EZ Clone Headaches

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by enzymeone, Mar 30, 2011.

1. New Ez Clone collars suck
    Replaced the collars for my ez cloner with their collars not generic, the new collars are softer and more porous, because of that the roots grow through the collars.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I don't have any input on using the EZ cloner, aside from me wanting to purchase one, now I'm not so sure. Because of it's complexity & cost I'm gonna keep it simple, and let me share why.

this was my first attempt at cloning. BTW, I had 100% success. These pictures were taken at day 8, Sunday to Sunday.
    5-8-2011.1.jpg
    I used Rapid Rooters, I can't say enough good things about'em, I'm very happy with my first time results. I let them sit in a tray filled with nute solution made up of Thrive Alive, another great product, good for all around use in any stage of growth.
    5-8-2011.2.jpg
    I kept them in a dome on my back porch, no direct sunlight, you can tell from the picture that it's very shady. I mist the clones once or twice a day with straight water, and I also misted the surface of the Rapid Rooters. To be honest not all of them rooted in 8 days, Sunday to Sunday, but by Tuesday all of them were rooted & transplanted.
    5-8-2011.3.jpg
    These pictures are of the first 4 that were rooted by Sunday. So as you can see, very simple, very cheap:D oh and speaking of cheap, I used Home Depot rooting hormone because the local hydro shop was closed. I did shave off an ultra thin layer of bark from the stem, I don't know if this was worth it, it weakened the stem, I actually bent a few stems trying to insert them into the Rapid Rooters:mad:.
    5-8-2011.4.jpg
    I forgot to mention that whenever I misted the clones I misted the inside of the dome.
    5-8-2011.5.jpg
    I kinda followed Sublbc from Youtube, but not completely. The dude is a nerd, but he's got skills, besides aren't nerds just people who are really into something, which is usually academics because scholars are often times labeled so, then I guess I'm a cannabis nerd, no shame in that, in fact it's cool as F@#$!:cool:

Seems like you're leaning towards giving the Rapid Rooters a try, I say go for it. Best of luck to you, Peace, and Aloha!
    Fats

3. 30% hydrogen peroxide dilute at 5ml per liter use a 24 hour cycle then rinse thoroughly with RO water or tap water if you have no RO (reverse osmosis). Also i highly recommend you clean the system after each use to be sure you have no contaminants left behind. Florakleen will be useless only will help to unclog the emitters and will leave residue of its own behind (will help prevent mold/mildew to a certain extent).

Clonex (be sure never to dip into jar you can cause contaminants use a clean spoon to dip into jar then use the gel on the spoon to cover the plant.

Roots Excelurator 0.3ml per liter with 1ml per liter of algen extract is my receipe that works with great success. Once the roots have caught i use X-Plode as a folilar spray to help branch them out (usually see results in 2 days after the spray).

4. Got a friend who uses bio-green clean and he swears by it. FWIW

5. #45 Freshfed, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Suggestion: If you Use ph 5.7 water you can half the time it takes you to root.

6. #46 Freshfed, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    Using same type of thing,

Ph 5.7 water with a drop of clonex.
    24/7 under flouros. 1st attempt took bout 8-9days all rooted, 4 strains.

Didn't use bleach, boiling water instead.
    Just added first few drops of nutes today.

All looking good until the mornin after I added feed! (today)
    Look withered burnt and pretty fuked (not dead but heading that way)
    E.c 0.3
    Ph.5.7 drifted
    To 6.
    Temp is 22c! (x1.8+32 for fahrenheit)

Not good! Lesson? Nutes an bumps do not mix well! Back to water!

7. i built my aero machine. i use it all the time for cloning and have a real good success rate achieving roots. i try to keep my ph around 5.5 to 6.5 and use a 10-10-10 fertilizer. i let the machine run 24/7. i always break the machine down every two weeks or so and scrub it with soap and running water and have had no problems

8. you put 10/10/10 in when you clone?

9. yeah but i use it half dose. and have had no problems the trick is to really scrub everything with a good hard bristle brush and soap for cleaning

10. Just coming back to this thread after so long I wanted to add something I forgot before. (in case it help anyone)

This time of year, when its cold, I have a hard time keeping my water warm enough since my cloner sits on the floor. I put an aquarium heater on the bottom of it set to 76F for the 7-10 days until I get roots coming out of every clone. Once I have at least SOME roots coming out of every clone, I drop the heater to 67F for the remainder of the time in the cloner.

