Powdery mildew (PM) resistant strains...

• by Spaceinvaderx
  • Mar 06 2011 09:50 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • Please log in to reply
  • CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

I just wanted to know what the "City" has to say on this matter. From my limited experience I have noticed that the most resistant strain I have is super lemon haze. Unfortunately, my white russian is like a magnet for PM, it sucks too because it yields a good amount, but I am getting rid of it because I don't want to have a PM problem.

Anyway, I have read on other forums that blue dream, LA confidential, and super silver haze are also resistant and/or immune to PM.

I hope a few of you can chime in and give some personal insight on this. :wave:
Replies (17)

• Eddyshore
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Check out Green House Seeds "The Church" claims to be mildew resistant.... Search Youtube for GHS The Church grow video. They are feminized too.

Good Luck Bro

E

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

Thanks Eddyshore, I will definitely take a look and do some research.

Anyone else know of any other strong disease/pest resistant strains?

• MINGLED
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

powdery mildew is not something you can just breed out of a strain. i have the blue dream and it is not 100% resistant. i sell blue dream clones all the time. although they are pest and disease free, i run a sulfur burner once a week so none of my customers ever have to worry about it. i don't ever spray a thing on my plants. ever. but if you're in cali, make sure you start out with a great quality clone. but to answer your question, i don't think you can find strains that are resistant totally. if you need good healthy clones i have some....if you're in so cal....
Posted Image

Edited by MINGLED, 07 March 2011 - 06:44 AM.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info MINGLED. Could you recommend a decent, but budget friendly sulfur burner?

Yeah, I pretty much knew that there is no such thing as a 100% PM immune plant out there, but you would not believe the way that this white russian attracted the stuff. I had to get rid of it, so the executive desicion has been made, WR is out.

I have a reserva privada headband plant that is looking pretty nice, so I will be taking clones off of that and keeping my fingers crossed.

I wouldn't mind checking out that blue dream though, got any pics or a link (is that them in your sig)?

Edited by Spaceinvaderx, 07 March 2011 - 08:40 AM.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

Those are some lovely looking girls.

I have been looking around for a sulfur burner, but I like your idea of splitting the cost and sharing one with a friend. Whereabouts in SoCal do you deliver? You can just PM me info if you want (private message, not powdery mildew, LOL).

I have been using this stuff called "Exel LG", which is a systemic fungicide, and it has been working great so far. I soil drench about once a month and spray almost every week (or as the situation dictates) and my girls look nice and green.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

Great talking to you today MINGLED; glad to know you are nearby. I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression about quitting on my white russian, this was just not a particularly strong, or disease / pest resistant batch. I do have plans to stick with certain strains for the long run; I still have the white widow from my first grow. I also have no plans to get rid of my SLH, but I am also looking for a variety of about 3 or maybe 4 strains tops. I hope my new headband will be a "keeper".

Edited by Spaceinvaderx, 08 March 2011 - 06:30 AM.

• It's better in the Dirt

• PipPipPip
  • old hippie
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Spaceinvaderx[/LEFT];9792048]I just wanted to know what the "City" has to say on this matter. From my limited experience I have noticed that the most resistant strain I have is super lemon haze. Unfortunately, my white

russian

is like a magnet for PM, it sucks too because it yields a good amount, but I am getting rid of it because I don't want to have a PM problem.

Anyway, I have read on other forums that blue dream, LA confidential, and super silver haze are also resistant and/or immune to PM.

I hope a few of you can chime in and give some personal insight on this. :wave:

PM will always be a problem if you don't know how to control it. I have helped several people with this problem as I have to deal with it especially in late summer and early fall. There are several ways to deal with this problem, send me a pm and I will share my techniques.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thanks old hippie, just sent you a PM. :wave:

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

I am extremely grateful for all of the advice so far, I will definitely be adding a sulfur burner to my arsenal (along with other things) to fight PM. Thanks for the great info MINGLED and old hippie.

However, I don't want to turn this into a "how do you fight PM?" thread because I am sure there are already enough out there. The main thing I am after is finding a solid strain that is resistant to diseases (mainly PM) and other pests.

I guess a better question to ask is: Are there any strains that are native or that have adapted well to California's varied climate, pests, and other conditions?

