Using Semi fresh product for BHO

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Shambles, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Alright so the time has come, i have cropped all of my plants and i have finished trimming them.
    they are in brown paper bags before i put them into jars, but i was wondering if i could use the shake/popcorn buds for BHO right away (they have been drying for 2 days after trimming) or if i should wait a little more untill it dries out to a crisp.
    thanks all!

2. for making BHO you want them to be crispy. when you do the extraction the butane penetrates better when the material is very dry. this will affect your yield. also dried/cured material also has less chlorophyll due to the breakdown during that process. so a bit cleaner of a final product also.

i recommend using a clean coffee grinder to make the material fine powder. this will help with yield as well. i imagine you are using a honey bee extractor style method. make sure you have a coffee filter of some sorts at the end of your chamber to eliminate the fine material to pass through into your oil. have fun.

-shodan

3. I was looking more to make honey oil, and stay away from the darker stuff,
    What I did was wait for it to dry to a crisp and filled my glass honey bee with popcorn buds, not grinder up, used one can of butane on 2 full honey bees full an ended up with around 2.5 g of really nice, really light golden shatter

Main concern was the drying time haha thanks!

4. #4 nernerderd, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    seems as if you did well. but id still say grind that stuff up i'd bet your yield would improve as least about a gram. i used only stems from some ditch weed. ground it up to the fine powder like i was talking about. yielded was very golden, and not dark at all. it was honey oil. very honey like in resemblance, and smoked wonderful. so if your using better material than DTB(down town brown) and you probably are if you using actual nugz. you cant get a dark color from BHO if your material is quality, same as making any kind of hash for that matter.

just curious how many oz of butane did you use? and how much plant material?

-shodan

5. I know that it wont make "black" oil, but it will not be as golden as the stuff i made just from bud. (i like the really golden shatter, not so much the darker golden stuff, ill include pics)
    i was thinking on spraying all of the popcorn buds, letting them dry out, and griding them up and doing a second rinse.
    As for the amount i used, i sparyed a total of 22grams of really light, fluffy popcorny buds(all dry) and used 1,1/2 cans of butane,
    yielded 2.9g

Anyway im including pictures, the first one is of the shake i am using from my harvest, and the third one is of the first run of BHO i made out of this stuff.

Attached Files:

6. well dude butane is kinda expensive. if your planning on doing this more than once you'll find that you want to be more efficient with it. the DTB finely ground stem BHO that i made looked exactly like your dank bud honey oil. the DTB was actually decent mids seemingly THC laden more than CBN laden.

btw the color comes from the tricrome color mainly. if your harvesting fresh cloudy trices your BHO will be light in color. if the tricomes are amber being more canabanoid in nature your oil will be more bronze in color. butane extracts tricromes very well without bringing much else with it. so if you havnt done my suggested way before i'd give it a try.

i have some oil right now that was frozen with dry ice. it shatters nicely. this is where you get the named true golden shatter hash oil. great stuff.

-shodan

7. butane is expensive?

i get a vector can 5x refined for like 5 bucks.

8. Wow, OP, please go to the BHO thread. Do NOT grind your weed, especially to a powder for BHO. Pure Frosty buds is how you will yield the most, and the most potent oil. Horrible advice to grind it up. I run buds, and I run my super frosty trim and shake, and the difference in yield is measurable, and the difference in potency is even bigger.

And from what I have learned from the BHO vets, it is best to run it with freshly dried, uncured bud. Visit the thread is in this very forum on BHO, for accurate info.

9. well ive used 14 grams of ground stem(no bud or leaf) and got well over 2-2.5 grams in oil. most BHO potency ranges from the upside of the 90-98 percentile, and not that much less unless your using shitty quality butane.

so really my point is not invalid nor without experience behind it. ive tried it with dried buds, not dried buds, kinda dried buds, cured buds, leaf trimings, and stems. used ditch weed, mids, and danks mostly the whole spectrum. ive also tried it side by side, ground stuff and just partially broken up stuff.

like i said earlier it seems that yield is mostly affected by the penetration power of the butane. if you were able to hold your material in the butane liquid for a period of time instead of having it follow a drain path due to gravity or pressure. you would then be able to ensure full penetration of your material.

how many oz of butane does a "vector can 5x refined" have?

