How can I get my plants to hermie?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Skunkariffic, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I want to hermie my two indoor plants so that I can get some seeds to plant this spring. I've had them on fucked up light cycles, 48 hours dark for some periods, sometimes 6/18, sometimes 12/12, and I open the flowering chamber to let bouts of light in here and there, are there any more stresses that I can put on the plants to make them hermie? I don't have the money for seeds, and I figure I can still make some hash oil from the leftover bud, so I'll be all set.

2. Manhandling them could do the trick. Give them all a real good shake from the main stem every day.

3. I heard u can just let it grow longer than u should it will start to hermit bc it knows the end is near and trys to survive

4. constant light leaks. If There is a light leak for the ENTIRE dark period, it should hermie, if not..idk.. And very wrongly FIMing then might work.

5. The whole light leak thing sort of confuses me. How do these plants not hermie when grown outdoors? Have you ever been outside at night. There at the very least is still moonlight.

6. evolution ? ever heard of it ?

cannabis grew with out man for thousands of years.

It is like this .. you ever seen light reflect off of a gray wall? it doesn't reflect even 25% of that light.....the moon is gray AND a 1/4 million miles away .....

• Like Like x 1
  7. My point is, that when I go outside at night it is not complete darkness. I can see much better than I can inside a tent with a couple small light leaks. Inside the tent, I can't see my hand two inches in front of my face. Outside I can see a good distance in front of me.

So I am just trying to understand how a small light leak can cause a plant to hermie when a plant grown outdoors with much better visibility has no problems.

8. ahh ... okay I get it ..

well in all likely hood you will not get a hermie. if you can't see.

it takes a pretty large light leak to induce stamens IMHO...You'll have a better chance with fluctuating the light schedule...12/12 for a week.. 2 days of 24/7 on.. 3 days of 12/12.. just a random light schedule that breaks the 12/12 barrier every other time..

or go with a sure thing and hit the CS

9. Gibberellic acid, aspirin, and even ph Up and Down (and other chemicals when used inappropriately to stress, but not kill the plant), can be used to cause isolated hermaphroditism in your plants, when used at concentrations high enough, to not-quite burn the affected area, allowing stressed but reasonably 'healthy' growth to continue. Apply to a branch or node, and the growth closest to (and beyond that point) will eventually show male growth.

When used as a root soak on a cutting or female seedling, you can alter the sex of the entire plant, for higher volumes of pollen. You'll need to experiment with how much you use, starting out low and slow; keeping in mind that the best breeders take the most torment to turn hermie. Plant that go over too easily should be discarded.

Hope this helps :)

10. The sun puts out a few more lumens than most indoor growers are working with. It's more the contrast between how much light, and then how much consistent-dark, the plants are getting. If the light leak is irregular, or within a certain intensity of your daylight hours, it's less natural and more likely to produce stress in your (usually, weaker) plants.

Often it's not just a light leak, but a combination of little things elsewhere in the environment where the indoor climate and food-supply is up to the grower to control, aspects which individually may not make a difference, but when stresses are combined it may only take one more straw (a new, seemingly minuscule light leak) to 'break the camels back'.

11. Do you know any other growers? I bet people would be glad to donate a male. I'd give you one if you were close.

12. yes that will make it pollinate itself, which is a tad unstable in my opinion. only about half will grow, the rest will be duds, the best thing IMO is to use colloidal silver to make one hermie thru a chemical process. other females that are normal will be the ones you breed with (not only will this avoid inbreeding in most cases, but it also provides you a cross that is way more stabilized and therefore predictable. if by the time you get the pollen, its too late to make seeds. you can put a dried pollen sack in a bag or whatever, (double bag preferred) and freeze it for next year, you need enuf time left in the females to develop the seeds. hope this helps man, feel free to ask anything i was vague about:smoke:

13. ive had friends hermie a plant just by going in their grow room/cp room and turning on the computer monitor for 30 minutes about 3 different nights. thats all it took for it to hermie, one should never ever mess with a plant in its 'sleep cycle', if you must, get a true Green LED bulb as this will not affect them becuz they dont use green light. Its proven that LED green bulbs work for night time 'peeking/working'. and about the outside grows, i understand what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense that it would hermie except for the fact that MJ has been around since the dawn of existance and it has adapted just like everything else that has made it this far (its the actual grow light leaking in that kept it 'awake' and altered its photoperiod cycle, Imagine all the plants and strains that didnt make it.... Breaks my heart to think we have probly lost more genetics to extinction, or the true blood genetics lost to cross breeding, than the total number of strains in the world today. (im not counting crosses of today. im simply stating they had more pure breeds and thus they were capable of making more crosses than we are capable of now. ;)

14. If it's that small of a light leak, it probably WON'T make your plants hermie. They have a limit as to how much light they can handle during their dark period. The full moon isn't enough to interrupt it. If you can't see your hand in front of your face, that probably won't do a thing.

15. I tried to prune a plant to not look like ganja by removing all of the blades on each leaf except the center one. It was my only hermy to date.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi all

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but

I was sifting thru my harvest and found a total of 30 white seeds.

My question is these two plants are second generation clones of 2 females from last year, no signs of male plants anywhere. First gen plants had no seeds at all in harvest. Lovely white pistils everywhere, no sign of the male flower at all.

Well I have to be honest they both were stressed with light cycles, nute burn, over watering etc. So could I have aided in the creation of hermies, if so was my grow worthless in the bud it produced.

[SIZE=11pt]The seeds wouldn't they be feminized[/SIZE]

17. Hey the bud should still be fine just maybe a little lower quality.

18. you going about it the wrong way...find a stable plant and hit it with cs or sts...then you will have something worth while ..yeehaw

19. ^^THIS^^