Are there any private pilots who smoke weed?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Superweener, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Yea man, thanks for the insight. You don't think it will eventually be treated like alcohol is? I took my intro flight on monday. Going back tomorrow for my first "real" lesson. Going to give up cannabis after I get my private, maybe before. Been easing back alot lately.

2. You're doing the right thing.  Flying is awesome, you can either see the world flying jets, a crop-duster, doesn't matter.  If you love flying, watching birds and dreaming about it...you'll have a great career in Aviation.  There will be plenty of weed around by the time you retire.
    Good Luck Dude.  

btw....most of the pilots , airline or corporate that I knew all smoked weed early on, but!!!...we all stopped when the drug testing started but still talked about it, especially in Jamaica on a layover when you can smell it all over the Hotel at night.  LOL!!

It just doesn't get any better than that!!!

3. Crop dusting is so scary. And helicopters- no way! The other stuff is great though :) My dad is an airplane mechanic, he told me to stay out of helicopters. They crash so much! Here in Seattle a news crew just crashed and all of them died. His best friend and co owner of the hanger where he works crashed while crop dusting.. He eventually died because of being 80% burnt. Saddest day my father has ever had.
    Sorry Debbie downer, I know. But really think about those jobs long and hard before accepting them. Jets and little planes are awesome! Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Thanks im really enjoying it, ive got 2.6 hours logged now and am getting the hang of it.

5. #65 rozal, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    Thats a myth man! Helicopters are pretty safe, if you know what your doing. There super complex and theres alot to understand and keep up with. Most crashes are pilot error. Id rather be in a helicopter when the engine quits then a plane. You can enter autorotation and safely land in any field vs having to find a suitable runway. But again you have to know what your doing, you have exactly 1 second in the r22 to enter autorotation before you drop below 80% rpm which is the critical speed which you cant recover from.

Plus as cool as fixed wing is I really have no desire to learn to fly them, something about the helicopter that im just enamoured by.

Autorotation is when the blades are freewheeling seperate from the engine allowing the pilot to use the pitch of the blades, airspeed, and rate of decent to keep the blades turning at flying rpm BTW. Not a autopilot of some sorts, seems alot of people think that because of the auto part.

6. I don't think it's a myth! But I think you're right about the pilot error. I guess you just have to always be on guard when flying them. I suppose some helicopter pilots just think- I've been doing this for years, I got this! So it's not so much a myth as the fact is - you can't be cocky when flying one. Maybe?? :)

After I said that yesterday I thought about all the hospitals that use them to transport patients, and I thought, "those don't ever really crash" but maybe it's because they are extra careful when transporting patients.
    So there ya go- you're ahead of the game already!

7. Yep complacency is one of the biggest causes for pilot error. And yea medivac pilots have thousands of hours and are well trained but they still aren't immune to complacency or making bad judgment calls (feeling pressured to do jobs as quick as possible rather then as safe as possible)

8. My new little baby was on one from south bend. Indiana to Indianapolis. I wasn't even worried. Funny, huh, coming from me! LoL! But helicopter rides in Vegas? Fuggedaboutit! :)

9. #69 bongtokes6200, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    one of my moms bf's while i was growing up was a private pilot. he got randomly drug tested, so couldn't smoke on the regular but he would hit the bong with me ocasionally, just real here and there tho because i guess it could really fuck up your shit if you get caught with drugs in your system. he really wanted to smoke, was a fat stoner in college but those fat pay checks were more worth it. sad tho, he smoked spice when it was still legal like a stoner would smoke weed cuz he would still test clean but that stuff is absolutely awful for you and the highs are way more intense and uncontrollable. and the dude was a complete mess of an alcoholic too... just let people smoke weed man fuck, pilots aren't doing anything at all like 90% of the flight anyways.
    and Denzel Washington saved all those people from dying while he was all coked up, its perfectly safe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good luck!!!  The day you solo is one of the epic events in life.....like loosing your virginity, having a kid, or winning the lottery.
    Have fun....it's great flying airplanes, especially Jets or Sailplanes.  I never liked the single engine stuff, too much vibration and noise.
    Sailplanes are quiet, and so are jets...inside!!!
    Good luck in your flying...let us all know when you Solo.

11. Wht about flying a copper? I have always wanted to do that.

Fly a heli for a heliskiing company.

SickAsTits.kklk

12. Go for it, flying a helicopter is awesome I love it. Ive only got 2 1/2 hours left till I solo. Went for my medical today and was freaking out when I had to give a urine sample (last smoked 2 weeks ago) but it is NOT a drug test as I passed no problems and got my medical/student certificate. If your planning to go commercial be prepared to give up weed indefinitely though. Random testing is REQUIRED by the faa for all commercial operations. Bullshit I know.

13. Im thinking about getting my license and eventually want to get a job flying for say QANTAS or Virgin or a private company flying Learjets and such. Anyone have any advice about going through the airforce to get all qualified and set up to fly? seems like it would be one of the cheaper ways to get qualified and probably one of the quickest ways aswell, as you would be flying almost everyday. I live in Australia, but im happy for any advice even if it is not exactly helpful. Thanks normac :)

14. They do not!

15. I've got over 13,000hrs and I still never got the "Hang" of it!  Flying is like a sponge....the more you're exposed to, the more knowledge you soak up.  Pilots never stop learning.  Every time I got in a Simulator, I learned something new, it never stops.

16. lol

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

17. "And the auto pilot just might fly you into the side of a mountain" lol

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

18. Hey guys, I know this is old. Any commercial pilots on here willing to talk strategy for becoming a commercial pilot? I'm 20, 60 hours logged still student pilot. I'd love to talk planes and career strategy

19. Take up an instructor job and log as many hours as you can
    Its now 1500 hours before an airline job- it used to be only 250 as co-pilot until that Colgan crash they bumped it up, if you want to get into anything besides a 172 trainer in the next 5-10 yrs building those 1,500 hours
    Or get into a company that does training and corporate flying and hope to get a jet/king air job

All those kids who went into it just before the FAA ruling on the colgan crash got screwed
    Being told you need another few years of flying before being able to put in an application

Which is why you'd want to get a job as a cargo pilot in order to rack up those hours as fast as possible

The only way sooner is getting more college because they will accept less hours but with a lot of college or
    go Air force or navy and you'll get a job as soon as your out- they all love to hire military