Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabutter in a crockpot

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by bluhdmoney, Apr 6, 2011.

1. hello everyone

im new to this site and am in need of some advice. I'm currently attempting to make some cannabutter right now. So far the steps I have taken are as followed. First I started with 1ounce of nicley chopped trimmings which i grinned in a blender. I melted two sticks of unsalted buter in my crockpot on low and added my trimmings. I then added some water to wet the mixture. So far I have had the crockpot on low for 2hrs and have stirred once each hour.I plan to leave the mixture in the crockpot for another 2 hours or so and drain into a glass tuperware with coffee filters and then let sit in fridge overnight. Does this all sound right or are there any steps I can do differently. I have basically just taken used knowledge from friends and how to sites and was wondering if there was anything i could do different. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks everyone and smoke it up! :D

2. Cook it in the crock pot for 16 - 24 hours. Strain it using cheese cloth.

I'm not sure if using the coffee filters to strain it through will work. When making bubble hash people use coffee filters because the water will flow through the filter but the tricomes stay in the filter.

3. Will the butter become stronger the longer its left in the crock pot or after a certain time is it as cannaby as its going to get? I'm happy to leave it for the cause but no use wasting it letting it cook if no good is coming from it.. Basically will 72 hour butter be stronger than 24 hour butter?

BTW - My research has told me to use Ghee butter as it's the fattiest and that's what brings the THC out.

4. I'm sure there is a point of diminishing return associated with length of cooking time. My research (don't have any links) said 16-24 hours is best.

I've only made cannabutter a couple of different ways, 45 min on the stove top and the 16-24 hr crock pot. The crock pot method was much stronger. I also decarbed the herb before putting it in the crock pot so I'm sure that helped.

5. I'd agree with Bounty that there's a diminishing point of return at some point, but there's a lack of research in that area ;)

Generally speaking, and in my experience, the longer I let it sit the more potent it is and the better the end result. I haven't done the crock pot, but I've simmered double boiler for an hour and many times for 12-24+ hours and the difference in potency is pretty noticeable, so the longer you can afford to let it "cook" generally the better, but I can't see any reason going too long, i.e., no reason to go more than 24 hours unless you forget and/or want to experiment to see if you can notice a difference.