Everything else is the same.. only tap, nothing else and no headaches.. ALWAYS 100%.

11. o got mine new so there isnt any cleaning issues i used the clear rez and a tbs per gallon of bleach thats it (and it reeks of bleach). the rez is set to 67 the temp has never hit 70 i still got nothing but brown sludge

12. Don't see anything EZ here and 20 clones dead!

After reading this thread I used peroxide to clean sprayers. I don't know how much peroxide to use for 5 gal?
    I have also purchased some clear Rez.

1 tore down
    2 cleaned with bleach and ran w/o sprayers 1hr
    3 wiped down w peroxide
    4 soaked sprayers in peroxide
    5 Rinsed well with shower head
    6 ran with tap water w/o sprayers 10 min
    7 changed rinsed again
    8 ran with tap 2 hrs
    9 emptied filled with RO
    10 1 oz clear rez 11run no clones 2 days
    11 not sure what to add or not to add wtf?

If this doesn't work in the trash it goes. So much work

13. i also have ez cloner classic edition 128 .
    i first rinsed everything in my tub with clean ro water i bought at the store it is ph at 7 i believe , i always use same ro water from same owner no changes in water i use it for my soil and works .

i started on the 7th it is now the 29th and no roots i have had the pump running every day except on the 23 around 8 or 9 evening i took more cuts from same mother (indica) and i went to the room the morning only to found 1 collar off and water leaking out . i turn off unit and found 1 emitter out of the unit my fault, and i added clean ro water turn machine back on . 

i am running 1k mh from horti . was running 24 hrs , i've now chaged to 20 hrs on 4  hrs off . 
    i have not dump my water ever except when i added the ro water on the 24th . few gallons worth 

14. Indicas can take forever to root. i recommend slitting the stem with a razor knife to expose te inne part of the stem, that way the roots have a path to get out and dont have to pierce the outer stem

15. Fill easy cloner up add two cups of bleach and let it run for 24 four hours nothing can survive that

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I agree w those saying you need to sterilize your system each cycle. I had failures years ago and went through all this stress. It put me out for over a month.

I now bleach my system aggressively after each cycle AND heat sterilize permaclone collars. This covers all your bases. It doesnt hurt to break down everything and clean the cracks w bleach or peroxide, too.

17. #58 CocoCola, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    Oh, If you don't have access to sterilizable cloning collars, pay the $0.50 ea and replace your collars every cycle. Be sure to sterilize your system w the old collars in and rinse w the new collars in place. ...Totally empathize w you guys' stress.

18. #59 WSGR420, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    Ok so I had all the problems that all of you are talking about. But I was able after many hours of research and thought to solve the problem. So what I discovered is really very simple. What we are doing when cloning is trying to grow roots from basically a cut stem. Obvious right. So in nature when a plant needs to find either water or nutrients what does in do. It grows longer roots. So thinking outside the box I decided to clean my system and put nothing but fresh filtered water in my cloner and ever since I did this I have had 100% rooting by all cuttings no matter how small or big. I know that this goes against what all the nutrient company's say. But remember they want to sell product. Keep your system clean between cycles, light bleach wash than rinse. Real easy takes 10 minutes. Should show roots in about 1 to 2 weeks every time. Just try it you have nothing to lose. The problem I found is that trying to feed them while rooting should be taking place is countering the root growth. Why would they need to grow roots if they already have all the food available now. So the idea is to starve them and make go looking for food. That will force them to make roots. I always use a new foam collar. And leave at least one row of leaves below the top of the cutting. The food that is stored in these leaves is what the plant will live on until it creates roots. If anyone has any questions just ask.

19. #60 Spam and Eggs, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    I built 3 home made 40 site clone boxes with cheap pumps and pvc. Over the past year I've done numerous runs, with non sterile blades, old tap water from the previous runs, basically dirty and unclean conditions. I hover over 90% success and this is my tip. Don't add much to your water, if anything at all. I add 2 cap fulls of super thrive to about 5-6 gallons of water and that's it. I see roots in 7-9 days, and thick, long roots at 12-14 days. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid :)

EDIT: Stonerfail, I forgot to mention that I find when I scrape the entire stem from the bottom up 1 inch or so, I get a higher success rate. If the stems are thick enough for it, I also split them with my razor.