated three seeds in plastic cups with home made compost and three with paper towels and ziplock. Two of the cup ones sprouted and one of the zip locks did. (I over watered I think) so I have three little girls (fingers crossed) all in cups now chillin in the back woods in a lil clearing. I have a pretty sweet permanent grow site about a mike from my place. Main things I'm curios about is taking care of the girls as they gets older and what time of year will they bud and be ready for harvest. Also when should I transplant from cups to grow site? Thx dudes and dude-ets!
    I'll get some pics of the grow site next time I'm there (tomorrow lol)

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to GrassCity gerber!

You are going to want to transplant in about two-three weeks depending on how fast they are growing. Put some ductape around those clear plastic cups ASAP! Didn't you ever learn that roots don't like light? :p

They will begin to bud in mid to late July depending on your location and the strain. These are bagseed I am assuming so, will probably be some late harvesting sativas, mid October anyone?

I am hoping this is just a fun experiment you want to do, not expecting anything massive are we?

3. Thx brosham I'll hop on the duck tape. When I transplant I'm plan in on digging out a hole like 4th wide and 2ft deep and filling it with organic potting soil. Sound about right? And should I be using any fertilizers soon and what type? They r still really young I planted just last week.

4. No fertz yet dude! That's like giving steroids to a baby. It will die :D.
    Instead of digging a 4ft x 2ft hole, dig 3 different 1.5x1.5 holes for each of your plants. Organic potting soil is fine, any brand you have in mind?
    You shouldn't need fertilizer for another 2-3 weeks. probably longer simply because your growing them in compost which already has a shitload of nutrients in it. I am surprised they sprouted, is that just strait compost?

5. It's a really mild compost I've saved over the winter. It's mainly biodegraded leaves we raked up last fall and egg shells and crap I'd say 80% of it is just leaves lol. I havent even been to the hardware store yet to look for supplies. I'm workin in the woods behind my parents house (where I live) so I haven't needed anything yet, but when I move the girls to the site I'll have to get my own stuff. Any recommendations on fertilizers? :bongin:

6. Do you like your nugs fat and dank? or Dank and Tasty? Answer me that, then I will answer yours.

Edit: In other words, are you a man of quantity or quality.

7. straight compost seemed to work great for me. we have one on the side of our house that we throw all of our old fruits, vegitables, and dead grass in and i started some of my plants in that and some i started in store bought soil. i planted the first sprouting seeds in the store bought soil which was week 1 of sprouting about 15 seedlings then the second week i sprouted some and since i ran out of soil i needed ideas so i took some of our compost and planted the seedlings and the seedlings in the compost turned out way more full, alot more leaves and much more rapid growth. you can also tell the plants who were grown in the composts stems are much stronger. the nutrients seemed to treat the plants well and when i move them outdoors i plan on using the compost for soil and stuff since it worked so well and i have so much.

8. I want to get a lot out of it but I want to get some good shit so I'm probably on the quality side. About how much pot do u get off of a plant uasaly anyways?

And yeah home made fertilizer seems to have a better verity of nutrients across the board.

9. How long till I'll be able to tell if they are male or female?

10. you will be able to tell in july-august the sex

11. Cool cool. Btw how safe is this place? Cops aren't gonna show up at my place cuz they found this here right? =O

12. How close is it to your house? they might come to your door lol. dont visit too often.

13. Lol you asking some really noob questions. I'll do my best :cool:

Mid-late July depending on strain and location

Sorry but your not the center of the universe :rolleyes:. Cops could give a fuck less about your few plants :p. They have bigger fish to fry...like is it worth spending a few grand to take out your plants that are worth less than a couple hundred by the end....NO. They are going for the pounds and pounds like Candian RooR over in the outdoor journals.

Lol...this is the worst out of all the questions. I am not even going to answer it. I will post two pictures, that should answer your question...if not your a little slow :smoke:.
    [​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

14. Woahhh dang, we all gotta start somewhere xD but washed is right. Just try to go and learn from trial and error! :D plant in crappy soil, with minimal light you will get a small plant and yeild. grow with good soil lots of light you get lots! lol. WITH MANY/FEW OBSTICLES IN BETWEEN. Just keep it out of sight or the neighboors can snitch!

15. #15 Jdgerber, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Ok I never claimed to be Dr. Ganja here lol. This is my first grow so no dip I'm gonna ask these questions. And all I was askin was how much can I expect to get off the plants. What is a moderate average to how much people get off a med sized pot plant? I know I'm a noob lmao I'm just trying to feel things out. All in good humor tho. Thx for the input.

16. You can expect none! but hope... lol a med size pot plant IMHO would be a half pound...its impossible to say.

17. Oh and i don't think neighbors will b a prob. The site I'm planting at is way out of the way with tons of sunlight. Btw washed what kind of fertilizer were u gonna say I should use?

18. Lol thx that was the answer I was looking for. I'm pretty much gonna use this thread as a grow journal so I can get help along the way. So be ready for more noob questions! =]

19. Im starting an outdoor grow aswell.. Thogh its not my first time... Its the longest ive ever been able to keep the plants alive.. (theve been good for about 2 months now, started in late april)

Anyway, I wouldnt hope for much bud... I have 3 plants, In about 1-2 gallon pots. Im not "expecting" more than an ounce. Though, if you plant it in the ground, let it get nice and big and take care of it... it could yeild over an ounce per plant.

20. Fox Farm trio for quantity (be sure to flush at the end). The buds will still taste kinda like chemicals.

Organic compost teas for quality and yummy tasting herb.

Fox Farm is noob proof, just don't over do it on the nutrients.
    Organic composts such as EWC, bone, blood, and kelp meal, etc. (This is a little less noob proof, as you have to use an airstone to brew the teas but your plants will love you and you will love your buds.)

Yo just pm if ya want. Im trying to be concise, but in a pm i can go into more detail