Grapes

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Freedom, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dandelion leaves are very nice if you get the small ones, the bigger ones are rather bitter.

The Blueberries are almost out!!!They have gone from green to red and are getting a nice purple blue colour, gonna get a few tubs full this year for making jam :)

Your nettles look good :bolt:

2. They make you wet yourself :poke: I know cos someone told me when I was 6. :wave:

Do you mean sloes? :poke::laughing:

:eek: Such cheek from a noob! :laughing:

3. We don't get sloe berry where I am :(

Good job too, I gots me a soft spot for sloe Gin :p

Im eating lots of nature this last month or so :):poke:

4. :laughing:

I always tell people, 'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, but because I HATE vegetables'. :p

Eat 'em up, that'll learn 'em. :smoke:

5. dont expect any grapes this year. next year youll get some, but the year after that youll get a good amount. all theyre gonna do this year is grow like crazy, like someone said expect two-three feet plus growth every year. see if you can find some kinda natural fertilizer (we use rabbit shit, works great) to give them a boost, fox farm happy frog also kicks them into high gear. when you start getting grapes youll want to remove about a third of them from the start so the ones you leave grow big and juicy.

have any clue what kind of grapes they are? my friend made some wine out of green + red grapes and it was THE SHIT. also jelly and the like sound alot harder on paper than it is to do in reality, most of the time is spent waiting for big pots of water to boil, good time to smoke a bowl. no foot squashing though, youd need way more plants than that.

they look good for cuttings, alot of the ones from nurseries dont even look that good. around here at least.

6. You can usually find information bulletins about growing and pruning grapes at your county agricultural extension agent, many times available on line. The agricultural college in your area may also have growing information on many types of fruit crops. The Sunset Western garden book will also give growing tips for grapes as will many other good horticultural references such as Rodale Press.

7. Do you want to see me cry ? :poke::p

Some good advice there man, thanks. :) Although, I thought small grapes were better for making wine :confused:

I'm gonna foot squash mine anyway. :hello:

Thank you! :)

8. #28 TexRx, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011

first a beagle and now you're getting an anaconda python?

makes me think of the movie 'anaconda'

[​IMG]

:)

9. I had the same thing in mind man, I'm gonna get me that exact snake from that exact movie, from what I remember it had serious 'tude and would keep all potential grape burglers away. :hello:

10. i do!!

i don't think you'll ever get grapes..

EVER!!

11. :laughing:

:cry:

Big internet bully :poke:

I'm gonna get the best grapes ever and you won't be allowed to share! You'll be grapeless, ya hear? GRAPELESS! :mad:

12. no grapes for you!!

[​IMG]

13. How's your veggie garden man? :poke::laughing::wave:

SWAMPEEH! :eek:

I put wires up today to help support all the millions and trillions of grapes I'm gonna grow. :p

14. #34 TexRx, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    here's to your happy grapes!!! may some become a bottle or 2........of fine chablis or chandon

cheers!!!

[​IMG]

ADDED: oh, i forgot one......1980 is a good yr. ~ Ya know...... A good 'cuvee dom perignon champagne'

[​IMG]

15. They grow up so fast :cry::D

DSCF0931.JPG

DSCF0932.JPG

Where's my grapes? :mad:

16. How was the wine? :poke::wave::p:smoke:

17. Hey Wizzthing :smoke::wave::poke::D

Can you believe I've just given up wine? :rolleyes::p Now I'm a gin drinker instead, I just need a paper bag to put the bottle in and I'll be a full blown wino/gino. :smoke:

Anyhoo, maybe I can make some Grappa (sp?) out of it or somefink. Here's one of 'em, I've just started training it along the wires.

DSCF0957.JPG

Still a distinct lack of fruit. :laughing:

18. If you have to drink then Gin is good, sloe gin is better :)

your plant looks great, I thought the rain might have washed it all away :smoke:

19. Here's one of 'em, I've just started training it along the wires.

Still a distinct lack of fruit.

If I may put my two cents in, First you are training them out way to early, you need to train the Trunk up to at least 3 feet tall before developing your cordons. In most of the Vineyards that I have worked they are trained to 4-6 feet high. Second it takes at least two years to produce fruit, Really it takes 5 years to produce good edible fruit, and in the wine industry, it takes 10-15 years for the vines to reach max Brix content. Other things to concider if you want to grow them for table grapes you need top prune it hard, leave only a few spurs or two short whips for the grapes to delovolpe on, once the grapes have completed the flowering phase, while the grapes are the size of BBs you need to prune the shoulders, and the tail of each cluster. Taking off about 1/3 to 1/2 of the grapes of will help give you good size.

I can not stress enough how important it is to train your cordons to be at least 3 feet tall. Iif you dont do this and continue to train the cordons to low to the ground, you will never get fruit, because the vines and the clusters will be rotting on the ground.

This is Donna the Amador County farm adviser she almost exclusively works with vines. Mainly grapes, but some kiwis as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfObOPYPC34]YouTube - ‪The Home Vineyard‬‏[/ame]

20. That's great, thanks man! :)

But where were you when I needed this info on page one?! :p;)