Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Rolling a smokeable joint: A step-by-step guide

• Please log in to reply

HerbsINtheBurbs

HerbsINtheBurbs

Spread Green Love

• Old School
  • 4,137 posts
For those who have problems rolling and constantly ask how to roll proper joints, here's a step by step guide to rolling a joint that will smoke properly. This is not for more advanced rolling techniques such as a cone or tulip.

Prerequisites:

A flat surface: preferably in a non-windy area, and made of a material where small fragments cannot be lost and no lint/hairs will be gained (such as a carpet, ugh)
I am using a piece of paper on the floor, remember though, a piece of paper is not adequate on your lap.

A good paper: I reccommend EZ wider 1 1/2's or double wide, zig zags, top, rizlas, bambu, and most hemp or rice papers, but there are many good papers out there. Its best to find your preferred papers through trial and error, if you want to call getting stoned error. There are slow-burning, and flavored papers out there, as well as many other things, so be adventurous.

Note; It is sometimes good to stick two papers together (seen below) to give you more space to roll. Today I will be using HemPire 100% hemp papers, they are large so I do not feel the need for two papers, but I will take a picture of a pair of Bambu chocolate papers put together to demonstrate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Weed: Weed must be ground properly and not too moist, if you have some really really sticky weed, it might not roll properly, so either dry the weed out or don't roll a joint in that instance. Grinders are useful investments for lazy people, but weed can be properly broken up with care by hand. Be sure to remove all stems and seeds at this stage, I hope your weed is seedless for you, but a seed can sneak into some dank sometimes or come in droves on lesser quality bud.

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Steps:

Make a small lip at the bottom of your paper with the glue facing up and on top. The lip should not come up past the halfway point of the paper, or weed might roll out the ends later.

Posted Image

Spread your green evenly throughout that lip, taking care to remain a good half inch or more from the ends on each side to minimize spillage. This is the point at which some people insert their roach, so they can roll it up into their joint. A roach is either the end of a smoke joint or a small piece of paper or cardboard paper at the mouth end of a joint so you can smoke it until it is next to nothing, so you don't draw through and weed, and so the end can become moist but still draw very well. I put my roach in later however.

Posted Image

Bring the lip over the weed and bring down, this may need to be repeated and may take several times before you do not spill much weed, depending on your skill. Some weed may be spilled, but it can be used later in the joint. Keep this up until you have a nice tight log in the bottom of the joint, that you can comfortably roll upwards.

Posted Image

Roll the lip making sure to push down on the log to retain tightness, and making sure that you edge is folded in across the whole paper. Then once you reach the glue, lick and seal making a tight fit.

Posted Image

You may be finished here, but if you spilled before there is a nice open joint end where you can drop in weed and tamp down with a small tool (pencil, pen roach clip, needle, twig) that can be almost anything.

Posted Image

A finishing strategy that some may use to make a tight joint, it to tamp down one end and pinch it shut, and grab ahold of the flattened paper and shake down the weed inside, this can often make the joint density more uniform, but don't make it too tight, or it will not burn properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image
This is where I insert the roach, with the extra room in the paper that I have tamped down, I take a small tear of index card, roll it into a rounded moutpiece and stick it into the end of the joint, make sure it is not too big or too small. If it is too big it will break the paper. A slightly too small roach can be remedied by making another or by wetting the paper so it conforms to the roach shape, this improves the roaches stability by attaching it the the paper.

The pen indicates the location of the roach

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last step is to enjoy your smoking of your joint, which may not be the prettiest joint, but damn it to hell, it works right nice.:smoking:
Posted Image

But if you hate joints, or still can't roll them, there are plenty of options.
You can invest in a roller, which are very inexpensive

or....

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Dalax, infiniteawesome and PitThugZ like this

Dalax

Dalax

Stoned 2 The Bone

• Old School
  • 1,239 posts
cool post +rep

enfiladeDTS

enfiladeDTS

Rolodex Propaganda

• Old School
  • 1,300 posts
No offense but that joint looks a little skinny. It doesn't really look uniform either, but whatever.

HerbsINtheBurbs

HerbsINtheBurbs

Spread Green Love

• Old School
  • 4,137 posts
you have to understand, I know its ugly, but it smokes perfectly every time

UniXelation

UniXelation

[Pink Floyd Fanatic]

• Registered Upgraded
  • 557 posts
It's called rolling a smokeable joint not rolling a stylish, cigarette looking joint.

nosemonster

nosemonster

Cook it!

• Old School
  • 2,280 posts

No offense but that joint looks a little skinny. It doesn't really look uniform either, but whatever.

i agree

i like being a critic

legalizebud89

legalizebud89

Got Blunt?

