Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I Shed a tear for these people

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ThePowerOfPot, May 10, 2011.

1. Cold evidence they have no idea what their talking about, The American council for drug education that is.

Straight from their website ; Chronic marijuana smokers are prey to chest colds, bronchitis, emphysema, and bronchial asthma. Persistent use will damage lungs and airways and raise the risk of cancer. There is just as much exposure to cancer-causing chemicals from smoking one marijuana joint as smoking five tobacco cigarettes. And there is evidence that marijuana may limit the ability of the immune system to fight infection and disease.

What's that you say, "
    There is just as much exposure to cancer-causing chemicals from smoking one marijuana joint as smoking five tobacco cigarettes"

Aww Shucks this totally open's my mind on drugs :3

We must get our message out more

- Jesse

Toke long, Hit the Bong, Sing Bob Marley's song

p.s : I don't know if people knew that they thought like that but i thought you guys should know so i posted :3

2. Everyone is born with cancer its just not activated. Also everyone gets colds, whether chest cold or whatever. But you may be interested in the $$$ the big guys are making from harmful meds :)

3. #3 Storm Crow, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
    Jesse, I have the cure for their ignorance! CLICK THAT FIRST LINK IN MY SIG!

You will find 100s of "goodies" like these-

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news - 2007)
    Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American

No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says (news - 2007)
    Illinois NORML - No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says

Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk (news - 2009)
    (bad title for a good article)
    [FONT=&quot]Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk[/FONT]

Cannabis compound stops spread of breast cancer: researchers (news - 2007)
    Cannabis compound stops spread of breast cancer: researchers - Health - CBC News

Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels
    (news - 2004)
    [FONT=&quot]Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels[/FONT]

Marijuana chemical tapped to fight strokes ? (news - 1998)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana chemical tapped to fight strokes | Science News | Find Articles at BNET[/FONT]

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries (news - 2005) [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries[/FONT]

Israeli Research Shows Cannabidiol May Slow Alzheimer's Disease (news -2008)
    Israeli Research Shows Cannabidiol May Slow Alzheimer's Disease - Inside Israel - Israel News - Israel National News

Cannabis Helps Ulcers And Crohn's Disease (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Cannabis Helps Ulcers And Crohn's Disease: The Hempire - [cannabis, london][/FONT]

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill (news - 2003)
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

Now with ammo like that, you guys ought to be able to educate those poor fools! And like I said, this is only a small sample of what you can find in my List!

They really don't know any better:confused_2: :confused:, so it is up to US to give them the FACTS about cannabis! They have swallowed the "governmental koolaid" and think they are doing good. Sadly, their lack of knowledge may kill them by allowing that cancer cell to continue to grow, rather than die under the influence of cannabinoids! Or will it be an ulcer that ruptures? Heart disease? A stroke? Or the living death of Alzheimer's?

Although misguided, they are human beings with families. They deserve better. We all deserve better! Education paves the road to legalization! Educate yourself, then others! :yay:

Granny :wave:

4. Lol if I didn't have medical mmj I would be on the toilet for like 5 hours a day.

The more I see articles like this, the more discouraged I am with the state of marijuana in this country...

5. Good old Granny - they don't stand a chance with you around :D

6. Yeah I found out that MM works so great with really bad muscle cramps. I started getting really bad muscle cramps like 2 years ago when I was 19. I went to the doctors and they said I just finished my final stage of puberty. Started and haven't had once since. Besides when I go on tolerance breaks.

7. "Good old Granny - they don't stand a chance with you around"

That's the whole idea, hon! I educate you guys, you educate those around you! The more folks who learn about what cannabis can do, the better!

Granny

8. Yeah that's practically all I do now a days. People are so ignorant when it comes to this subject.

9. I don't know if this has any clinical basis, but every single chronic smoker I know gets bronchitis/respiratory problems at a greater rate than non-smokers.

Although they smoke cannabis with cigarettes as well, so it could be a synergistic effect. I don't know. But it would make sense to me that smoke is bad for your lungs, and negative consequences from inhaling it aren't unbelievable.

