"Smoking reveals your TRUE self..." ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by shadyonedeath, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 shadyonedeath, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
    whats this supposed to mean, that people have a pre-determined/conditioned "true" self?

I refuse to believe that shit, I think MJ has a detrimental effect on the mind while under the influence that sometimes leaves plenty of room for uncertainty, especially in social interactions.

I can only speak for myself though. When I smoke with friends, I tend to be very critical of my actions/words and take a passive/neutral approach to everything. (I'll be critical right now, I feel like i'm being a push-over pussy). I'm trying to change that because sometimes I think people take advantage of that side of me, which is non-confrontational, which is opposite of what i'm like sober.

When i'm sober, I call people out on their bullshit, I'm confrontational (people talking in movies/acting a fool in public/etc... i'm not afraid to start shit to shut them up), and have a really strong back bone when it comes to disrespect or unjustified judgment.

Anyone else like this?

Edit: With the help of members here, i have come to the realization that this^^ form of thinking is flawed and self destructive. Please read the whole thread before soaking in my point of view from the negative ego-controlled mentality I was in while writing this first post.

2. i think youre reading too much in to a song lyric. but in all seriousness, marijuana can make you highly introspective. (which is how i would interpret the lyric)

3. You seem to have your impression of your true self it seems when you say:

"I'll be critical right now, I feel like I’m being a push-over pussy"
    Is your true self a pussy or not? Or perhaps all these thoughts are not you, and then what is observing that u are that? And that which observers the observer?

For me MJ , dilutes the Ego (my idea of self) and I actually become the opposite that which you describe, i accept everything around me as one and I no longer am some unique identity I become the self without the “I”.

4. your all over the place man

5. I agree it most defintely makes you passive, less confrontational. I like to say "marijuana seconds the motion no matter what the motion is." I have noticed though when I'm high and I get emotional over something, it seems to take longer to get over it. Even after the issue or conflict is over and done I seem to carry it around with for a couple weeks. The human mind is so powerful.

6. I noticed MJ dilutes my ego too, but when I first started smoking and when doing it alone. I can reflect on life clearly. But when with friends, I tend to analyze things in a uncertain way.

For example, last night my new buddy from my new job invited me to his studio to chill and smoke and we had a great time until he started giving me indirect advice about certain things I do. I felt like he was trying to look out for me but at the same time, because I was high, I felt like he was judging me.

This isn't the most meaningful example of the night but its short compared to the more serious "advice" he gave me: He introduced me to Marvel vs Capcom 3 and we were having a good time. I'm a old school Street Fighter (Nintendo) guy and I didn't know shit about combo's, I just spam abilities and shit. So after a couple rounds he tried teaching me combo's tactics and how to play the game like a coordinated non-button smashing pro, and I'm not sure whether he was annoyed by my style of playing or just really wanted me to get better but when THIS^^ moment of thought happens, it just ruins my night into a snowball effect of uncertainty.

Its like I can't seem to figure out the underlining meaning people are trying to communicate.

/sorry for rant, but I'm determined to figure this out and get rid of it to enjoy people and MJ more.

7. It's very simple, you're making it too dificult.

Smoking the herb will reveal you too yourself. You're true self will be exposed in ways that it never could have before.

When you're sober, from what I've read of your post, you seem to be more of ass to people. Which is not who you really are. When your high you're more carefree and passive, and that's your true self.

It's in everybody. We just have to find it. I believe thats why most long time potheads/hippies are so care free and have found the beauty in life.

:hello:

8. i think mj does make you your true self cos when im high i find it very hard to lie to myself or be someone im not ...it makes you more in touch with body and mind :)

9. Believe me, I am far from an ass to people. Ask any of my co-workers/friends and I'm the nicest guy, always willing to go the extra length to help people and do favors. BUT, I also have boundaries, and when crossed, I make sure it is known. I'm all about respect, you reap what you sow.

I've never been in a fight or hit anyone, but I can intimidate people from acting out of line. And I wasn't always like this. These "traits" are one's i've taught myself.

So is this to say my sober-self is just my ego i've built to protect myself? Is that wrong though? Is it wrong to not tolerate injustices to myself or other people?

I appreciate all the genuine input, thank you all.

10. I think that it defienitly is your self made ego to protect yourself, with that being said, thats not a bad thing. Normal, really.

But, it just goes to show that the small ego you have sober, isn't really you.

It's really hard to put into words, like how sometimes people will say they are feeling really guilty after there first time smoking for everything they have done bad in there life, and are really reflecting on it.

I think thats mainly becuase the sober ego they have built up, that everybody has. Really won't let them feel the remorse, guilt, happiness, or any other emotion. That they should be showing, So when your high, it knocks down that barrier and lets you feel these emotions.

Hence revelaing you, to yourself.

11. This is good, I feel we're making progress here. :cool:

Gonna need to bring this up to the homies because only they can describe what i'm like sober/high

12. I enjoyed reading this thread:smoke:

13. #13 TwztedElegance, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    If used spiritually and not in the usual recreational way, smoking weed and psychedelics like mushrooms will lead to suppression of your ego, the "clearing" society has created in your mind through years of social conditioning and trapped you in, resulting in your exploring your true mind to find your true self, your soul or your energy, call it whatever you may; something which has always existed inside of you, and when your body dies, this energy or "true you" will move on to the afterlife. it can never be destroyed. so in the end we are all the same, just different forms of the same energy of the universe.

The thing about the ego is, it is essential to living a functional life in society, but I think the key is to know and understand that it's an illusion put up in your mind, a part of your mind that is COMPLETELY devoid of the true you, since by definition it has been given and groomed by society. It's important to strike a balance between living unchecked through your ego and completely trying to shatter it

This is a good article about how your ego is your "false self" given to you by society, and how most people learn to believe this is who they really are and don't stray out and explore the boundaries of their mind.

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm

If you are interested, this is another good article about how weed can put you in touch with your inner self. Listen to Terence Mckenna as well :smoke:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_spirit6.shtml

In the end, getting high IS what it says it is. it puts you in touch with a higher state of mind, and you can carry these understandings or whatever into your sober life as well :smoke: it's crazy how much more i've become aware of in just the last 2 months, and we all know we have a longgg way to go to reach enlightenment, which I believe is when you transcend to the highest dimension possible.

14. I feel you on this. I feel like because of my past, I am who I am now, a better respectable person.

15. Very well put.

16. Weed reveals you to your self not in the first time you do it, nor on the second time. If you smoke weed throughout your life you'll become different, you understant what the meaning of love/friendship/sexuality is. At least I became different, not careing about stupid stuff like having a big car, a big screen TV, expensive clothes, etc.

I think weed makes you feel more humane, more connected with the nature and the planet. Thinking that capitalism is an illusion and most people are liars.

That's my opinion :D

17. #18 gloppypop, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah. I deleted it because I thought there was a discrepancy between a complete loss or change in ego or personality, as I was describing, and living with a 'checked' ego as TwiztedElegance mentioned. You can keep up my quote, though.

And while I may not agree with some of his points on the spiritual side of things, I can agree that weed can lead to greater understanding in general.

Whatever that means! :p

18. That first link really hits the spot...

"But this center is a reflected center. It is not his real being. He does not know who he is; he simply knows what others think about him. And this is the ego: the reflection, what others think. If nobody thinks that he is of any use, nobody appreciates him, nobody smiles, then too an ego is born: an ill ego; sad, rejected, like a wound; feeling inferior, worthless. This too is the ego. This too is a reflection."

Damn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.