First Time Grower- Apartment Closet Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by athensman, Feb 28, 2011.

1. As the title states, I'm a first time grower, looking at doing a closet grow. Well, I guess technically it is a grow box, which will be in a closet. I am a college age student, and I have lived in this complex for eight months now. Never had any check ups from management or anything like that. So I am pretty comfortable with my surroundings. I know one set of neighbors blazes as well, so that's good, but not so sure about the others near by. There is a police officer who lives in the complex about a hundred yards from my building, so I definitely want to keep odor management a top priority.

The closet itself goes wider than the opening out of the wall, and has metal sliding doors, so the cabinet will fit nicely with space behind and to the left and right.

The box I plan to use is a Shop Stor-it-all 70"H x 48"W x 24'D. I already think I will need to reinforce the box a little to suit my needs, but that is fine. I plan on purchasing a 400 Watt HPS lighting system/ballast. I think I am going to just paint the inside of the cabinet flat white, but I also am considering doing mylar. Is it worth it?

I'm going to get a 6 in inline duct fan for the exhaust, equipped with one of the DIY carbon filters from this site. Also a simple fan for the intake, even though I know it's debatable on whether you need it or not. I planned on putting the exhaust fan at the top of one side and the intake on the bottom of the other, so as to be hidden inside the closet. Also was thinking about an oscillating fan on the inside to keep the air circulating.... I read some where on here as long as you aren't blowing the plants over or damaging that circulation and heat management are a good thing.

I also planned on investing in a pH checker. And of course the appropriate soil and nutrients.

Am I missing any obvious essentials? I know I will need to do some work on lightproofing it. Does weather stripping work well? Any tips on security for the grow would be much appreciated. There is constantly a tv or radio on in the apartment, or laptop playing music, so I am not toooo terribly worried about the sound, mainly the smell.

Also, about how many plants do you think I could grow in that area, given the sq footage, height, lighting, etc.

2. I really hate to bump, but I could really really use some of y'alls knowledge.

3. ok well id be worried that a 400w hps will burn down my closet, but i never really have had much experience with them. ive been supporting the DR grow tents ever since i bought one. if what youre growing is for personal use, you will be jsut fine growing one plant and topping it several times, get a dr40 tent for 90$, a 150w hps for 100$, and i bought a 4inch bathroom exhaust fan... works just fine, stuff doesnt get too hot.

now as far as what youre working with..
    if you have a box built, make sure you have intake as well as exhaust, the fan on the inside i feel is mandatory, not only for air circulation but for stressing the plant slightly and thicker stem growth, you need some type of ph checker, if u ever have a problem with your plant, ph is the first thing you gotta check, if its off the plant wont absorb nutrients correctly. i personally think mylar is totally worth it, found a 25x2ft roll for 25$, its completely reflective and just looks amazing, youll need all weather aluminum reflective tape to hold it up, duct tape will peel with humidity.

i really suggest getting a tent, especially if youre worried about security.

4. I'm going to bump you up, I'm actually considering doing something very similar with a box we're going to make out of a generic cabinet with doors. 59" x 23.5" x 11 is my outside size, so I'm thinking of something similar.