So I guess the lesson is: vaporize! :p

10. #10 Storm Crow, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
    tranq, vaporizing IS best! :yay: And I got the studies to prove it! (Click that first link in my sig and scroll down to "METHODS OF USE -VAPORIZERS")

However, when it come to the actual lung damage done by toking, this excerpt from a 2009 WebMD article, is quite enlightening -

Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk

"When COPD was clinically confirmed though a diagnostic method known as spirometric testing:
    • The incidence of COPD among participants who smoked cigarettes alone was 2.7 times higher than among nonsmokers.
    • The incidence of COPD was 2.9 times higher among participants with a history of smoking both cigarettes and pot, even after controlling for other risk factors for the pulmonary disease.
    • COPD risk among people who smoked marijuana, but not tobacco, was slightly higher than among nonsmokers, but the increase was not statistically significant."

Look at the numbers - do the math! Adding the cannabis smoke to the damage already done by tobacco increases your risk a mere .2 times! It's that nasty tobacco that does most of the damage! :eek:

And, of course- Pot's Active Ingredient Halts Lung Cancer Growth, Study Says (news - 2007)
    http://www.illinoisnorml.org/content/view/529/27/ You sure can't say THAT about tobacco!

If you must smoke, smoke cannabis! :smoke: :bongin:

Granny :wave:

11. Haha granny always knows best :D

12. I went from smoking nothing to smoking MJ and from excersie (biking up to 20 miles a day) i now have better breathing. It could just be excerise but think mj helped.

13. It dilates your arteries in your heart so your blood pumps smoother that's why it helps with some cancer because cancer is dead blood cell or w.e and yeah it just breaks it down.

14. #14 Storm Crow, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    OK hon, let's get you educated! (You could have actually read some of the news articles in my List- that 1st link in my sig- and learned all this on your own!) You are right about it dilating blood vessels, but you don't know much about cancer!

Cancer happens when a normal cell "forgets" that it is supposed to die after a certain number of dividings, and then that cancer cell gets "greedy" and starts making new blood vessels to feed itself. It grows, making copies of itself, faster and faster as new blood vessels are formed to feed the "monster".

That normal cell death is called "apoptosis" and cannabinoids make the cell "remember" that it is supposed to die! And it does!

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in C6 glioma cells. (Glioma is a nasty brain cancer) (abst - 1998)
    Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in C... [FEBS Lett. 1998] - PubMed result

In addition, cannabinoids stop the growth (angiogenesis) of those new blood vessels that supply the cancer with lots of food. The cancers can't grow so fast if their food supply is small.

Inhibition of tumor angiogenesis by cannabinoids (full - 2003)
    Inhibition of tumor angiogenesis by cannabinoids

There are other ways that cannabis stops cancer growth, but those two are the main ones so far. You just might want to click that first link in my sig and educate yourself!

And "w.e." simply doesn't make it! If you want legal cannabis in your lifetime, you should be able to discuss the topic intelligently! Medical use is the most acceptable to the general public and politicians, so learn about it!

Granny

15. Holy shit! It works two ways? Instead of just trying to kill the cancer cell, it turns it against itself? That's amazing!! :eek:

*And now I know!

I've got to find some free time to really peruse that list. :p

16. Although it's written to sound stern and serious... they're still not technically lying. Smoking of any kind damages the tissue though with pot it's insignificant... you can have equal exposure amounts with different potency of the carcinogens. Smoking of any kind also lowers the strength of the immune system, but again with normal ganja amounts it's insignificant... and because of this we're technically more prey to virus/bacteria infections and some of the like...

completely insignificant... but technically true... definition 'fear mongering'

17. Are you fucking serious?

18. Its true cuz marijuanq is an evil cancerous drug that rape children.
    Oh nevermind, thats the government.

19. Wow seriously watch the union the business behind getting high, will blow your mind

20. I guess I'm the only person who thought that this movie was boring, long and drawn out...