Built First Rubbermaid Grow Box, Need Fan Help. WAY TOO HOT!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by saltwater, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

So I built my first grow box the other day. Went great except I have created an oven! With a carbon filter the temps are around +90 F.

My box is basically two 25 Gal Rubbermaid storage bins with one upside down on the other. I have two 2" passive intakes with a 45' bend on both.

I have 8 26w CFL's in there and hoping to grow two plants at a time.

For some reason I figured I knew better than everyone who said stay away from computer fans and got this:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWEIFU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001NPEBM4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FXCF2S02N4Y6DDBYQKX"]Amazon.com: SilverStone FM121 Case Fan with Control Speed 9 Bladed Designs, 120X120X25mm (white): Electronics[/ame]

Well as it turns out, everyone else was right! That fan doesn't cut it!

I have tried two different kinds of carbon filters with this fan:

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/569506-diy-carbon-filter-compendium.html

And:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/273604-small-carbon-filter-diy.html

With both of these the fan blows. Literally. It just seems to blow backwards.

So I need help from you guys to find a fan that will cool my box adequately. This box is in my closet so I need it to be QUIET. I sleep about ~15 feet away. Also I need it as cheap as reasonably possible. I don't want to blow $100 on a fan unless I really have to...

Thanks for any help!

2. first try removing your carbon filter. What do your temps go down to then?

I too grow in a rubbermaid container, and I have had great success so far. My setup is a little different than yours. I use a single 18 gallon tote per chamber. One for veg and one for flower. My flower box has around 250 watts and I am currently flowerring 4 plants in there and all is going great. I have a single 120mm comp fan as an exhaust and I have a single passive intake. My box runs very cool 70-75 degrees. And for odor control I have been using dryer sheets. Each one lasts about 4 or 5 days and it covers the smell and that way I don't have to use a filter. I grow in an aprtment and I have had parties and people in the same room and no one ever says anything. Do you have pics of your setup?

3. With no filter I can get the temps down to about 78-80.

The only problem with the dryer sheet is that I don't want my whole Apt smelling like dryer sheets :)

I am struggling to keep my box that cool with less lights...

I will try and take some pics tonight.

4. my flower room sits at 80 and my girls love it!

5. same:rolleyes:

6. mine is 80- and my plants are perfect.

7. I got two 32 gallon rubbermaids setup kinda like yours, I have a 6" inline fan though and bigger intakes, mylar'd up and another fan on the inside, 1 65 watt cfl, 2x 23watt cfls and a 400 watt hid and my temp rides right at 80.