Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

tolerance to edibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by koko91, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I make edibles, and I make them well. The butter is fantastic, and wrapped in a fudgy brownie is divine. Everyone I know tries them and says they are amazingly potent, and these are people who've been smoking all day- every day for years in every form imaginable, for the past 30 yrs. Some of them are also on loads of pills and don't get high at all- or at least very well anymore- they only ever get a buzz. But they still like my edibles and get high from them, like knock you on your ass high.
    But every now and then I get some 20-something who's smoked a few years and says he can't get high from them at all, not even a buzz. IS it possible edibles just don't effect some people? :confused:

2. #2 zyxwv88, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
    Yes. Some people metabolize and absorb different substances more or less efficiently or may have more tolerance.

I for example have a high drug tolerance for pretty much any oral drug. If I am taking painkiller, I need 2-3 times to regular dose to have about 1/2 the effect most people get. For some reason smoking seems to be more effective for me. It takes a lot more edibles to get me high than smoking.

Oh, and I'm not a habitual or regular partaker in painkillers. I rarely take them because they don't work well for me, so I am 100% sure that it's not from building up tolerances. The very first time I tried edibles I hadn't even hardly smoked, so it couldn't have been tolerance there either. It's a genetic thing that at least half of my family has as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who don't get very high on edibles are resistant to many oral medications like I am.

3. When you take an edible, marijuana is introduced into your system WAY more efficiently than smoking it. Practically none of the THC is wasted.

For example, some stoners (who smoke all day, everday) could probably smoke a gram to themselves, and get really blazed, but not over the top blazed. But if that same person were to take a brownie with a gram in it, the high would be intensified, ridiculously intensified. Almost not comparable to the smoking high. It'd affect their body much more than smoking would, so you'd get a gnarly body high.

So I wouldn't chop it down to saying that tolerance doesn't come into effect with edibles.. but most people don't use edibles as the only way of administering the drug.

4. I've often felt this way too, I've been wayyy higher from smoking than eating any edibles.

5. #5 zyxwv88, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
    Well, although basically true, it doesn't account for individuals like myself. For many it may be more efficient, but personally I have to take 2x as much in the form of edibles as I would smoking to get high, if not closer to 3x. A couple firecrackers that get my friends who smoke regularly pretty high will only give me a mild buzz.

I can tell you 100% for sure that edibles are not the most efficient for some people like myself because of how our bodies work. Yes, you may get more into your body, but some people's bodies react differently.

It can come down to tolerance for many (or probably most) people, but the poster did ask if it's possible that edibles don't affect some people much, and the answer to his question was a pretty sound yes. Why some people like myself can't get as high from edibles, I have no idea, but considering that my first edibles I had (firecrackers) got my friends high and didn't hardly do anything to me, and I had probably only smoked a dozen times total, I think it's pretty safe to say it's not tolerance. I do build up tolerances faster than most people, but a dozen times spread out over a couple months wouldn't count (I was weekend only at the time)

That being said, I still do edibles sometimes and will do more when my plants are harvested because I hate smoking and I dislike vaping (I've had somewhat sensitive lungs my whole life). If I have to use 4x as much in edibles, I'm fine with it if I'm growing because it doesn't really cost me anything extra if I'm growing. Until then, I'm going for efficiency :)

6. I have issues with smoking, as it irritates my lungs horribly, and gives me coughing and bronchitis like mad, but with my limited experience with such things, edibles do way way way more for me than smoking. I have had highs way greater from edibles than smoking. The smoking method doesn't seem to hit me very efficiently at all. Edibles take much longer, but put me on my butt way heavier than smoke.

7. You ever tried vaping? I have always hated smoking and it often makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Vaping is tons easier on my throat and lungs. It makes a world of difference.

I have a buddy who's smoked for probably 20 years that I introduced to vaping. He said that he tried to smoke last week and he couldn't because it was so harsh on his lungs compared to vaping.

8. i dont get as high from smoking after eating potent edibles. plus edibles make me kinda groggy and too mellow.. the effects lasts a really long time too. i guess its good for anxiety though. i dont partake in edibles too often anymore