Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Most reliable ph meter?Need a new meter but which one?

• Please log in to reply

med6006

med6006

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have purchased a couple ph meters and both have been junk: (Digital pH Meter Tester Hydroponic Aquarium w/ 2 Buffer - eBay (item 180641596997 end time Mar-20-11 09:22:18 PDT)

and OAKTON DIGITAL PH TESTER METER ECOTESTER PH-1 control - eBay (item 170606228340 end time Mar-22-11 11:25:31 PDT)

I didnt purchase them from ebay,just used that for reference.I payed top dollar at my local hydro store!The Oakton worked good for about a month then wouldnt calibrate correctly.The cheaper yellow meter worked better but isnt made to last very long.(poor quality)I keep them clean and stored in the recommended solution but still havent had any luck on a lasting meter.

Just looking for suggestions on a good ph meter to buy.Which one do you use?How much did you pay?How long have you had it?

R3BEL

R3BEL

"Bigguns McCoy"

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,147 posts
This is what I just got : HM Waterproof Meter

I went from some horrible non-waterproof one. The HM has a auto calibrate feature and is good up to .01 pH....

I don't know if the HM TDS or HM pH meter has the auto calibrate actually, but they are both easy and seem the best made.

Make sure you get pH / ORP electrode solution and a Calibration liquid!

PG10

PG10

• Registered Upgraded
  • 154 posts
Hi 98129

gr8gr33nz

gr8gr33nz

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I personally like the bluelab i use the combo meter and the guardian.. but they got ones that do just ph and ppm in wand stick that are real nice.

they have been very accurate taking readings from my experience

NJsteez

NJsteez

RegisteredLegalCultivator

• Registered Upgraded
  • 811 posts
Hanna is the way to go, hands down most reliable in my opinion.

cretins

cretins

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Had the same problem with my Oakton. Turned out that it was the batteries that were bad, replaced them and everything went back to normal and has been for more than a year now.

Revjim

Revjim

• Registered Upgraded
  • 124 posts

Hanna is the way to go, hands down most reliable in my opinion.

I have a Hanna "Checker" and it was good for awhile but the thing has some wild swings. I bought a Milwaukee off of Amazon for about 20$ and has been holding a solid 7 in the cali. solution everytime. My Hanna I would have to calibrate it twice a day.
From what I have read, there really isnt a rock solid, reliable ph meter. You have to care for them like an infant and there just as sensitive lol.:smoke:

chicoguy

chicoguy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 254 posts
I have a nice ph pen and the bluelabs combo Meter. The bluelab is so reliable I'll never look back. And great customer service too, the model I bought off amazon had a defective ph pen so bluelab sent a whole new replacement pretty fast.

thesage3

thesage3

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,199 posts
Milwaukee m802 combo meter very reliable and the customer service can't be beat I dropped mine in the drink (didn't tell'em) but first they sent a new probe which fixed the prob until I left it in my rooms at 70% humidity then the cap fell off and it dried and went haywire real waywire. milwaukee's cust serv which is a lab tech not a secretary he took the time to go thru some tests over the phone before having me send the unit in. the thing was back in 3 days. brand new unit no ?s asked at all. except what I was using it for nutrient or pool type application .
the thing is my baby now I tuck it in to bed after ever use. oh and I started with that oakton pos . lasted 9 months if that.

deman81k

deman81k

• Registered Upgraded
  • 578 posts
http://www.progressi...php?prod=oakton
I use their PPM and PH testers and they are great

CO Jones

CO Jones

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,235 posts
Milwaukee MW 802... It is fucking awesome...

Tihspeed

Tihspeed

master bator

• Gold Member
  • 9,242 posts

Presure2

Presure2

Organic Goodness

• Registered Upgraded
  • 487 posts

Hanna Combo Waterproof pH/EC/TDS/Temp HI-98129 Hanna Combo Waterproof pH/EC/TDS/Temp HI-98129

I have the same one, works perfectly for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users