Should children be raised a certain religion?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by DrJellydude, Apr 27, 2011.

1. #1 DrJellydude, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    Not sure if this should go into Religion and Spirituality, but Pandoras gets more traffic and I think it's something worth discussing. After watching many of the extreme bible camp videos and then this one: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQKigCl30Sk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Pagan Atheists[/ame]
    I find myself wondering, is it right that children be raised with religion? I personally went to a catholic school through 8th grade, and all it did was turn me away from religion. I'm all for people believing in God if they so choose, but to force your beliefs on a child and mold the way they think instead of letting them find their own way just doesn't seem right to me. What about you guys?

Edit: The title should be: "Should Children be Raised With Religion" Not any specific kind.

2. i think the right thing to do, is if you are religious, show them your religion's ways and stuff, but once they get old enough to watch themselves, give them the option of going to church or not.. and try to expose them to the ways of some different religions when they start getting a little older. i think it would all be fine as long as you don't teach them to hate other religions, or implant it in their heads that there is only one right religion.

3. I wouldnt put such an importance on it. Its not all life is. If kids need to be making a song about it, something is fucked up

Spirituality is something you discover from birth to death

4. Nah you can teach them good morales without the the god part. When their old enough to clearly interpret shit then you can introduce it to them. Only thing Is they'll find out about religion regardless.

5. this is kinda a trick question. i mean theres no way you can raise kids without them picking up your beliefs. theres also genetics involved. you can raise a kid strict cath. and he'll become a priest. and you can raise another kid the same strict way and he becomes a serial killer. ya never know,ya know ?

6. yea you've definitely got a point booboo. people probably should just do whatever goes along with your kid's personality traits... because some of those kids that had religion shoved down their throats as little kids, end up rebelling [hard

7. Ummm,you know this belongs in spirituality and religion.. .. so why..

8. #8 DrJellydude, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    Because I feel like Pandoras is fitting for it as well.

9. me too

10. Something like this belongs in pandora's imo..

11. i think almost any religious discussion could be in pandora's, because sadly, in american society, it has sort of become taboo to ask people about their religion.

12. Why is that? It's controversial, like all religious topics.(so that can't be valid) I don't go into that forum because I don't really like religious arguments because they are essentially pointless as no one is going to accept their wrong, and people get over sentimental.

13. Religion I think is one of the most stupid inventions man has made. Religion is responcible for hundreds of thousands of deaths (and that's just the Christian religion, the crusades for the people who don't know) they "protected" pilgrims but really they tortured people into false confessions and killed them for not being christian. It's worth noting that this happened to the Christians in their early years but any religion that's responsible for murdering that many people is not something I want to be a part of regardless on how they THINK it's changed.

Personally I think that if everyone simply tired to be a good person with out the "I'm right ur not, my gods better that your god" bullshit then this world would be peaceful but no we have to fight over which god is best even though it's just the same fucking bullshit written in a different way so no I don't think kids should be raised in a particular religion. I think that they should be raised to be a good person. Don't rape, murder, steal, lie, etc. This is all basic stuff that people did far before religion and what people do even if they live outside of religion. All the good things people should be with out all The stupid bullshit and religious conflicts.

14. They should only be raised as Jedi or Sith.

15. I was raised to be free thinking in all areas including religion.
    I'm glad of it, happy that I can make my own mind up on all subjects and never feel compelled to follow the crowd for fear of rejection.
    I knew somebody who was a Jehovah's Witness, and he fucking hated it so much, he felt left out during the holidays, he loved the whole idea and vibe of Christmas, but couldn't embrace it because of his parents.
    Even though I don't have a religion, I still celebrate all the Christian holidays because its more of a cultural thing round here than it is a religious thing.

16. Trick question indeed.

Children should not be forced to believe in a specific religion.

2¢

17. my child will be raised to believe in whatever he desires but he will also be raised on some of the morals of the christian/catholic beliefs like I was, even though now I know there's a lot more out there after experimenting with psychedelic drugs I still believe it helps in raising a respectable person for this crazy society ya know?

But yea I would definitely consider myself not a religious type person in the whole god idea but open minded to a lot of interesting concepts

18. Oh hell yea.

19. If I had children, I would raise them to be atheistic and skeptical - because religous movements take advantage of people who are at risk, usually at certain stressful times of their lives such as puberty.

20. #20 FlyingSaucier, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
    I don't think it's right to dictate how parents should raise their kids (to a certain degree), so for the most part, I'm going to say that it's best left to the parent's discretion and how they want their children to be.

Personally though, I'll probably raise my children in the Roman Catholic church, until they are at a point where they can think critically, and then tell them that it's their decision what religion they want to belong to and all that jazz. For some odd reason, I don't like the idea of raising my children as atheists, despite the fact that I am one. My concern is that if I tell them that I don't believe in a God at a young age, they'll be indoctrinated to believe that for the rest of their lives, even if they truly believe in God. On the other hand, it seems much easier to me to reject the existence of a God if you feel that way.

Bottom line, even though I'm as steadfast about my faith (or lack of it), I don't want my kids to see that and follow my lead blindly simply because I'm their father and they think I could never be wrong. I want them to decide on their own. Besides, Catholicism has some great morals in it that have contributed greatly to my moral code, and I think the church had a good impact on my life even if I have recently rejected the more supernatural aspects of their religion.