Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dumbass Doctor

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by m3t4lm4n222, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Stop with the "I've never heard of a single person getting lung cancer from smoking marijuana" shit. This is, in itself, reverse propaganda propagated by pro-cannabis groups. The fact of the matter is, the attention is diverted to the backlash against legal tobacco; news agencies and protest groups are so focused on attacking Big Tobacco they ignore cannabis users. Once we see widespread acceptance of cannabis, we will then begin to see the same sort of effects, because while Yes I am pro-cannabis and I love everything about it, it is not the properties of the plant we are discussing. It is idea of inhaling the smoke from said combusted plant.

If you take two people, one who smokes cannabis and one who smokes pure tobacco (cultivated, cut and cured locally (without additives), not by a tobacco company) and eventually they will face similar health problems. However, people will more readily blame tobacco for its effects even though it itself has nothing in it that promotes cancer (similiar to cannabis) because that is how we have been programmed in the west.

Many people confuse the fact that the active ingredients in cannabis do not PROMOTE the growth of cancer cells like tobacco products with the idea that cannabis cannot cause cancer. And yes, there are cannabanoids and other chemicals in cannabis that inhibit the growth of cancer cells, but these chemicals do not necessarily include THC.

The fact of the matter is, inhaling the smoke of any combusted material is carcinogenic. Hell, the second hand inhalation of smoke can prove cancerous The product of any incomplete combustion process is CO, CO2, and O2. CO and CO2 are carcinogens. Inhaling them deeply into your lungs, such as you do when you SMOKE WEED is putting you at higher risk for cancer than someone who never does it.

2. You sincerely need to educate yourself on this matter, Granny Storm Crow left some awesome information that is contradictory to your statements.

Stop being so ignorant and learn something about MJ and cancer.;)

Here is the post she left...

Thanks again, Granny, hope all is well in your neck of the woods...:smoke:

3. You get mad at people jumping to conclusions and then you say this?

LOL!

How much research have you done regarding this matter? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say none.

4. What those studies show me, along with many others, is that when THC is injected into cancer ridden mice, it has properties that inhibit the growth of cancer cells. It does nothing to refute the fact that inhalation of smoke can cause cancer, because it can't be refuted.

I don't disagree that cannabis can be used to combat cancer, but that isn't the issue.

The fact is, cancer can be caused by random mutations in your cells. It is a matter of what puts you at higher risk, smoking or not smoking? Smoking definitely does, that is all I am trying to say.

5. Wow, you're a piece of work, no mice, and they refuted it, they said...

"Smoking Marijuana Does Not Cause Lung Cancer"

New research shows here seems to be something in pot that actually undermines cancer, instead of causing it. -- and the media are doing their best to ignore it.
    August 28, 2009

Editor's Note: There is a groundswell of attention in the news to marijuana's role in causing and preventing various types of cancers. Last week, AlterNet published an article from the Marijuana Policy Project about a new study finding that pot smokers have a lower risk of head and neck cancers than people who don't smoke pot. Earlier this year, the corporate media pounced on a study suggesting that men who had been using marijuana at least once per week and who had started smoking pot prior to age 18 had an elevated risk of testicular cancer known as nonseminoma, which makes up fewer than half of one percent of all cancer cases among men.
    Head, neck and testicular cancers are of course quite serious ailments to deal with, but what about cancer of the most obvious organ at risk with pot smoking, the lungs? Where's the science on that? The article below by Fred Gardner, editor of the medical marijuana research quarterly journal O'Shaughnessy's, shares the results of a major medical study the media completely ignored, and his conclusions are quite blunt on the matter: Smoking pot doesn't cause lung cancer. In fact, the study found that cigarette smokers who also smoked marijuana were at a lower risk of contracting lung cancer than tobacco-only smokers.

Smoking Marijuana Does Not Cause Lung Cancer
    by Fred Gardner
    One in three Americans will be afflicted with cancer, we are told by the government (as if it's our immutable fate and somehow acceptable). Cancer is the second-leading cause of death in the U.S. and lung cancer the leading killer among cancers.
    You'd think it would have been very big news in June 2005 when UCLA medical school professor Donald Tashkin reported that components of marijuana smoke -- although they damage cells in respiratory tissue -- somehow prevent them from becoming malignant. In other words, something in marijuana exerts an anti-cancer effect!
    Tashkin has special credibility. He was the lead investigator on studies dating back to the 1970s that identified the components in marijuana smoke that are toxic. It was Tashkin et al. who published photomicrographs showing that marijuana smoke damages cells lining the upper airways. It was the Tashkin lab's finding that benzpyrene -- a component of tobacco smoke that plays a role in most lung cancers -- is especially prevalent in marijuana smoke. It was Tashkin's data showing that marijuana smokers are more likely than non-smokers to cough, wheeze, and produce sputum.
    Tashkin reviewed his findings in April 2008, at a conference organized by “Patients Out of Time,” a reform group devoted to educating doctors and the public (as opposed to lobbying politicians). Some 30 MDs and nurses got continuing medical education credits for attending the event, which was held at Asilomar, on the Monterey Peninsula.
    The National Institute on Drug Abuse, which supported Tashkin's marijuana-related research over the decades, readily gave him a grant in 2002 to conduct a large, population-based, case-controlled study that would prove definitively that heavy, long-term marijuana use increases the risk of lung and upper-airways cancers.
    What Tashkin and his colleagues found, however, disproved their hypothesis. (Tashkin is to marijuana as a cause of lung cancer what Hans Blix was to Iraq's weapons of mass destruction -- an honest investigator who set out to find something, concluded that it wasn't there, and reported his results.)
    Tashkin's team interviewed 1,212 cancer patients from the Los Angeles County Cancer Surveillance program, matched for age, gender, and neighborhood with 1,040 cancer-free controls. Marijuana use was measured in “joint years” (number of years smoked times number of joints per day).

The rest is here...

Smoking Marijuana Does Not Cause Lung Cancer | Drugs | AlterNet

6. I'm tired of this. The same article you cite has another study that conflicts with your position, but conveniently enough that study is attacked because of accused statistical tampering. I'm not going to continue fighting over this, if you want to believe that cannabis is some wonder plant that can in no way shape or form cause cancer from inhaling its combusted form smoke, be my guest.

7. So what made you come to the conclusion that it DOES/CAN cause cancer? Please don't respond with "because you're inhaling smoke."

8. He's right man, ur inhaling smoke, which has many known carcinogens. Yes, maybe thc may help prevent cancer growth doesn't mean it will and the carcinogens that u inhaled will in turn cause cell mutations. We also don't know how and which of the body it prevents cancer in nor do we know whether the amount of thc inhaled is enough to prevent cancer. I think more research needs to be done, and over a longer period of time.

9. Inhaling smoke does not automatically mean you are susceptible to getting cancer. It's what is in the smoke that causes cancer and it has been shown time and time again that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer. So in short, no he's not right at all.

10. THC has been proven to stop the growth of malignant tumors...so while indeed you are burning a plant and inhaling it. You cannot get cancer because at the same time, THC stops the growth of cancers cells at the very source.

11. :confused:
    It doesn't take much, I admit, but you have successfully confused me.:confused:

The article has another study that conflicts with my position? Did you read the entire article?

12. It is obvious the slant the author put on this article.

Feel free to believe that the tumor fighting effects of THC outweigh the risks of inhaling smoke. Me personally? I don't think that the cancer fighting properties of THC are strong enough to overpower 20+ years of heavy daily use (3+ times a day). I'm much more inclined to believe the chemical delta 9 tetrahydracabinol should be used to treat cancer, not that it prevents it.

13. "You're a doctor? Gtfo."

14. Why would you tell your doctor that? If you think really believe that weed has no negative effects, then why even mention it to someone who could royally fuck you over, or who just doesn't agree with it. You're a dumbass for telling him, you're fault for the lecture.

Either you aren't 100% certain that it doesn't harm you, or you're just stupid.

Sorry for being harsh. Don't tell people you smoke unless you're good friends with them. Doctors probably wont usually go "Oh duuuuude, that's awesomeee, wanna roll a J in here?" They could seriously fuck you over.

I smoked regularly for a year or so and now haven't smoked in months. I wouldn't say that it causes addiction, but for a week or so after i quit, i craved it like crazy. It just makes everything better to me. But for now im staying away to get a job and what not, fixing my life blah blah. Just my thoughts.

15. I"ve found that no matter how much research is done, people will believe what they want. It's an actual phenomenon called Morton's Demon. It seems your doctor is being possesed by Morton's demon. Allow him to stay ignorant and find someone who knows what they are doing. That said, he may be right about the physical therapy and more exercise.

16. How can they fuck you over lol? Doctor - patient confidentiality bro..
    They can't just go run along to the popo's like "hey, one of my patients is a marijuana user, I would like him arrested" No.

The only way they can 'fuck you over', is by doing what this doctor did and spit out his opinion and be a dick about it..other than that, nothing they can really do.
    Unless the laws have changed the last time I went to the doctor's office lol..

17. ya they cant fuck u over and honestly which doc would. They have much more important things to do then deal with someone who smokes weed

18. Lmao the doctor only knows what he reads and watches in the news