Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

When to plant outdoors in ohio?

• Please log in to reply

wowgabewow

wowgabewow

It's 420 somewhere...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 581 posts
I'm currently germinating a bunch of middies to get ready for outdoor growing in Ohio. I've never grown outdoors though. Temps are hovering from about 45 at night on some days to 70 during the day on some days. Does anyone know when is the best time to plant in Ohio?

ReMpTiOn

ReMpTiOn

• Registered Upgraded
  • 867 posts

I'm currently germinating a bunch of middies to get ready for outdoor growing in Ohio. I've never grown outdoors though. Temps are hovering from about 45 at night on some days to 70 during the day on some days. Does anyone know when is the best time to plant in Ohio?

im in jersey and planted a few germed seeds and they dyed from the cold.still a lil to early wait till about 1-2 weeks into april.last year i started in early march but it aint going down like that this year :(

ThirstOwnz

ThirstOwnz

• Registered Upgraded
  • 382 posts
im also in the capital of Ohio, Columbus! Im also debating to plant sum seedlings now or wait another week or 2

wowgabewow

wowgabewow

It's 420 somewhere...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 581 posts
Thanks I think I'm gonna plant around the 1st or second week of April

Agribusiness

Agribusiness

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
If you plant that early, your plant will almost certainly be killed by frost. Frost date in central ohio according to charts I just googled say that the last frost date is mid to late may. I think you would be safe planting a little earlier in may if you cover the plants on cold mornings. If not, wait until atleast the 15th of may.

ReMpTiOn

ReMpTiOn

• Registered Upgraded
  • 867 posts

If you plant that early, your plant will almost certainly be killed by frost. Frost date in central ohio according to charts I just googled say that the last frost date is mid to late may. I think you would be safe planting a little earlier in may if you cover the plants on cold mornings. If not, wait until atleast the 15th of may.

i call bullshit on the may part even early may.it dosnt even realy frost in april let alone may.i live practicly right next to ohio and we have the same sun hours.

wowgabewow

wowgabewow

It's 420 somewhere...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 581 posts
Yeah true. It gets to about 75 or more every day in April. There isn't frost typically at night

Agribusiness

Agribusiness

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
People have been grow plants for years in ohio. At this point, it is well established when the last average frost date is for central ohio. You asked for help so you can disregard the the adive if you want, but having grown outdoors, I know what I'm talking about from experience. If you plant in early april in ohio, the plant will be killed by frost.

wowgabewow

wowgabewow

It's 420 somewhere...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 581 posts

People have been grow plants for years in ohio. At this point, it is well established when the last average frost date is for central ohio. You asked for help so you can disregard the the adive if you want, but having grown outdoors, I know what I'm talking about from experience. If you plant in early april in ohio, the plant will be killed by frost.

Aight dude I'll take your word for it, I'm not in a hurry to grow outdoors anyway. I'll just grow this set indoors then start outdoors in may

dayp

dayp

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

75 degrees is too cold for my plants to be outside...

I want that 80+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users