How To: Make your own homemade glass bong!

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by CrassGrass, Mar 15, 2011.

1. #1 CrassGrass, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
    [homemade glass]

Over the years, I have seen, used and made several homemade pieces. Almost all of these homemade pieces were plastic however, which is terribly unhealthy, and can be pressing on the mind of a concerned toker. There are two solutions to this:
    1. Buy your own glass bong
    2. Make your own glass bong
    If you choose option #1, then please don't flame this thread with posts about just buying your own glass piece. If you choose option #2, then continue reading this article; hopefully it will aid you in the creation if your first homemade glass bong.

Step 1: Gathering Your Materials
    • A glass bottle: you can use pretty much anything here, but some very decent options include Grand Marnier bottles and the Bong Spirit Vodka bottles, which you can buy at this link: Bong Vodka
      [​IMG]
    • 9mm Downstem/Grommet: You can purchase both of these from your local headshop. Depending o the size of your downstem and whether it is diffused or not, prices may vary anywhere from 10 to 20+ dollars. A grommet is usually less than a dollar. Be sure not to get a downstem that is too long or one that is bigger than the hole you are going to drill.
    http://grasscity.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/302x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/A/L/ALT-2010-07-09-21_3.jpg

[​IMG]

• Drill/Drill Bit(s): Here is the expensive/tricky part. If you are lucky enough to have a friend or relative who will lend you their drill then you're in luck. If not, then unless you want to dish out 200+ dollars for a cordless drill then you're out of luck. For drill bits, I use a Bosch brand Glass & Tile bit which cost me about fifteen dollars. You can get a set of four for approximately thirty dollars. You can buy the drill/bits at Home Depot, Lowes, etc, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: Drilling the Hole
    • Firstly, empty your bottle of all contents, and clean it (especially if there is alcohol inside of it). I find using soap and water works just fine.
    • Insert your drill bit into your drill. I find that Bosch's 1/2 inch Glass & Tile bit works perfectly for 9mm downstems.
    • Put your drill under running water and on top of a towel. This makes sure that the bit doesn't wear out, and that the glass doesn't get too hot and crack.
    • Start your drill at a low speed, going in perpendicular to the bottle. It helps to have a friend hold the bottle so it doesn't jump around. Starting out your hole may be a bit tough, but once you have a decent start then it's easy from there on out.
    • Apply pressure down on the drill so that it pushes through the glass. Use less pressure as you near the opposite side of the glass to avoid the glass cracking or breaking.
    • When you are done, turn off/unplug your drill and wash off any glass particles from your bottle.

Step 3: Inserting the Downstem

• This is the easiest part of your bong operation. When you are done drilling the hole, take your rubber grommet and put it into the hole. Wet the downstem and push it into the grommet. Now pop a bowl in your downstem and get rippin'! :bongin:

Here is are some examples of what your finished pieces could look like:

2. #2 CrassGrass, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    Latest creation: Crystal Liquor Decanter Bong by CrassGrass
    [​IMG]
    This is my pride and joy. It took a full five minutes to drill through the glass because it was so damn thick, but it was worth it. I fitted it with a 16 mm diffused downstem. The stopper on top is hollow so I plan on turning it into a percolated ashcatcher attachment as soon as I have the time.

3. as far as i know, this is the most organized, and best "How To: Glass Bong". Although most people are aware, as there are threads like this, yours , i think, surpasses all others

4. Thank you :] I'm making another one tomorrow (with a Jones bottle :D) so I will have a video demonstration of the whole process for people who are visual learners - end of the video will be a nice fatty bong rip :):):):):)

5. #5 CrassGrass, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  6. little tip: put your downstems lower, theres no need to have your bong, more than half way full of water, lol. just when your drilling, go at an angle so that everything will fit snug.

7. Yeah that part's a little tricky :s the Smirnoff bottle one is okay, considering it only uses half a botle of water, but the Jones one needs a lot compared to the rest of the space in the bong. The downstem on the Jones bottle was just the perfect size for the drill bit and I had tried on another bottle first but the glass kept cracking when I drilled it in diagonally, which is why it's so high on the bottle. Hits like a champ though, video(s) coming soon.

8. ^^^^^
    REALLY?
    just had to hijack the thread.........

9. Update: Made a bong out of a crystal liquor decanter! The glass was so thick it took around five minutes to drill all the way through it :O

Check the second post in the thread to take a look at it :) it's fitted with a diffused 16 mm downstem!

10. Bump. Sorry if this is against the rules I've read them but can't see if I'm not allowed to do this...

If anybody has any questions just ask on the thread I would be happy to answer them!

11. Hey not meaning to rag or anything. but under step 2 at bullet point 2. it says to "Put your drill under running water and on top of a towel" and i think thats a little dangerous. water and electricity really don't mix well. nor do stupid rednecks that take everything seriously enough to actually try what i just put in quotation marks. but other then that. Excellent How To Guide. thank you

12. This is pretty cool man. How hard is it to drill through glass? Will it crack using a regular drill bit made for wood or something? I can only imagine it shattering either way.

But great guide, it seems like you have this down really well.

13. well if your stupid enough to put your drill under running water...be my guest.
    only idiots would take it as "put the entire drill under water".
    i mean, come on dude..no need to point that out.
    this thread is bad as fuck dude, im probably gonna be making some bongs VERY soon haha, just gotta find a suitable drilll bit for it all.
    thanks for the thread dude!!

14. Haha yeaaa I need to stop writing shit while baked. It should say drill bit not just drill:smoke: I'll change it as soon as possible ahaha!

The hardest part about drilling through glass is stopping your bit from sliding around. If you hold your drill/bottle steady then everything should go smoothly. And yeah you absolutely NEED a glass & tile drill bit (diamond works too though I find the bits wears out too easily) otherwise the glass will shatter. Good luck!

No problem, glad you enjoyed it :) Good luck with the bong making, and just PM me if you need some help/have questions.

15. Does the amount of volts or amps matter, or will any drill do with the proper bit?

16. any drill works man, its not that specific of a job hahaha

17. hey if you think these are cool, check out what i've made! I'm gonna start selling them for fifty a piece i think. hookahs | Facebook
    Just Email me and let me know if you want me to make you one...

18. My greateast creation to date: A homemade glass bong with a diffused downstem, diffused perc and ice chamber. Still haven't decided on a name for this beast yet. Works like fucking magic though. Uses less than half a bottle of water too :)
    [​IMG]
    <3<3<3<3<3

19. You sir, are my new best friend. I love your work :)

20. Haha, thank you veru much :) I decided on a name for the bong in the previous post by the way. We call it two things:
    1. Samwise Ganja (As in Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings)
    2. J.R.R. Tokin'

:smoke: