thermal imaging helicopters?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by christoferobbin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. You'll be aight man. Like I mentioned last week in the other chopper thread, I live where thousands of plants are uprooted every year in my county alone. The Feds, State, or local sherriff's dept will not set up surveillance on a single plant or a few plants anywhere that I know of. If they didn't literally fly up while you are tending them, they have no case. Even if something crazy happened like you were aprehended with the plants while leaving the site, they have to prove in court that you grew them. Otherwise, you can say you found them and took them, and all you can get is posession. With no video or photos clearly showing you watering, spraying, etc. that's all they can do.

They aren't stupid either. They know the difference between a plant & ditch and a well tended crop. It's different from place to place, but here anything under 100 plants they won't even bother with a camera setup. They just chop and go. Last week about 25 miles from my house they got a 292 plant patch, and they didn't set anything up. It was just part of a 2 day end of season grid fly. People on the forums will try to blow smoke and say this doesn't happen, but it does depending on where you live. You probably won't see too much grid flying in Detroit, but in any area with a perfect climate and huge tracts of wilderness it happens.

2. Well I didn't see or hear anything too out of the ordinary today. So I'm just gonna chalk it up to military training since I'm seeing a lot of fighter jets flying back and forth and the only choppers I've seen today are careflight. All I need is another month.

3. Roughly speaking, what region/ area do you live in? I see a lot of posts on these threads from people who live where there is virtually no outdoor cannabis industry. I would chalk it up to being just as you said DVR. Question? Is the annual plant seizures in your county measured by the hundreds, or 10s' of thousands? If it's the former, it would be highly unlikely that any random or grid flying takes place in your area.

You can tell a big difference between training and searching. When you hear thump thump thump, and a chopper is skimming the tree tops blowing the leaves all around that's a search. And crazy as it is, they can sneak right up on you when you are at a plot. By the time it's in ear shot, you can see it only seconds later.

4. I live somewhere between the Rio Grande and Red River. Whenever I hear about pot busts in my area it's usually indoor or it's large fields with usually less than 1,000 plants. Hell a couple years ago the DEA found a large crop literally in their own back yard. I've not once heard of single plant busts in the news other than ones where neighbors are involved, and the only neighbors that MIGHT see my plants are friends and have made no mention of it.

5. #45 5150, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    From what I read they can spot one pot plant from it's heat signature alone. MJ and other plants have a certain heat signature. They set the FLIR to the plants certain signature. Fly a grid pattern looking for the bright white plant on the black screen. Day or night it does not matter. If they were looking for Corn they would set the FLIR to the corns heat signature.

This is why Mexican Grows do not even try to hide plants anymore. They plant in wide-open areas and play the numbers game.

This is how I understand it. I could be right or wrong. Just not sure....

6. I'm not very familiar with the area, but I'm assuming the Feds are too asshole deep involved in trafficking out there to put much effort into aerial plant searches.

7. Well either way theres a lesson to be learned out of this. If youre guerilla growing then plant as secure as possible and watch that fuckin sky man. I dont even like personal pilots seein me out there. Just be careful, listen at every twig fallin or bird callin while your out there. You got to bring your A game every time you go to your grow.

8. Hell to the yes. If you keep your ears peeled you can learn a lot in the woods. Once the tweety birds in an area realize you are cool, they will alert you to danger looming just like they do the deer.

9. Hey guys this is off the subject but my gf is wantin to go visit her fam tomorrow a few states away and ive got a lady near my prop. Not an ideal spot but its a makeshift since my plans got bumfuzzled this year. I would rather bring it inside for the 48 hours for safety. Shes about 6 weeks in. Think she will b alright or is that a bad idea?

10. haha ppl are so funny.. thermal imaging is NOT for looking for plants in the outdoors ..plants do not put off heat u could have 1000000 plants theyll be the same temp as every other fucking thing out there...thermal is for looking at ppls houses or sheds cause there grow room will be hotter then the rest of the house and stick out like a sore thumb..and most ppl will have heat escaping from vents and cracks and shit..i love when somebody is like yea marijuana plants give off heat and glow when looked at with FLIR... cmon people

11. #51 trichome fiend, Sep 19, 2012
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJHDLNCRzc&feature=related[/ame]

...every outdoor grower should watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_N4nhYDmj0&playnext=1&list=PLF9D241CA0E177F96&feature=results_main]Prohibition Episode1 - YouTube[/ame]

12. #52 5150, Sep 19, 2012

I am betting you are wrong. I am no expert but I am pretty sure it's clear that plants put off a heat signature a FLIR can read pretty easy. I read enough info to think so.

13. why not call the guys who invented FLIR to confirm?

14. hahah ur no expert NO SHIT...i promise u weed plaants have no more heat coming off them then say a tomato plant ..and then only heat they put off is radiant heat that comes from the sun warming them up ..look at weed plant and then any other plant u want right next to it and they will be the same ..if they had sum internal heat engine we wouldnt have to worry bout are plants frezzing every winter now would we..

