Nature of Consciousness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 1Trismegistus1, Mar 20, 2011.

1. This close-mindedness is ironic....!

Considering Science only believers do not consider anything that doesnt fit the world view they have fit into their neatly labled little boxes...just as bad as the Christians they like to ridicule for having their beliefs!

If youre going to shut something down based on what you currently think, how can you truly consider that idea....? Easier said than done, but if you want to hear other viewpoints, you have to be open enough to put current views aside for a moment...they'll be there when you get back.... ;) ...and they might just be improved for your effort.

2. This is the perfect description of most atheists (for that matter most people period)

3. Ya, that was a great explanation of his journey through all his OWN skepticim, by the way....He believed in pure science for the longest time, obviously, until he had to admit to himself that it just couldnt account for all that life is...good for him.

I recognized his voice immediately though from a song...I will see if I can find it.

4. Haha.....exactly..Im not saying its an easy thing to do, but it would have to be done to truly consider another perspective. I have done this, honestly, with Christianity and Science viewpoints. As for other religions, I'd say that Christianity was enough to fit the bill for that type of logic.

5. Jesus, you dudes just don't get it. I HAVE considered the other positions and viewpoints that you've shown me. You're mad because I haven't ACCEPTED it, and the reason I haven't ACCEPTED it is because there's no valid EVIDENCE for it.

I'll accept it, when there is valid evidence for it. As of now, there is none, so I will not.

You're likening people like me to Christians, but I'm not the one accepting things with zero valid evidence, and even further, I'm not the one getting mad when people don't accept my viewpoint based on said lack of evidence.

6. Ize not mad brahhhhhhhhh.....Im just saying your kind of evidence cannot measure 'God" and since this is the only type of evidence you will consider it leaves you closed up, imo.

I keep picturing a red dot with an arrow pointing to it that says "God is here", but its like the laser dot my cat chases after...heh..go figure.

7. I just watched the movie, and I really liked it.

He basically took everything I believe and explained it from his point of view as a quantam physicist, a point of view I've never really looked at it from.

8. Yeah that is exactly how I felt. Amit Goswami is a beautiful man :smoke:

9. #49 Kardredor, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    You gotta accept that your "viewpoint" is faulty as well. Science explains the functions of matter through made up particles called atoms so they can "kinda" understand how things work.

Christians say "some supreme deity" made everything and people are to be completely submissive to this deity, and use their aspects of consciousness (I'm mostly getting at morals here) to justify Him.

So, all we know for a fact are our aspects of consciousness. What says that what we already have can't explain the universe? Isn't this like the same fuel behind the motivation of science?

Emptiness is form, because emptiness is potential, so emptiness leads to form.

I think you'd like this http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

Scroll down to "What Is Emptiness." If you read the top part of the page you're probably just going to instantly dismiss the whole page.

10. think about this atoms are 99% nothing? space? they don't know 99% of atoms is area where there seems to be nothing. Now everything is made up of atoms right? so everything is 99% nothing?
    That just proves to me that there is something else that we can't detect with microscopes and shit and that its not just atoms in this universe, its energy or how some quantum pysicists call it information....