[OFFICIAL] Anime Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Faded Skies, Apr 29, 2011.

1. In some aspects it was predictable, but at certain points in the show my mind was blown with some of the ideas Kira had. I understand what you're saying about the fans though, but im not one of those kind of fans, was just curious as to why you didn't like it. Fans like that exist in everything, it is rather annoying.

2. I didn't assume you were, otherwise, when that guy said he didn't like Deathnote you would have flipped your lid and wrote his name down in:
    [​IMG]
    lol

Anyway, to further answer your question, it's more because I'm just not into the style. I'm not big into psychological or action like series. I've always been a drama/comedy person. Give me something funny with maybe a dash of sci-fi, or something serious with some slice of life undertones, and I'll be a happy person. I try new series out all the time that are similar in style to death note, but nothing ever sticks. I end up dropping them and picking up something quirky and ridiculous that most people would probably find annoying or laughable (not in a good way).

3. Lol, Yeah I like animes to have some comic relief, i laughed a lot to Death Note, probably because i was high when i watched the whole series, im not really into the psychological kind either but i don't know i just liked Death Note. I'm more of an action/adventure/comedy or if they have a good story and good character development i love it, I think that's why i like Death Note so much, in my opinion they developed the character real good and i just love the story.

4. #24 liquidlightning, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
    I love anime tonnes. Code Geass is one of my absolute favourites storyline-wise. The characters are amazing and the battle sequences are fantastic, plus I usually really hate mechs so it's amazing how it was able to cut through that and get to me.

SublimeSativa try out Claymore, it's akin to Berserk in visual style and subject matter, kinda. Fights are amazing, original, and plenty. Doesn't bypass story completely though. EDIT: Also Blade of the Immortal (very violent, decent story), and Sengoku Basara (more heavy on the storyline and ridiculously powerful fighters).

On the subject of Death Note it's not my favourite anime ever but I loved it. I found the pacing to be fantastic. And just because I figured out some of the strategies before they were fully explained, it didn't make me enjoy figuring them out any less. The odd time I was wrong and pleasantly surprised but when I was right I just took it as personal validation of my awesomeness.

5. The funny thing is, is I complain about Death Note being predictable, yet I watch high school/slice of life stuff more than anything. If you want to talk about predictable...lol. Every series runs on almost the exact same premise. I suppose it's a premise I like though and sometimes studios switch it up adding an element of sci-fi or fantasy. Some even go balls out and you never see anything coming.

6. I've been meaning to try out Claymore i've heard good things about it. Right now i decided to watch Samurai Champlooe for the first time, on episode 6, and this anime is amazing already.

7. Definitely. The music direction was done by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop. He is a master at contrasting style. Super modern with classic jazz. And ancient japan with modern hip hop. It's so awesome.

8. I know! I love the opening, its pretty cool.

9. I'm old schoolio anime fan - I go back to the days of the Cartoon Fantasy Organization and Nth generation videocassettes dubbed with two VCRS straight from Japan. No translation, no subtitles - we wanted to know what was going on, we learned Japanese.

Old School I like:

Speed Racer
    Star Blazers (Space Cruiser Yamato)
    Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets)
    Robotech
    Macross
    Mobile Suit Gundam et al - I'm a BIG Gundam fan
    Saint Seiya
    Space Adventure Cobra

and so much more...

Newer stuff I like The Big O, Giant Robo and Cowboy Bebop. I haven't seen anything recently that wasn't a sequel to one of my favorites that I've really been excited about.

I can't stand the 90's generation of Anime shows/fans - There was anime BEFORE Dragonball and Pokemon kids, and don't get me started on Yugioh

10. I watched this cool documentary about early anime fans. How many would hold weekly anime viewings. Someone would bring the tapes that pen pals sent them from Japan (and perhaps some light outlines of what happened in the episodes) and someone (at least you could hope) knew Japanese and would translate lightly as you went along.

This fascinated me and made me realize all I've taken for granted. Now it's so easy to find subtitled anime or even dubbed (if that's your thing). I couldn't imagine living back in the late 70s early 80s not being able to watch anime so freely and easily.

The original "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross" I believe it was? Is today still one of my favorite series. Same with many of the Macross series that followed into the 90s. Gundam as well. I watched the original and a few of the series that carried into the 90s, but nothing past that.

There will always always always be a place in my heart for the classics. However, a much bigger part is dedicated to my favorite era (the 90s). It gave birth to much of what I like today. The 2000s have had plenty of series I enjoy as well. All in all, I can't say I hate any era of anime. All of them have produced quality work and all of them have produced some terrible garbage. It's all about sifting through and finding the gems no matter how well their hidden.

11. I watched some when I was a little younger on cartoon network / adult swim.
    Those were...
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Samurai Champloo
    - Trigun
    - Lupin the 3rd

Rewatched trigun, and plan on watching bebop and champloo again.

More recent watches...
    - Highschool of the Dead (fuck yes)
    - Ouran Highschool Host Club
    - School Rumble

The ouran and school rumble style I absolutely love when it comes to anime.

12. What are the High school animes like?

13. Most of the time a high school style anime contains humor, romance, and some slight drama. They're more focus on the relationships and wackiness of the high school life. I really like that style.

Out of the three he mentioned, I didn't care all that much for High School of the Dead. It was a lot of pointless gore and fan service. Fan service (showing panties, bras, boobs, etc... often) when it doesn't even add to the scene or make sense. It had a lot of potential. Take out some of the fan service and replace it with more development, and it would have been great.

The other two mentioned were great. Ouran High School Host Club is fucking amazing. So damn funny. It's easily in my top five.

14. That's what i thought, not a big fan of that type of anime, i like action/adventure/slight comedy.

15. Yeah, it's not for everyone. Definitely me style though. If you don't. You should make a My Anime List account.
    Organize, Discuss, Discover - MyAnimeList.net

It's pretty neat. You're able to save and rate every anime you've ever watched and find people with similar tastes.

16. The last anime show I finished up was Samurai Champloo

Some of my other favs are:
    Rurouni kenshin
    Basilisk
    Black Lagoon
    DBZ
    Death Note
    Gungrave

Looking for some more interesting anime to watch...?

17. Oh, and Naruto Shippuuden.