preventing gnats?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cornet, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Ive just read about how MiracleGro Organic generally has gnat problems. How can I prevent this while they aren't here yet? Just bought the soil and put the seeds in today, didn't see any bugs or larvae in the bag...

2. My organic choice had gnats in them as well, Put it in a bowl and microwave it. It'll kill the gnats, eggs,larvae get one of those sticky strips and just hang it in and away from your plant and it should be good.

3. Does neem oil work against this, and general harvest safe pesticides. I've noticed a bug or two, and saw something under thenmkcroscope on my tomato plant I'm vegging indoors. I'm using miracle grown organic soil. I have my DWC MJ begging right next to them :(. My grows always been bug free.

4. That sounds like a good idea, but...I've already planted them all. Should I replant them in new soil after microwaving, or is there an easier way?

5. hot shot no pest strip... six dollars at home depot or lowes... some dont like them, some do... depends

6. Just keep your grow room sterile and you shouldn't have any problems

7. (depending on how much area you need to spray) chop up some garlic, ( in a small grow area one clove is probably plenty) and although i just let the diced up garlic sit in a cup of water, it'd work well to put it in warm/hot water. Strain the garlic out so you have garlic juice. Put it in a spray bottle and sparingly spray your plants and the soil with the garlic water, ive found it drives a majority of bugs away.

It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to dilut the garlic water with more water, as it can stink up a whole room if your not careful. The first time i tryed this, i had gone a little overboard, and aside form spraying ther plants, i had sprayed the inside of box they were in (it was cardboard so it soaked in) and my room stank of garlic for a week, i couldnt sleep in it as it made my eyes water, and my skin stank of garlic after being in the room for 5 minutes tending to the plants. But a day or two after spraying i had found about 5 dead gnats and a mayfly in the box. It was that rancid.

This is just a quick cheap techique and your proabably better off going out and spending like 10 bucks for some other method