• Old School
  • 2,207 posts
Roll your own joint the way you like it..:smoke:

Jaded

Jaded

• Bronze Member
  • 7,506 posts

getupstandup420

getupstandup420

Danse Kalinda Ba Doom

• Registered Upgraded
  • 311 posts

you have to understand, I know its ugly, but it smokes perfectly every time

that's cool man, it gives a j character when it looks differently. i admire your j's man, because i sure know that mine look different than everyone elses also. we can all roll cigarette joints if we really wanted to, but who wants to do what a rolling machine can do when we have all these possibilities...so all in all, nice man. oh and burbs, i like ya man, i got your back:smoke:

heybulldog

heybulldog

• Registered Upgraded
  • 331 posts
my boy

i never bothered to learn how to make roaches

+rep

Hazed

Hazed

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,494 posts
eh its okay

could be much better but cool guide

looks like you've been rollin j's for like 4-5 mnths.

infiniteawesome

infiniteawesome

Kush Control

• Old School
  • 2,062 posts
yeh, i roll good looking joints, but only half the time they smoke well, the other times they're rolled too tightly and i can't get ANYTHING off them, so i mainly smoke out of a pipe, but when i'm feeling luxurious (if i happen to have enough $$ to splooge on a spliff once in a while) i'll roll a good joint. Personally, in terms of sheer pleasure, i have to say the joint is my fav way of smoking, though I like it out of a blunt wrap that has been significantly reduced to the size of a standard joint leaf cuz i like the taste.

Nice rolling papers ya got there, I especially like the bambu chocolate one, i'll have to pic that one up n'shit.

Dazedandconfuse

Dazedandconfuse

mind tripper

• Registered Upgraded
  • 336 posts
Thats a good post. I can roll nice joints so i didnt need the tutorial. But if I was just startin out i could see how it would of helped. ALOT. I think you should of explained how to make it into a log more like to tell them to roll the joint in between your fingers untill its a log then roll.

BlitzedinBokey

BlitzedinBokey

Sir Sticky of Icky

• Old School
  • 1,355 posts
i would deffinitly blaze that J but if you went to all the trouble to make this tutorial i would have thought u woulda rolled a better J

HerbsINtheBurbs

HerbsINtheBurbs

Spread Green Love

• Old School
  • 4,137 posts

that's cool man, it gives a j character when it looks differently. i admire your j's man, because i sure know that mine look different than everyone elses also. we can all roll cigarette joints if we really wanted to, but who wants to do what a rolling machine can do when we have all these possibilities...so all in all, nice man. oh and burbs, i like ya man, i got your back:smoke:

:)

MoBUD

MoBUD

• Registered Upgraded
  • 261 posts
nice guide dood ... if it smokes well, thats all that really counts.

HerbsINtheBurbs

HerbsINtheBurbs

Spread Green Love

• Old School
  • 4,137 posts

nice guide dood ... if it smokes well, thats all that really counts.

ain't that the truth

your sig just made me crack up :smoke:

TastyBleach

TastyBleach

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
might as well ask here. I roll a nice TIGHT joint. They look good and coned (Ive always been good at that) but how do i know how tight to make it. It seems like i cant draw anything, im thinking adding a roach to open the end would help.

But also i roll my blunts tight as shit and i can draw perfect.

Edit - Well not edit but i was rolling some tea (practicing) and realized ive been twisting off the end im inhaling and i wasnt getting smoke through the twisted paper. Sadly this took me 2 months to figure out. Oh well im a dumbfuck.

syntax13

syntax13

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,694 posts
If it smokes well, then thats all you need...I've seen joints that looked like cigarettes that smoked like shit and joints that looked ilke shit that smoked like cigarettes.

Xenj

Xenj

9mm & a 3-piece suit

• Registered Upgraded
  • 362 posts

might as well ask here. I roll a nice TIGHT joint. They look good and coned (Ive always been good at that) but how do i know how tight to make it. It seems like i cant draw anything, im thinking adding a roach to open the end would help.

But also i roll my blunts tight as shit and i can draw perfect.

Edit - Well not edit but i was rolling some tea (practicing) and realized ive been twisting off the end im inhaling and i wasnt getting smoke through the twisted paper. Sadly this took me 2 months to figure out. Oh well im a dumbfuck.

Joints are easy to mess up if you don't have it down second nature. Personally I think much of the way a joint will turn out is dependant on the prep work: grinding the weed and laying it evenly (or for a cone, what have you.) After that I always make sure I tuck the paper under the weed so the mouthpiece is nice and tight, but no weed comes through. This will insure that your joint hits properly. I always roll cones so this works best for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users