Any vegetarian blades?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Twee, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Versatile indeed. I find those beans to be the best for taste also they have a better amino acid profile compared to other beans.

2. Would love to hear the Irish hobo vegan stew!

3. I was a HUGE carnivore before i became a vegetarian, If you have any questions about foods, or need recipe ideas or anything let me know!

My biggest piece of advice and I may get alot of backlash for this: Go cold turkey. If you start to cut things out here and there you may have a taste preference you just cannot overcome. Go to the store and start with things that are vegetarian anyway, like mac and cheese, spaghetti, etc. Then get one faux meat ingredient per meal, I would suggest the following for a newbie,
    Breakfast: Morning Star Sausage Links
    Lunch: Morning Star Spicy Black Bean Burger
    Dinner: Boca Grillers Vegan Burger

Most morningstar products have really good "taste alike" options however they have GMO's in them, so start there get a taste for vegetarian meats, then progress to the less "meaty" tasting foods. Like hand pressed veggie burgers, tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc.

Good Luck!!!

4. #84 xsofarfromhome, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
    yep, I'm vegan
    one of my favorite meals is Amy's vegan mac & cheese with some May Wah ham and BBQ sauce
    May Wah isn't exactly cheap because unless you live in NY, you have to order online. But it's very yummy. Especially the ham.

5. I live in NY where can I find it???? Sounds really good.

6. I couldn't find tempeh at Whole Foods. How disappointing.

7. I just made a delicious tofu wrap. It had tofu seasoned with garlic powder and cumin (that's all I had available haha), lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber, and mustard. So delicious and it took maybe six minutes to make.

8. An Irish Hobo's vegan stew :D

- A clove of garlic
    - 2 cups of frozen vegetables of your choice OR for that 'Irishness', I suggest 4 medium carrots, 2 parsnips and one turnip, all chopped up
    - A can tinned tomatos
    - Half a can of white beans
    - 1 cup of TVP
    - 1 cup of Veggie Broth/Stock
    - 2 large spuds
    - some sunflower/olive oil for cooking

Peel all your veg, defrost vegetables if using frozen. If you are using fresh vegetables that I suggested in the ingredients, chop them up good, not too small though.. kind of like cubes.
    In a large oiled pot, throw all of your peeled and chopped vegetables in and sauteé them until they're brown-ish. Mix in your tinned tomatos and stir.
    When your mixture is simmering, mix in your white beans and some rosemary to taste.
    Mix in a cup of dry TVP.
    Mix in your cup of veggie broth.
    Stir the stew until TVP is soft.
    Enjoy!!

Variations:
    - Sometimes, I will cook some veggie sausages on the grill and put them in the stew at the end. It makes it very filling though but it's lovely and nourishing on a cold winter day.
    - For even more 'Irishness', you can sub the tinned tomatos for Irish Ale. If you plan on doing this, I suggest you mix in a spoonful of tomato pureé.

9. B b bump The thread in FH&N made me think of this thread. Any new vegetarian's on the site. I switched 9.5 months ago, and haven't looked back since. I have eaten meat twice since then. The first time the 7-11 dude caught me off guard and up sold me a couple taquitos. I realized what I was eating half way through lol. The second time I was drunk at a wedding and wanted to try the beans( I assume they were pork n beans) I am going on vacation next month and might take a break, but I have very little meat cravings, and don't really want to cheat. I made some almond milk for the first time last night. It turned out great. I am going to use the pulp for something tonight. Any ideas?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I'm not new, but I recently hit the 10 year mark a few months back which made me feel pretty great.

11. was onefor 22 months. no longer though. we are out here. my gf was one for 22 years