15. #55 poppybgood, Sep 19, 2012
    I have watched actual video on VCR taken over 20 years ago where Infrared was used to locate outdoor crops at night by showing the sharp contrast in tempurature between cooler, irrigated soil surface temps and warmer surrounding dry land that was still hot from the day. The irrigation lines only 1/2 inch in diameter stuck out like a sore thumb in the middle of the woods.
    This was an istructional video for LEO, and may possibly be on the web, IDK. So if you are wondering if IR can detect a well watered patch at night in July, yes they can.

As for FLIR, there was no mention of it then, but it was an old video. However, there was footage taken in a California state forest where the spotters located thousands of plants scattered across a slope that were only a foot tall. Had the instructor not pinpointed them, I personally don't think most people would have ever been able to spot them.

16. #56 5150, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012

I can post 20 links that say you are wrong. Here is just one? Also can I ask what makes you ther expert? Like I said I am no expert but am wiling to argue the point with the info I have? Can you post your source? Or do you just know? I take it from your reply you are the expert or have first hand info?

Who said anything about frezzing winter plants and plants having heaters? we are talking heat signatures not internal heaters. I am sure if no plants have heat signature there would be plenty of info on that right? Why is it that hundreds of sites talk about heat signature of MJ plants and most other plants? Also there is more to it than just heat signatures. Other tools are being used most don't mention in these threads. Below reads "they use infrared cameras and other equipment".

Cannabis cultivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Law enforcement agencies often monitor certain wider areas, particularly areas of countryside with a significant history of outdoor cannabis cultivation. In helicopters, they use infrared cameras and other equipment that can detect cannabis by measuring the heat and reflective signature of the vegetation below. Cannabis has higher reflectivity at certain wavelengths than other rural crops, such as corn. Law enforcement agencies have found that the use of this technology has become necessary in their detection efforts because many growers hide cannabis among other plants, making detection with the naked eye difficult even from the air. These techniques are effective and difficult to defeat because a plant's reflective signature is difficult to change or mask. It has been said[who?] that if the cannabis plant is planted by a pine or cedar tree, the heat from the tree overlaps the cannabis plant heat, making it harder to detect from helicopters, although cedar trees turn the soil acidic due to the low pH of pine needles

17. #57 5150, Sep 20, 2012
    Yah I am no expert. But when I read government pages going over the process I tend to consider it may or COULD be true.Wrong or right it pretty clear plants have heat signatures or heat something.

ARS | Publication request: WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE SPECTRAL SIGNATURES OF ILLEGAL CANNABIS CULTIVATION?

Interpretive Summary: Successful detection of outdoor illegal Cannabis cultivation with remote sensing would be of considerable help to law enforcement agencies. It is assumed that remote sensing will rely on the spectral signatures of Cannabis plant canopies as the primary indicator. The spectral reflectance of Cannabis was examined using laboratory, field and airborne measurements. Results thus far include: 1) leaf and canopy spectral reflectance of Cannabis exhibit characteristics of other green plants, 2) nadir spectral signatures do not have stable, unique absorption features suitable for a reference signature, 3) the "emerald green" (blue-green) color of Cannabis results from specular reflectance of blue sky light and small particle scattering from microscopic structures on the surface of Cannabis leaves, 4) spectral contrast between Cannabis and other plant canopies appears most significant for green, red edge and short wave infrared wavelengths, 5) spectral contrasts between Cannabis and tree species appear greater than spectral differences with other herbaceous species, 6) isolation of Cannabis canopy spectral signatures during land cover classification may be difficult using visible-near infrared systems, and 7) researchers investigating detection technologies must be kept aware of the trends of growers to conceal sites. Analysis of the essential elements of information associated with illegal Cannabis cultivation offers other possibilities for detection with remote sensing. Ultimately, remote sensing will be most effective when used with a probability-of-occurrence/Cannabis cultivation site prediction model from the Counter Drug ¿ Geographical Regional Assessment Sensor System (CD-GRASS).

To bad a tomato plant is not on this chart. Did you say you promised? Although the chart compares to trees and not smaller plants. IDK. I guess it's time to prove me wrong with a little more than just talk friend. After all we are talking people's freedom right? If I am right or wrong I do not care. I just want the correct info. Not opinions

Attached Files:

18. #59 poppybgood, Sep 20, 2012
    I'm glad someone else on this thread is aware of the tricks they use. And yes, it's long been common knowledge, probably becuase of the good ole boys who were my mentors, that cannabis is virtually undetectable by IR under the canopy of young pines.

If anyone reads my post above and doesn't believe they can key in on watered planting sites at night, just look into that as well. I'm sure if a person can surf the web, they can also use google.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1987-06-11/news/mn-6520_1_infrared-device/2

19. Is it in a bucket? LOL!! Just put it in front of a south facing window and make sure the lights are off in the room. That way it will keep her photoperiod right. A fan wouldn't hurt either.