Companion planting herbs with marijuana

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Lowflyer17z, May 12, 2011.

1. I got rosemary mint parsley basil and cilantro in my greenhouse hoping that will repel some bugs

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'm reposting a query make by myself in the "new" companion planting thread.  I'm not getting any responses there...

I've just finished reading  both companion planting threads.  I shut down my grow for the summer because of the heat, but am getting ready to get started again for the fall.  I've been researching no-till and companion planting techniques for this new grow.  I'm comfortable knowing that I can no-till in the pots that I have, but there are a few things I'd like to clear up about the companion planting.

I grow inside so repelling/attracting bugs is not something that is necessary for me.  What I am interested in is stimulating oil production for increased odor/flavor (terpenes, terpenoids?).  If I have read correctly, Chamomile and Stinging Nettle are the plants I want for this effect, no (I already have these seeds from Horizon)?  Would planting both of these plants with my canna' be "overkill"?  Or will the effect be increased by having them both in the pot?

And one other thing that I didn't see touched upon in any detail.  How do you time the planting of these companion plants?  Is it best to have them well established before flowering, or plant just before switching to 12/12?  Or maybe plant based on the maturation time of the companions so as to coincide with the flowering time of the canna'?

Thanks, all!

3. Boy oh boy! Just added some stinging nettles, indian warror and comfrey to my list. I think I found a source of indian warrior seeds online but the site is kinda strange as I have to email them my order. Anyone know of another seed source? 

4. Horizon Herbs?

Cd

5. Hey man this is ancient but it looks like no answers.

I was literally just pondering the nettles myself but I have a feeling the benefits come from being outside and using those deep taproots.

Chamomile is next on the list for me, currently using garlic in 5gal SIPs so far so good.

I bet being established would be better just for microbe housing and soil aggregates.

Just trying to keep the convo going haha 2cents as always.

6. I have a picture somewhere with an aloe Vera growing with my previous mother plant.

Compost man...

Stinging nettles I would think would be better outside.

Dynamic accumulators are meant to be outside. To "accumulate" from the soil.

Marigolds will grow well with cannabis too IME. Again, I was using homemade, rich compost. Fwiw

7. I've got some yarrow moving into my greenhouse beds after using it in the mulch last year, pretty happy about that. My favorite out of the beneficial insect attractant mix I planted last season was basil; I let the mix grow pretty much wild, so the basil stayed pretty low and kept a really aggressive flavor and aroma. Coincidentally, zero pest issues. This year I'm adding mint, and probably catnip too.

My open questions to anyone practicing companion planting is: what do you plant together (of course), how densely do you plant, and most importantly, for each of those answers, why? 

8. Some of the great "cover crops" to use are organic NON GMO buckwheat, clover, alfalfa, chicory, oats and soybeans all of these will bring beneficial insects to your area. As well as add nitrogen and organic matter to your soil. I also have found that water doesn't drain nearly ass fast from soil with a cover crop!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum
    Lol ass fast

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. #69 GiMiK, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    Depends if they're annuals or perennials, like rosemary and lavender. I grow my perennials spaced out quite a bit, as I plan on long term growth rather than just filling space at the moment. Annual herbs I try and group fairly tight.

Mint you will want to contain, unless you don't mind it spreading out and basically taking over. Clover and such I just seed as tightly as I can to get a thick carpet growing. Mint and w/e I space out a bit, like 6" apart, depending on how fast they spread/grow.

I prefer to stick with shorter legumes like clover and annuals like basil, thyme, coriander (cilantro), and lemon balm (really useful for IPM and making your own teas) and chamomile for cover crops with my cannabis. Usually I just stick with clover and grow my herbs elsewhere, as inside the cover crop tends to die back a good bit by the time I flower mine out.

Stinging nettles would get too tall and be of more use outside rather than in a pot (deep roots). I regularly harvest 5' tall patches of nettles yearly...same thing with alfalfa, too tall for indoor usage and deep root system that is better served drawing resources from the subsoil. 

I was doing a bit of reading on essential oil production and both yarrow and chamomile seem to be the most referenced herbs for increasing oil content as a companion crop. Nothing solid yet, just a bunch of observations and anecdotes but it looks promising.

10. This may be a bit nitpicky....
    and a month late to the party...

Aren't the benfits wak's after in the nettles and chamomile coming from their secondary metabolites, and shouldn't the plant create these metabolites even without a super profound root system?

A plant being labled a dynamic accumulator is a description independent of it's secondary metabolite production, right?

