white only scholarships

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Boobz, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Blacks have "mistreated" other blacks. Hispanics have mistreated other hispanics. Every single race in human existence is guilty of this. But you only want one of the races punished. Sounds good.

2. What about just helping the poor everywhere not because of a race, but because they want to better their life and go to College?

3. A step in the totally wrong direction, why dont they just get rid of all scholarships based on race. Race gets injected into our every day life enough as it is.

4. Not nearly to the extent that whites have.

Can you honestly look at the history of the 20th century and say that racial discrimination and prejudice hasn't drastically affected these minority groups? Nope.

EDIT: And don't act like you can just "ignore" race, our society has made it such a huge factor it's become a defining characteristic. And we do have plenty of scholarships for disadvantage students, regardless of race.

5. Do you really think the black community would let you get rid of black scholarships? Or the same for hispanics, or any race that is currently receiving one? If so, let me know what you smokin on so i can get some. By creating a white scholarship, now everyone has one! I agree with the ALL or none, But till there is none it must be ALL.

6. Can you honestly ignore rhwanda genocides??

7. To avoid a class war, the rich have made sure that the working classes have racial division - it kept them too preoccupied to be able to organize and demand better pay, benefits, and job security.

The upper classes blamed everything on "racist" working whites, AKA "Rednecks" - who had their own problems and were not responsible for those of minorities.

But that's not the official, university-approved, version.

8. Can you honestly post something relevant? We're talking about Texas here, not Rwanda or Sudan.

9. Not saying you have to ignore it but I'm all about equality, the guy who created this was on CNN today and he talked about how everybody else has a Scholarship, but not White Males. He found issue with this coming back from Iraq and trying to go to college but found no Scholarship oppurtunities, and said well lets make our own then.

Look I'd rather Race not get involved at all, true our "Society" makes it a big issue, but when it comes to Edjumacation, it should not. Everyone should have the opportunity to get a College Education that earned that right. Many don't because they don't have the funds, whether they be White or Green. But when our Society decides to make scholarship opportunities to damn near every other race & sex besides Caucasian Males, well this guy stood up to the plate to represent them.

10. I have never intentionally fucked over any person of any race. And I'm white.

I know a white guy that was applying for retraining benefits. Three times he got denied. On the fourth he checked the Hispanic box, and guess what happened? Yup, he got the funding. Wonder what happened there?

Being white does not give you an advantage in all situations.

Then they should stop pretending its about "equality" and just come out and say its about payback.

I think all government funded financial aid should not even take into account the persons race. If someone is applying for government aid, then there should not even be a race box on their application. This way the people who might be biased who are processing these apps, don't even have an opportunity to know what the race is.

While we are at it. If equality was important to the powers that be, race should not even be a choice on ANY government form. Your picture id shows what you look like. That's about all they really need.

All that said. If a PRIVATE organization wants to choose who they give their money for school too. I think not a single person in the world has any reason to stop them. It not your money, so leave them the fuck alone.

11. ^^what he said

12. Why should it even matter what race they are? There is no difference between a black poor person and a white poor person, there both poor as shit. Yes non whites are discriminated against more and are given less opportunities but the more we focus on race the more we are divided and the easier we are controlled. I understand why people would want to give scholarships to minorities based on race but all that is doing is putting another bandaid over the giant shit pile that is America. No matter how many bandaids we put on that pile of shit it is still a pile of shit and the easier people can recognize it as a pile of shit, the easier we can overthrow that pile of shit. So I say off with the bandaids so we can all see things for how they truly are.

13. So how is white people mistreating other races in the 20th century relevant? ????? This is texas...... like u said this is about texas......

14. This.
    I am not responsible for the actions of my ancestors, no-one with slave owning ancestor's who has not themself owned slaves should feel guilty about it.
    Black people who have not been slaves imo shouldn't be entitled to compensation for things that happened to their ancestors.

15. /5char

16. Considering those actions directly affected my grandparents, which in turn affected my parents, which in turn affect me.

The actions of your ancestors still have results that are HIGHLY prevalent in today's society. Cities with highly concentrated areas of blacks are usually some of the poorest in the city, which is often directly a result of segregation. Poorer neighborhoods--> poorer schools, more prone to negative influence--> lower quality of education.

17. I understand that, and I feel a great deal of compassion, but not guilt.
    But it's not my fault, it was my ancestors.
    It'd be like asking a sane modern day German to apologize for the actions of the nazis.

18. oh don't worry there are people who would do that too...

19. What exactly does this have to do with my story?

Perhaps if they werent seperated into racial groups ... they might be treated more equally? You don't make someone equal by helping one more than another.

Are you more interested in equal oppourtunity? Or equal outcomes? Equal outcomes inherently demand inequal treatment in order to make poorer people recieve the same as richer people. A person who works harder, but has a little more money, does not get equal help. Sounds kind of like your more interested in equal outcomes.

What explicit benefit does the government have from knowing a persons race? WHat does this statistic help them do, if not to make sure some group is getting more than another?

20. And are you being punished?

So because it wasn't your fault these disadvantaged groups shouldn't be somehow assisted?

We should just say "damn that sucks" and move on?

Nah.