Northern Lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by baxterfinch, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Has ANYONE grown Northern Lights before? i have six two week old plants and i am wondering what i should expect. how tall will they get? what the hell is trimming? ha and when should i switch from 24/0 to 18/6

2. for switching to 18/6 just ease down the time throughout 1 week till u reach 18/6 as soon as u can. i find 18/6 seem to grow better since the plant has time to rest and as for northern lights it just depends cuz mine grew really branchy i had to tie alot of Branch's up but then i see sum were there fat and bushy so idk.

3. Here's what you need to know about Northern Lights:

Northern Lights
    [Sensi Seeds]

Indica
    Origins - NL5 x NL2
    Flowering - 45-50 days
    Harvest - Mid October

The Northern Lights (NL) is one of the most potent and famous indica varieties. Even though there are a lot of copies circulating around with variations on the name, there are only 3 pure types from the original development of Northern Lights, which Sensi was lucky to acquire.

Historically, the NL 1, a longer, more stretchy type with a fresh scent and good bud formulation, was the basis of the NL cross that was sold as Sensi's Northern Lights. Currently, the NL 5 has taken over the most important role in the cross. Because NL 5 adds potency and reduces flowering time, but is not dominant in taste and smell, it also plays a starring role in the overall breeding plan at the Cannabis Castle. It has functioned as a test case for many crosses. The f1 generation is very predictable, giving uniform results and passing uniformly onto its hybrids it parents. The NL 2 contributes to the overall vigor of the plant and strength of the high, also lending its spider mite resistance to the cross.

Highly adapted to indoor growing, Northern Lights is a satisfying yielder that can finish in just over 6 weeks. The best results are obtained from hydro culture gardens. Small sea of green plants or bigger indoor plants will both do well, but remember that yield is directly related to the amount of light and space.

A petite plant averaging between 4 and 5 feet, NL has dense, resin-rich flowers and wide-fingered indica leaves. The aroma is pungently sweet and the taste is a flavorful mixture of sweet and spicy. The high is a potent physical experience that feels comfortably lazy and relaxing.

Nortern Lights' fame extends to the harves festivals where it claimed the overall High Times Cannabis Cup win in 1990, and the Cup's award for the pure Indica category in 1988-89.

4. copying and pasting from internet sites does not help. ive read this multiple times from other sources. i want an experienced grower to help. someone who has grown NL before. thanks though

5. the people that wrote that INVENTED growing NL. what other info do u expect to get? that pretty much summed up everything u need to know.

trimming is cutting the fan leafs off the bud when u harvest.

6. but ive already read it man. i just want recent growers input.

7. #7 Rumpleforeskin, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
    I tried NL a few times. Seems pretty easy to grow. My plants came out a bit short (3.5' tall). I stopped growing that strain because it is right in the middle of the road as far as quality and yield go.
    They grow best not cramped too tight with the other plants in your room. It seems to need as much light as you can give it. I put my NL right under the lamp so it would keep up with my other strains. Very tolerant to over feeding and over watering (I did some of that).

Keep your veg lights on 24 hours a day (plants don't need rest), you want to get as much growth as you can from this strain.

8. thank you! awesome i was wondering if i should just keep lights on 24/7. good to know!

9. I LOVE this strain. When I grew it, The lights were switched from 24/0 to 18/6 after the 1st two weeks of veg. After 5 more weeks of veg time, they went into 12/12 under a 400w HPS. It has been my experience that this strain is very "branchie" & if you are growing in soil, you will want AT LEAST 3gal pots...they will love you even more however, if you go with 5gal.

As far as what you can expect from NL yield wise...that will depend on a few different factors, light, pot size, grow area, nutes, etc...you get the idea. But overall, NL is a decent yielder & 1.5 - 2.5 oz wouldn't be an unrealistic expectation.

Good luck with your grow.

10. You don't really know what you're talking about at all, do you?

11. It is sometimes said, "the atmosphere is electric, "and the northern lights tours, this is especially so. The swirl of color in the night sky, the aurora borealis is the result of the action and charge reaction gases in the upper atmosphere.