I would like to try to grow something that grows well here in Cali, not in another part of the world. I figure that if it grows well outdoors with good resistance to these things it should also flourish indoors where I can minimize the effects of these pests. Does that make sense?

Does anybody have any experience growing Northern Lights #5 crossed with Haze? I just germinated/planted one (keeping my fingers crossed).

Edited by Spaceinvaderx, 09 March 2011 - 08:03 PM.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Well, it has been a little over a month so I figured I should update this thread. Anyway, I am happy to report that after 2 short sulfur burns, there is virtually no sign of PM in my rooms! I built myself a sulfur burner and I have been running it for short amounts of time (2 hours or less) about every 2-3 weeks and plan to continue to do so for preventive purposes. I am still experimenting with the amount of time that I run the sulfur burner, last time (3rd time ever using it) I only ran it for 30 minutes since it was a "maintenance" burn.

Anyway, here is the link for the DIY sulfur burner, so if you are broke and have time this is for you: http://forum.grassci...-[diy]-$30.html

I guess even though I didn't want to turn this into a "how do you fight PM?" thread, I am glad that it sort of did because I have stopped looking for that "holy grail" strain. I realized that I already had good genetics and that I just had to get the PM under control. Oh, yeah and my white russian clones that came from the "magnet for PM" have been looking great 7 weeks into flower, no sign of PM (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks for the great advice old hippie

• Pip
  • west27
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Eddyshore, I will definitely take a look and do some research.

Anyone else know of any other strong disease/pest resistant strains?

hemp might be one it grows wild

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

LOL, yeah. My buddy lives in S. Dakota and he told me that it grows wild up there. I didn't believe him at first, then he sent me several pictures of it growing in front of a walmart and on the side of the road (good looking buds too).

• It's better in the Dirt

• PipPipPip
  • old hippie
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Spaceinvaderx[/LEFT];10277437]Well, it has been a little over a month so I figured I should update this thread. Anyway, I am happy to report that after 2 short sulfur burns, there is virtually no sign of PM in my rooms! I built myself a sulfur burner and I have been running it for short amounts of time (2 hours or less) about every 2-3 weeks and plan to continue to do so for preventive purposes. I am still experimenting with the amount of time that I run the sulfur burner, last time (3rd time ever using it) I only ran it for 30 minutes since it was a "maintenance" burn.

Anyway, here is the link for the DIY sulfur burner, so if you are broke and have time this is for you: http://forum.grassci...-[diy]-$30.html

I guess even though I didn't want to turn this into a "how do you fight PM?" thread, I am glad that it sort of did because I have stopped looking for that "holy grail" strain. I realized that I already had good genetics and that I just had to get the PM under control. Oh, yeah and my white

russian

clones that came from the "magnet for PM" have been looking great 7 weeks into flower, no sign of PM (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks for the great advice old hippie

You are welcome, glad I could help. If you can keep your humidity below 40% you don't need to burn. Spores cannot survive below 40%.

• Pip
  • Stickygreenking
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

Never had a pm problem with my blue dream, and I had it right next to some poison that had a bad case of pm... Blue dream to me is one of the best strains when it comes to disease resistance.

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

Never had a pm problem with my blue dream, and I had it right next to some poison that had a bad case of pm... Blue dream to me is one of the best strains when it comes to disease resistance.

Thanks. I haven't had a single PM issue since I started using my home-made sulfur burner, I just do a burn for about an hour every 30-45 days (varies depending on how busy I am). Will definitely keep the blue dream in mind, I have heard nothing but good things from the growing community about this strain. I can also say that I've sampled some of it and it has a great aroma and effect.:smoke:

• Pip
  • Stickygreenking
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Won't Sulfur burning affect the taste during flower? I always thought you were suppose to burn right before putting them into flower

• CA MMJ patient

• Spaceinvaderx
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

I try not to burn sulfur too close to harvest time, but I have done it as close as 1 to 2 weeks before harvest with no taste issues. Typically, my burns only go for an hour and that is enough for my 2 rooms, which are about 20x5x10 feet (both rooms combined).

Edited by Spaceinvaderx, 04 November 2011 - 10:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users