planting under pine trees

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 420stankdank, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Is it a bad idea? i have read that the Ph is to acidic for the plants , is this true or is it a bunch of lies?

2. #2 clodhopper, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    Its not a bunch of lies 420. Pines tend to grow in shallow, clay heavy, acidic soil. Pine saplings provide good cover for plants but youre probably going to have to fix the dirt or replace it.

In my opinion, you need to do a couple of things:
    Take a shovel-go to the site and dig a hole. The depth of the soil, the color and texture of the soil is important. Is it wet?

Also, look at other vegetation that might be growing there. Any tall weeds or just pines and shrubs? Growth of other herbacious weeds can give you an indication as to how your weed wiil grow. Google "Soil for pines" and see what types of soil pines tend to grow in.

Try to identify some other plants that are growing naturally at the site and google their soil conditions. This should give you a good idea what type of soil is there and then you will know what you have to do.

Are crops such as corn grown in your area? Is it an agricultural area?

3. Thanks for the help. No corn is grown there. And the soil is kinda moist. If I dig a whole a place my own soil wouldent the roots just shoot out past my soil and touch the pines acidic soil? And doesn't lime eventually wash away with waterings?

4. Burlap bag thoroughly dust with hydrated like .
    Fill bag with you're well researched soil & amendment personal mix .
    Dig hole best sunniest yet covert spot by the pine tree you decide and place bag in apropriately sized hole n plant

Hopefully you have water figured out !

The burlap helps provide a somewhat closed environment from the unfriendly neighboring soil .the hyd lime helps with the acidity of the soil , and a number of other things

5. Seems like the pine tree would shade it.

6. Hydrated (slaked) Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) is never a good idea. It’s probably the worst liming agent out there.

j

7. Mixed in the soil directly maybe I've got ten years using this method inbertweenx da pines and I've had great results.

8. I dust the burlap bag not the soil hydrated lime kills any mold / bugs / disease in the burlap and makes a barrier for the above mentioned

Could be I've just had great luck with my lil bit of skills and the dusting of the bag is a placebo effect on me old brain

9. I’ll never say anything bad about actual experience, however, the stuff is just really strong and in my opinion there are better alternatives.

thanks

j

10. My neighbor has a pine tree that dropped its shit on my plants every day. While it was a pain picking that stuff off, I didn't notice any difference between those buds and buds not near that tree. I just no longer plant in that area because I don't want the added chore of removing pine needles.

12. I have grown in the pines. Two harvests this year. It's a learning lesson. Dig good deep holes and use good soil.i use 1 bag of soil and 1/4 pine soil. That turned everything exactly rite give or take a few minor mistakes. I got fat Humboldt and Kush strands 4 weeks to go. Pines are the ultimate camo.pines no larger than 8 foot. I been doin this a long time. It's an experience you will be rewarded for. good growing to ya