[OFFICIAL] Anime Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Faded Skies, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Omg that's so awesome! I hope that you enjoy it! I would also personally suggest that you read the manga, because the anime left out many key events that the manga covered.

2. Anyone know when fate/stay night season two is gonna start? Anxious as fuck over here.

Sometime next month. Pretty anxious as well.

4. Thanks. I knew I should have waited until it was completed. I hate waiting lol.

5. Mal says on the fifth.

6. Also, for everyone who recommended BTOOOM!, I hate you. Recommending an anime that won't even have an ending due to poor sales. That's just mean. Great anime, but damn. I feel incomplete not having seen the second half.

When that happens read the manga.

I'm in the same boat man.

Hurting even more for a new season of Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

9. i don't really like reading manga. It doesn't have the same effect as watching it imo. Did that with gantz, and couldn't even make it 10 chapters.

10. Any similar recommendations until then? Really looking for a good plot, dark themes, gore, and great character development.

Kara no Kyoukai

12. Thanks! Starting episode 1 roight now.

13. Rewatching all of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT...

This is gunna be a trip.. Wonder how long its gunna take me. Probably going to watch the movies too :p

I never understood how people can be like this. It's just lazy, hell, it's not even close to the effort it takes to read a book. If you like a story and you're complaining about not getting enough content comes down to being lazy. Most the time the original source material is better anyhow.

I hate to preach but you're missing out on a lot, I hope you come around and give some more a shot. At one point I was actually preferring manga to anime. Just give it a shot. And not Gantz, Gantz is shit. I'd be happy to give you some good shit if you'd be willing to give it a try.

Keep us updated. Some people find it slow but if you're a mature dude it's a mature anime for mature people like ourselves. Seriously though, give it a shot. If you like Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay it's by the same author (I could be wrong) and takes place in the same world. There is so much to this series and has insane artistic merit. Very beautiful and well written. Some people can't get into it the same way people can't appreciate a good movie.

15. #8195 thehighkite, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    It's not that I'm too lazy to do it. I just don't enjoy it as much as watching an anime. Animes are so much more vibrant and detailed. I read books regularly. I'm currently reading Lolita by Nabokov. I like reading books because it's more detailed than watching a movie, but I don't see it the same way with manga for some reason. They don't make them long enough to be really detailed.
    Maybe it's the type of manga I'm reading. I'd enjoy any recommendations though.

You could try LNs or VNs. Not all anime is adapted from manga.

17. #8197 Vicious, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015

Not to be a dick but it's "anime", not "animes". It's like deer. Just a friendly tip, man.

I need to read Lolita. I watched some of the Kubrick film but it was more of a romcom than what it really is. The thing is, manga is often more detailed than anime. It often carries a different tone and weight than sometimes doesn't make it animated. Othertimes the anime is better. Normally it's not. Black Lagoon for example. Outstanding anime, truly amazing but the manga is exponentially better and presents it in a way the anime isn't able to. Seeing as you're into Lit, have you read Catch 22 by any chance.

For now I'd highly recommend Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, Dorohedoro, I Am a Hero. I recommend these first, foremost and above all else. Seriously, read these two. NOW!. If you're into comedy and social commentary go with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Cromartie High. I'd also recommend Vagabond, Akira, Historie, FMA, Great Teach Onizuka and Vinland Saga.

This, this, this. If you're into reading books like you say VN may be very, very much up your ally. I recommend:
    Inganock
    Sharnoth
    Saya no Uta
    Fate/Stay Night
    Tsukihime
    Muv-Luv
    Melty Blood (connected to Tsukihime, also a fighting game)
    Sengoku Rance (SRPG elements)
    kara no shoujo

For a full novel you should read:
    Fate/Zero
    Spice and Wolf
    Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
    Owari no Chronicle
    Slayers
    Welcome to the NHK
    Monogatari (what is translated)
    Durarara (what is translated)

P.S. READ BISCUIT HAMMER and DOROHEDORO!!!!!!! I also forgot to include I Am a Hero. READ THEM!

18. Come on Garcia, drop me a line or give some 2 cents or something. I'm always bummed when people drop a like and don't offer input or say anything. I hate the like feature so much. Let's communicate guys. Fuck pushing a button and notifications. This thread is so slow. This site is so slow. Lets talk like we're suppose to!

19. Thanks for the correction. Always like to be correct whenever I can be.
    Also, I haven't read catch 22, but I've heard good things. I'll definitely take a look at it. And yes, please read it. Nabokov's writing style makes things much more vivid and interesting.
    For manga, I've only really tried reading gantz and naruto (partly). Both didn't seem to do justice from what I read. I just assumed all manga was like that. It's just a case of lack of exposure, I guess. I will give your recommendations a read and keep you guys updated with how I enjoy or dislike some of them. Thanks!

I liked it cause you gave him some good recommendations.

What are you watching this season?