11. I'm going back through old posts I made and trying to follow up on things I said I'd do.

I stated in my previous post on this topic that I would post a picture of an Aloe with my mother plant. I cannot find it.

But I assure you, they were both thriving well. I did become afraid that the aloe would eventually crowd out big mama and decided to remove it.

Here's the aloe now though.

http://imgur.com/fiLNLfk
    [​IMG]

That sounds awesome. But just wondering, what benefit does Aloe give as a companion plant?

13. Lol, none of this was rhetorical, I was seriously digging for some answers. :confused: :confused_2:

14. #74 StayLowGrows, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015

bump for stevebomb

15. 74 replies so far, now that's what I call impressive popularity with a thread. In reception to this thread, I have started companion planting.

I have planted a mix of regular and african marigolds with my cannabis in the same coco pots (interplanting). I want a system that is based on a "minimum". What I mean by a minimum is I have very little room as it is in my grow box, and I only want the smallest amount of companion plants in taking up room inside of it.

I did marigolds to keep out the root bugs, and I will be planting some mint for the spider mites that marigolds attract. I will be planting some Roman (not German, (space concerned)) Chamomile and stinging nettle for nutrient benefits.

My questions for all watchers of this wonderful topic are as follows:

1: Because I am looking for the best space saving companion plants, what are the basics that are easy to grow, do the most (IE: "do the most": As in gets rid of the most bugs)? I just want the worlds shortest list of companion plants to cover all the possible bugs that could hurt my cannabis, but I want to have as few plants as possible to achieve this.

2: Although I am using Advanced nutrients PH perfect for my nutrients, I currently am planning for my next grow a cheaper option for nutrients, and something just as easy when in regards to not worrying about setting ph or anything, and it looks like companion planting might be a good way to do it according to someone on youtube known famously as theo m in regards to nettle and cannabis inter planted. But another thing I found as easy in regards to nutrients is using a "Living Soil", with the "Living Soil" trick, all you have to do is, feed the soil not the plant, and it is the cheapest method other than companion planting with stinging nettle I have ever seen, what is more impressive is ph and everything is taken care of with the "Living Soil" trick. And best part is, no root removal ever. Instead all you do is cut the plant off the stem and let the soil eat the roots left over and use roots as fuel to feed the soil even more which should provide nutrients for the next plant and so on. But from what I hear you need bugs for this to work. I was wondering is it possible to do this without the use of bugs? Like have a living soil I mean based off of nutrients made from companion planting and/or super soil, so that I can just keep the same soil over and over and let the nutrients keep feeding the plants, the plants keep feeding each other and then the roots feeding the soil to let the process never end. But again without bugs?

3: If it is not possible to do a bugless living soil then is it possible to have another alternative to recycling the dead roots by the same easiness as mentioned in the example of cutting the stem and after taking the plant out to harvest then leaving the roots to rot and become nutrients?

I originally wanted to do a super soil, then after reading online a super coco sounded better, then after researching companion planting seems to good to miss out on in regards to bug safety and nutrient feeds. And feeding the soil not the plant in regards to having perfect ph and letting the roots stay after harvest.

But again I hate the idea of adding to many plants to my interplanting.
    In a perfect world I have coco over soil,
    In a perfect world I have my roots left, 
    In a perfect world I have no concerns over feeding nutrients, other than feeding the soil, or at the least I can do a super coco and never have to worry about feeding or ph.
    In a perfect world I have only 1 or two companion plants to take care of everything or almost everything.

So how many out of 4 examples of a perfect world above are possible with as little bugs and plants necessary?

16. Yarrow or Queen Anne's Lace?

[​IMG]

17. kinda looks like chrysanthemum [​IMG]

18. #78 ladyluckybean, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
     i got it from my aunt last year and planted it here but then i saw there's a similar plant that is also common called queen annes lace. be a shame to put a ditch weed in there thinking I'm getting benefits... [​IMG]

i should check to see if chrysanthemums grow well here. i bet they do and I'm making a herb garden for mulching and teas. i bought orange mint already and i have some hairy vetch about to start growing on the roads nearby. the comfrey lady is open tomorrow. trying to think of some essential herbs that would be beneficial, then i planting them in some kelp/crustacean/rock minerals out in our yard.

19. Here's native yarrow - or at least native to the Pacific Northwest

[​IMG]

20. Queen Anne's lace are wild carrots
    The old wives' tale around here is that queen anne's lace was used as a contraceptive back in the day.
    And their flowers remind me more of yarrow than what you posted.
    [​IMG]

Maybe chammomile? I always think plants that look like that are chammomile though....

[​IMG]