Are there any private pilots who smoke weed?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Superweener, Apr 28, 2011.

1. A bit off topic here. But My teachers name is Mr. Weed and hes a pilot :p

2. Yeah dude I have but I don't fly high. It is literally too much going on. Between talking to tower, maintaining altitude, and adjusting mixtures, it is a no no. Can You Imagine making an ILS approach High :eek:, not to mention those damn holding patterns. Smoke as much as you want but if you fly high, You gonna blow your high.

3. I have a close friend who recently expressed an interest in flying lessons. If commercial/charter pilot is the way he wants to go, does anybody have any good school recommendations or somewhere he should go to get his foot in the door? Thanks!

4. I don't know any, but my neighbor had a friend who owned his own charter business that flew a Gulfstream on call 24/7. Pretty sweet gig for a pilot because the kind of people who want an on-call private jet are loaded. I guess your buddy could get his PPL anywhere though, to start off at least. And then do his commercial/multi/jet ratings at FlightSafety or something. I'd be willing to bet though that FlightSafety has some kind of package deal where you sign up to get all of your licenses up to multi.

http://www.flightsafety.com/

5. I'm bumping. Just curious 'bout this.

6. just had my first flying lesson today! it was tight

7. Nice! Where were you flying out of? Looking to get your PPL only or doing it to go fly for an airlines?

8. I don't get why people would want to do piloting. it's great and all, but too much radiation from the solar for me. I'd rather live my life without that then awesome job for awhile. IDK. Just wanted to say somethin before i go to bed since im stoned

9. Well, flying an airplane in celestial space is just a magical feeling....at least for me.

10. I know right, guess OP hasnt played GTA sAN andreas

11. I'm a private pilot myself having only flown 20 hours. My granddad inspired me after he flew 30,000 hours in commercial airlines and in the air force. He tells me the most awesome stories. Anyways, nice to meet some fellow pilots here :).

12. yea i graduated high school a almost a year ago and i've just been sitting on my ass sense and i've always wanted to fly for commercially ( i travel a lot already) and i feel that this would expand on that. and i committed to this and would give up smoking if i had to but i'd rather not. But do you guys know if the drug test for commercial licenses?( and i refuse to ever smoke while flying, way to much of a risk)

13. I don't think the FAA medical examiner does, but I imagine the airlines do.

Delta does urine.

United does urine.

You can keep searching for yourself. My advice is to skip the smoking if you want to fly hundreds of people around. You have to be on your game 100% and if you got way lit up the night before, you may have trouble focusing if an emergency happens. Stick to weekends and time off (Hah, good luck, its the airlines). My uncle flies and he usually does rotations where he's gone for a few days in a row then back home for a few days in a row. See what works for you, but keep your passengers safe above all. You can smoke through your private license though, as far as I know (and I believe you can find this online) the FAA medical examiner only checks for non-drug related things.

14. Student of 50 hrs...... They drug test you when you get your 3rd class med, which you need to fly solo.... But i do smoke....i will never smoke and fly... that is very irresponsible
    P.S i live in houston

15. yes but atc or anti collision system would warn you well befor this wold be a major issue

16. to fly commercialy you have to get an ATP license not a commercial license.
    But you probably knew that

17. I'm a private pilot myself having only flown 20 hours.

how is it that you are a "private pilot" with only 20 hours?

18. Why are you telling me to not fly and smoke weed. I stated that I NEVER flew a Jet while high for over 25 years. Now that I'm retired because I lost my Medical Certificate, I haven't flown any airplane for over 4 years.

Yes, now do to serious pain issues, rather than take Opiate Pain Medication, I smoke weed a few times a week. It kills the pain, and lets me enjoy listening to my stereo system a lot more. I'm into High-End Audio and a few puffs of good weed make my speakers sound like they cost $25,000.
    My flying days are over and I would never recommend anyone considering a career in Aviation even think about smoking until they retire
    :smoke:

19. You don't need an ATP to fly commercially unless you are a Jet Captain.

20. The FAA requires random drug and alcohol testing for any pilot who flys commercially, FAR135, FAR121. If you have your own airplane with a third class medical, you could probably get away with it but I'd never recommend anyone fly while stoned. I've been a Jet Captain for 25 years but I'm retired now and I smoke weed a few times a week.