EZ Clone Headaches

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by enzymeone, Mar 30, 2011.

1. #1 enzymeone, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
    After a serious bit of searching and reading (not only on GC), I decided I have to start my own thread. My EZ Clone (60 site) has been giving me some real issues. When I purchased the machine brand new, I had a 95% success rate in 14 days. By the 5th run, I am lucky to get 10% after 21 days. There is soo much conflicting information about what pH should be, whether pH matters during cloning at all, what gels or root boosters to use etc. What is most frustrating is that I feel like I haven't changed anything in my process.

I tried running hot bleach water through the entire system (in a bathtub with the red sprayers all unscrewed) and then rinsed aggressively with plain tap water. I cut all my clones from healthy mothers with a razor blade, dip the cuttings in clonex for a minute or two and place them in the EZ clone while it's running. I run the pump 15 min on / 15 min off, and I keep the air tube running 24/7. Water temps stay around 71f, I try to keep the pH around 6.0. Currently I'm on day 8, no signs of any roots, the bottom tips are slightly brown and most of them are curling upward.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. What are you using for light? Do you use a humidity dome?:confused:

3. I have the same issues and thought running a high chlorine solution would help and it seemed to work for a few days and now the brown rot is back and I'm fed up. tried the poolshock treatment. my next step is going to be pretty drastic. I'm going to take the foam inserts and soak in a strong poolshock solution then maybe the dishwasher or tap bath after. and will then scrub the ez clone with poolshock and then run it for 20 min with the poolshock dump fill with tap run for 20 dump and refill with fresh tap and start over. if that don't work then my other choice is to buy new manifold, pump and inserts cause I believe the problem lies in one of those 3 parts.

4. Sounds like we should all switch to rapid rooters. I keep hearing more and more about problems people have had with EZs....

Todderfran, the light I'm using is a little cheap fluorescent from Home Depot, which has yielded perfect results before, with no humidity dome. Those two variables have stayed very constant from when I had great results compared with what I'm getting now.

5. Went to a grow store yesterday and the guy recommended running the ez clone for 4 hours with 2 cap fulls of flora kleen, dumping it out, running it for 4 hours with plain water, dumping it out, then setting it up, using 5ml Power Clone (from GH) and 30ml bloom. I really haven't been using any nutes because I have read time and time again that what creates roots is lack of nutrients.

He said he runs his for a year before he breaks it down and cleans it like this. I had no idea that was even possible with these things. I thought they had to be cleaned for every run. He said he gets massive roots in 7-8 days... I'd be happy if I could consistently get ANYthing in 8 days.

6. you guys have to clean the ez cloner after each use. Meaning, after you take out your batch of clones , strip the whole thing down and clean the fucker really good. How clean is the water thats going into it?

7. Bumble,

I have been breaking the whole thing down and cleaning every component thoroughly every time, I'm using tap water to fill it up. I haven't changed anything from when I used to get great results.

The guy at the grow store said he leaves his EZ Clone running YEAR ROUND (as in 1 cleaning per year) and gets solid roots in 7-8 days. Can anyone comment on this?? :eek::eek::eek:

8. yea he's lying that guy only cleans once a year but his partner cleans it every 2 months or so. lol

9. I gave up like you guys did and rebuilt and replaced my manifold spray after doing everything done above. The brown gunk. My local hydro guy said he has a aqua product to combat the problem. Looks like I will be visiting him soon to get it. But he said it works as he know others who has gone through the same thing with the gunk

10. I think he is full of it unless he is adding a chemical

11. #11 enzymeone, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
    Yes, he said he is adding FloraKleen. He said he adds 30ml more every time he puts new cuttings in there. I don't see why he would lie to a potential repeat customer.

Is this completely unrealistic?

12. I will have to try it. Right now I just clean everything real well to maintain the 100%. I know that there are products to keep the water clean. I know I am going to get some. But thanks for clarifying that he is using chemicals to keep mold, mildew and the brown yuck from developing. Did you get any yet?

13. Get some 30% hydrogen peroxide and dilute with recommended water and clean the whole system every time you get done with a batch of clones. The dude at the grow shop is bullshitting you, you have to treat growing like brewing beer. That means keep everything clean and you'll have less problems. Breaking your system down is a good idea, just add the hydrogen peroxide and you'll be back up above the 95% mark.

Good luck, peace

14. Thanks. I never thought about using HP, great Idea! Bleach can kill! But I am back to having great results again because i am breaking everything down and cleaning. I make sure when I make a bucket manifold that I can break it down and run treated towels down the pipes. I am also convinced that my pump is where it all starts from so i give that more attention in the cleaning. I just tore one down yesterday after the last clone went out, 100% again, and when I pulled the pump apart the smell was there. So it was creeping back for sure. Thanks for the tip as i have another clone bucket to clean in the next day or so. I will try the HP solution....Thanks Man!

15. ]Get some 30% hydrogen peroxide and dilute with recommended water and clean the whole system every time you get done with a batch of clones. I thought 30% peroxide was too strong for plants. and what are you talking about recommended water? how much peroxide for a 60 site cloner?

16. It doesn't take a lot, you don't want to go over 10% concentration in your solution. If your not running organic nutrients you can add it to your reservoir as a "dead res" technique to add oxygen to your plants. So to already answer your question, no it won't hurt them but; you don't want to use it straight and don't get this crap on your skin!

Good luck, peace

17. Rowdybaba, can you explain what you mean whan you say "dead res"? I've searched all over GC and google but can't find one person mentioning dead res. Yeah I'm going nowhere close to 10%... Florakleen recommends 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon and even more mild for young plants, that's less than 1%. 10% sounds like instant suicide, not sure where you are gettting that number from.

Also, can you explain why you guys keep suggesting the guy at the grow store would lie to me? :confused::confused: What would his motivation be for that?? I live in Colorado where there are dozens and dozens of grow stores. The competition is pretty stiff. If people were lying to customers they would go out of business pretty quick... not sure how it is where you live. But I can't see any reason he would be motivated to lie to me, especially when I was about to spend more money on other stuff and he suggested a cheaper easier route.....

18. Mine works great. Runs 24/7. I take it appart and clean it often though.

19. Smokeythatdopey,

What nutrients are you using if any? Do you cut your clones underwater? You say you run it 24/7, so your pump never shuts off? (Mine is on 15/off 15 so the water doesn't get too hot). Do you run the airtube?

Thanks

20. Well I cut a new batch the night before last... I'll keep you guys updated on the progress