-shodan

10. 320ml so google how many ounces that is

11. i realize that BHO quality is hard to beat. but you can get similar results with bubble hash if done properly(if made with quality bud or leaf material). the thing is also that you can use any quality of weed to get a final product thats potent as hell.

so you have 3oz of material... according to what numbers were posted not by me. thats about 4 runs(22g+22g+22g+18). so do the math (2.9+2.9+2.9+about2.5) = 11.2gs. thats using a total of 6 cans of butane. what i've done is 14g = about 2.5g oil. this make a 3.8g difference. the cans i used were i think 5.6oz of butane. used one can per 14g's. that would be 6 cans as well. assuming the cans that were used were 5oz cans this makes a 25% difference! these numbers from my runs that i am using in this example are from some DTB not dank.

maybe the method i have adopted isnt the best for sure. the yields i get do speak for themselves though. and the quality surpasses anything else i usually can find elsewhere. not trying to be boastful, but i do like efficiency and not wasting. plus be careful on buying large amounts of butane. if tracked the drug enforcement officials might suspect your making meth, lol. apparently butane is used often for part of the extraction process for Pseudoephedrine meth. so dont used a credit/debit card. dont want to mess with that kinda of attention.

-shodan

12. fresh bud can be used just off the plant to make glass/shatter. its just harder. sometimes it tastes amazing but the yield is always lower. if you have a decent grow & want some quick oil a tube shouldnt matter and you might be surprised. just use a little less tane than usual & make sure its purged correctly.

anywhere between just off the plant and dry is gonna reduce yield/quality a lot though. when its just off the plant you can use less tane because all the trich heads are sticking strait up but that doesnt apply after like 8 hours of dry time.

i do a wet tube every harvest and the oil is always good. you do kinda have to know how to work it to get the glass though.

& vector is 7 bucks at my shop but wtf.. we're making a gram of something out of something most people pay 100 bucks for & smoking it in half the time. does 7 dollars really matter at this point in the game?

13. 320ml = 10.82oz (this adds to my penetration theory)

14. ive also had the oil a very very slight greenish yellow in color from using right off the plant buds. this was not ground it was broken of the stem carefully. super low yeild was amazing in flavor though.

i guess 7 dollars if you put it that way isnt much. compared to making good bubble has still is kind of a waste. i get 8 grams of bubble hash for an hours worth of work. and its not dangerous at all. idk i usually make BHO for myself for an occasional extra good time being high. ive thought about making oil dipped dank nugs outta vats of it if i could produce enough trimming and what not. this might be where i have concluded there is an cost versus yeild inefficiency goin on.

anybody know how to get propane style tanks of butane?

-shodan

15. good points shodan.

but when its free trim you cant say no to free oil, at my lhs if you get more then 5 they give you a 20 percent discount.

but i never buy alot at once.

the shop also just got some ADORABLE little oil pieces in. i think they are china but they are nicely priced at like 40 bucks with a vapor globe and nail.

16. #16 The Bunker, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Check out the Tamisium Extractor. The 2 oz. is $1250. It is a recirculating butane extractor. You buy a tank of butane from Airgas. It recaptures 100% of the butane, and can be used over and over. It uses a 22# cylinder with a liquid siphon valve. 99.5% butane sells for around $180. They sell 99.9% for $750 if you want lab grade butane. These things yield 20+%. They also have an 8oz. model for $4350. They are expensive at first, but will pay for themselves. Imagine putting in 8oz., flipping a few valves, the material gets
    flooded with 3/4 of a gallon of liquid butane, and an hour later pulling out 2oz. of oil, and recovering all of your butane to do it again.

17. fucking awesome post man. ive been trying to figure out an efficiency strategy for basically reusing the butane exactly how you describe this interesting extractor. im going to look into it.

-shodan

18. Can you link me to the thread? Really need that info. Much thanks.

19. #20 tharealmclovin, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    IDK if any of you have ever dealt with AirGas. Its not quite as easy to get tanks of pure butane without alot of red tape.