Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Fox farms ocean forest or fox farms happy frog?

• Please log in to reply

bosey

bosey

• Registered Upgraded
  • 595 posts
I had problems with seedlings in Ocean Forest. Wacky pH problems that I just couldn't fix. I cut it with perlite and it still burnt the crap out of them.

I still want to use it later in veg because I have heard good things. Going soil less right now and my ladies look great.

I thought about layering Happy Frog on top of Ocean Forest so I can use the rest of my bag. Was scared to lose more babies though. Hope that helped.

Oh and like another poster has said, Ocean Forest does not hold moisture too well. It gets dry and crusty very quickly.

ToolMan1026

ToolMan1026

It never ends.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 978 posts

Well, since no one has answered your question specifically, I have had experience and I have seen the results of both, though I have only grown with one, which is Ocean Forest.

The main difference that I have seen, is the drainage. The Ocean Floor does not seem to hold water for as long, and I personally like watering a bit more because I can micromanage my nute intake better.

Keep in mind that any premix soil can be made better with various additions, but seeing has how that isnt what you inquired about I doubt it matters.

If your looking for a good fire and forget soil, Ocean Forest is good stuff, I have used it, it drains well, comes with a little perlite (I still added some more of my own tho), and highly reccommend it. You can check out my childrens for the results that I am seeing in my signature. I am uploading new pics tonight at some point so you can check back if you want even more proof that ocean forest is good.

With either, they are Fox Farm, and if you end up adding your own nutes and stuff beware of salt build up. Nearly got one of mine.

Good luck, good growing

Edit: You said MG, I assume miracle grow? I am actually experiementing with MG: Vegetable Organic Premix.

So far the plant has LOVED this soil. I dont like it as much as the plant though as it does not drain as well. I will use this soil again, mostly because its nereby at Homedepot and I can always add my own perlite into it when I try it again. I wouldnt shy away from MG: Organic, but if you can get Ocean Forest, thats way better IMO.

Thank you.

thelumberjack

thelumberjack

LUMBERJACK

• Registered Upgraded
  • 233 posts
im using happy frog right now in my grow in my sig. I like it for the price. and my plants are thriving in it thus far. of course ocean forest is better, but it is a bit more expensive. happy frog will NOT disappoint though.

ToolMan1026

ToolMan1026

It never ends.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 978 posts

im using happy frog right now in my grow in my sig. I like it for the price. and my plants are thriving in it thus far. of course ocean forest is better, but it is a bit more expensive. happy frog will NOT disappoint though.

also thank you for your input relevant to the question I asked, I think I'm going to go with roots organic though. I googled it and read a bunch of threads raving about it.

rhapsodyrcks

rhapsodyrcks

• Banned by Moderators
  • 8,164 posts

It's no problem, I should have specified that. If it were on HTG I would definitely buy it

Cheaper off amazon.com

Tihspeed

Tihspeed

master bator

• Gold Member
  • 9,242 posts

TRUCHA

TRUCHA

HIGHER THAN A MILE

• Registered Upgraded
  • 188 posts
i use happy frog and absolutely love it! great stuff. they are both made by fox farm. i use for 2 to 3 weeks before using nutes, it has a good amount but not enough to burn your plants

bcgd-bcps

bcgd-bcps

• Registered Upgraded
  • 207 posts
ocean forest is happy frog but with a bunch of sea stuff in it,i would recommend getting some dolimite lime in with any of foxfarm products. the p,h seems to vary a little bag to bag. and the dolimte lime helps with the calcium and magnesium that the soil is lacking.i have never used ffhf but have used ffof a lot and the stuff is good, strong throu veg thou so dont feed anything but some micro nutes for the first 3 weeks and then ease into a solid feeding schedual and if not adding lime or using tap water make sure u use some cal mag plus from botnicare produts.... good luck mate:wave:

bcgd-bcps

bcgd-bcps

• Registered Upgraded
  • 207 posts
oh yea avoid planting seedlings straight into ffof

bigworm420

bigworm420

• Registered Upgraded
  • 121 posts

also thank you for your input relevant to the question I asked, I think I'm going to go with roots organic though. I googled it and read a bunch of threads raving about it.

Yes! Good call! You won't be dissapointed. If you can, buy a bag of barefoot organic castings to line the top of your soil with. I would put the roots of the seedlind into that instead of straight to soil as it wont burn those delicate roots. Mix mychorizal fungi in too and you'll be amazed how fast your lil girls grow. I went from seedling to 4 foot tall in 6 weeks using only water and 600w mh with a stalk bigger than a BIC lighter. Pretty good for indoor :) any questions feel free to ask.

420patient

420patient

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,493 posts
The vast majority of the journals iv'e read that use soil use FFOF if it wasn't good then there wouldn't be such a hugh following... On a side note how many 3gallon pots will 1.5cu ft. fill???

Aliquid

Aliquid

• Registered Upgraded
  • 141 posts
Can anyone confirm that base-nute strength in FF soil varies bag-to-bag?

ToolMan1026

ToolMan1026

It never ends.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 978 posts

The vast majority of the journals iv'e read that use soil use FFOF if it wasn't good then there wouldn't be such a hugh following... On a side note how many 3gallon pots will 1.5cu ft. fill???

1.5 cubic feet is about 11 gallons.

ahmcarri

ahmcarri

• Users Awaiting Validation
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Roots organics!

i use roots organic and started nutes during flowering and all looks good is my first grow

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0460.jpg

ToolMan1026

ToolMan1026

It never ends.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 978 posts

i use roots organic and started nutes during flowering and all looks good is my first grow

Looks good, no burn on the lower sets

ahmcarri

ahmcarri

• Users Awaiting Validation
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Looks good, no burn on the lower sets

funny story XD
the pineapple express and super skunk aren't handling it as well as the others but they were old, already half eaten by bugs, leafs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users