"Smoking reveals your TRUE self..." ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by shadyonedeath, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i feel that when it comes down to it smoking reveals your true self its when your explore are vast mind and over think stuff and have a whole new prospective on life that you couldn't accomplish without mj

2. i think he is on about how to other people in society you present a version of yourself thats not you but after smoking pot you realise that youre a bit superficial you then start to lose or change your ego and generally become a much nicer person

3. #43 TwztedElegance, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    Gonna give this a shot now since I'm done work and blazed as fuck

The goal is not to truly set your mindset completely apart from your ego, it is just to operate in ways not limited to just your ego. True "ego death" is an extremely intense experience, not one you can sustain or live in.

The way I would describe it is that instead of your mind just operating out of your ego, it should merge with the other areas of your mind depending on the situation and context, so that you get a wide variety of ways to perceive the information you are receiving (through your ego, through other thought processes etc). Most people are unable/unwilling to do this and so operate only out of their ego, whereas it is much more beneficial to be operating out of a sort of larger "subset" of your mind. The better you know your mind, the better you will be able to clearly separate your thought processes and know what is what.

All desire stems from the ego. Obviously these desires are fun to entertain and enjoy, but again, this can just be answered with my original point. When you reach a state where your ego is putting thoughts in your head that are frustrating you, you have to have enough understanding (through experience and only experience, accelerated by psychedelics if you please) to divert yourself away from those thoughts into another state of mind.

"The ego wants to possess all things and countless desires spring into life. And when a desire is blocked, anger comes. And if the desire is fulfilled more desires come, and greed follows because desires are insatiable and cannot be appeased. Out of possession comes clinging, attachment, infatuation, obsession, fear, greed, hatred, anger, jealousy, and delusion.

You realize that true happiness does not come from materialistic things. If you have achieved inner peace and are truly happy, money will make you happier, or at least make life more comfortable, so to speak. But without that inner peace and understanding, money will just make you miserable and lead you to try and give in to more and more desires through your ego, but the end result will just be frustration (at the cost of huge amounts of money, nonetheless)

Check this out, just found this: http://kristopher-raphael.com/all-about-ego

4. Totally understood. I've reached "materialism" enlightenment long ago and it's been great. Don't even own a cell-phone due to its "dependency", but that's as long ago before learning all these things you've shared. So maybe it's time to embrace technology and control the negative urges that many people face today. (i.e. pulling cell phones out to "appear" busy or "wanted" in public settings, which roots down to what OTHERS think of you)

What I meant about stealing was necessities, such as food. I was trying to differentiate between morality and instincts, such as how the mind works for people who DO steal to survive, versus people who are functional members of society and earn their living, in respect to their morals. So my question at the time should have been "When you are starving and want/need something you can't afford, who do you listen to?" Your instincts, ego, or your morals.

But it seems you answered that question by not trying to choose one mindset over the other. Since we have the capability to THINK consciously, we have the knowledge to know the repercussions and outweigh the costs/benefits of stealing versus living functionally and making a living earning money FOR your necessities.

Thanks TwztedElegance. Words cannot explain how much I owe the rest of my life to your knowledge and generosity. Thank you. :) :smoke:

I have been experiencing that more and more when I smoke with friends. I will begin to question what they are thinking about me, and then my heart drops into a panic as I start to worry about who they really are, if  they are fake, and they are holding a facade for some reason, etc. And then to make it worse, I don't want to talk about how I'm having a panic attack and not enjoying my high out of fear that I will ruin their high. So it just snowballs as I start to fake that I'm having a good time for their sake because I don't want to remove the shits and giggles that being high brings to them. Essentially, I have been growing more and more troubled when having to deal with social interactions while high. I am not sure what this means for me regarding my true inner self.

6. [​IMG]

7. you misunderstood the quote

Weed opens your mind to things you were blind to before.

A lot of people feel a sense of worthlessness or guilt after smoking as they see the dirty parts of their life they never wanted to think about

Weed is like truth serum for yourself

-yuri

8. #48 svedka, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
    Agree it is like a truth serum which was said of alcohol decades ago as well but... it is not the Absolute Truth due to being limited to the identification with body/mind/ego. on that basis weed, booze, ****, no drug, no meditation or yogic technique, no born again experience can reveal the True Self.

Sure you can get a glimpse here and there as a fleeting experience, often chased in hope of repeating the performance.

The True Self is simply Awareness or Consciousness but... that is too boring for the body/mind/ego that clings to the idea of specialness and gets it's kicks from the senses or sense of being this or that.. even though the this or that is in constant flux the unrealized ignorant (all of us) keep chasing after the objects that make it seem to have meaning on this mud ball spinning through space...

Peace

9. I LOL'D HARD. I didn't even realize the thread was dead! Haha. Well I am not a frequent forums poster, just a lurker. This ordeal of partaking in them is new to me, as shown by my "Newbie" status...

10. Only 4 years old ;-) its barely a toddler.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8

Maybe this video will inspire you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.