Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Grasscity.com 420 Sale - 25% Discount

soil mix.???

• Please log in to reply

jones

jones

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 351 posts
need a decent soil mix for outdoors....
i have available localy. at the big box stores
perlite....
peatmoss......
manure compost...
organic potting soil..... not MG
blood and bone meal....
dynomite lime..

I"am thinking
50% potting soil
25%compost
12.5% peatmoss
12.5% perlite
10 cups each of blood and bone
10 cups of lime
let it sit for 30 days?

makeing about 80 gallons of soil does this sound correct?
or if you have something better

Similar Topics: soil mix.???     x

TexRx

TexRx

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 3,285 posts
That sounds OK to me

Add a little water to the soil mix and let it sit for 30 days!!

:)

Edited by TexRx, 11 February 2011 - 12:06 AM.

btc2112

btc2112

dharma bum

• Registered Upgraded
  • 309 posts
What up Jones:smoke:

If you can get pumice instead of perlite without breaking your bank you may want to think about it. It weighs less than pumice so it costs less to ship, which is why it's cheaper but perlite tends to have high levels of natural fluoride, which end up leaching into the soil over time. Usually not too big of a concern for us with short cycle crops but it's something to think about, especially if you've seen plants with fluoride poisoning...yikes:eek:

Other wise your mix look like a good start, don't forget some kind of kelp and alfalfa products-pretty much standard around here; and I'd grab some minerals and crustacean/oyster shell meals if can get 'em. A complete, diverse soil will contain all the necessary macro and trace nutrients and require nothing more than h2o and some teas every few weeks.

ps- that seems like a bit too much lime to me but I'll see if someone else knows for sure. i use gypsum here in sd due to all the clay in my yards and have never really used too much lime.

Have fun and happy growing!!!:D

TexRx

TexRx

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 3,285 posts
You can add some Lava sand and also Green sand for minerals, too. It's what I use
10 Cups of either added to your mix sounds good

Both are high in minerals and retain some moisture
I add it to my compost and top-dress my lawn with it

And here's the dry kelp meal I use
Posted Image

Edited by TexRx, 11 February 2011 - 02:31 AM.

jones

jones

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 351 posts

What up Jones:smoke:

If you can get pumice instead of perlite without breaking your bank you may want to think about it. It weighs less than pumice so it costs less to ship, which is why it's cheaper but perlite tends to have high levels of natural fluoride, which end up leaching into the soil over time. Usually not too big of a concern for us with short cycle crops but it's something to think about, especially if you've seen plants with fluoride poisoning...yikes:eek:

Other wise your mix look like a good start, don't forget some kind of kelp and alfalfa products-pretty much standard around here; and I'd grab some minerals and crustacean/oyster shell meals if can get 'em. A complete, diverse soil will contain all the necessary macro and trace nutrients and require nothing more than h2o and some teas every few weeks.

Have fun and happy growing!!!:D

I"am sorry not lime i need gypsum..or somthgin to lower PH ....
The local soil is sandy with clay, gray in color and solid... I"am planing on planting on the swamp edge.. the waters 7.3 ..
should i cut my perlite in half?
I"ll see about getting som kelp meal and alfaalfa meal..
how much per gallon.? or per CuFt?

Thanks I appreciate the help.:wave:

You can add some Lava sand and also Green sand for minerals, too. It's what I use
10 Cups of either added to your mix sounds good

Both are high in minerals and retain some moisture
I add it to my compost and top-dress my lawn with it

And here's the dry kelp meal I use
Posted Image

Ya I"am gonna look for some green sand....

and I"am gonna need to get a box of bat guano to make teas..

Thanks guys any input or advise is appreciated..

Edited by jones, 11 February 2011 - 12:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users