Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I dont think ill be making any caps. im just making some oil to mix with food. Im using dried/cured buds, high/mid grade.

but my first batch of oil fucking failed because i got sidetracked, forgot i was cooking and didnt remember to fill the double boiler with water :/ so it all turned into carcinogenic goop that i threw out :(
    Retrying again though shortly. Re-setting up the process as we speak. I at least got the jist of it down so far haha

2. Ok so here ill break down my second process for you as best as i can( i just ingested two brownies[​IMG])
    1. i ground weed up, not fine, but all consistent at least. it was about ~3~ or so grams of high/mid grade weed/nugs. These arnt fresh buds, just something ffrom a local source.
    2.Placed in a small ceramic condiment dish and spread it out evenly, and wrapped TIGHTLY in aluminum foil. Placed it in the pre heated oven at 250, for eeehh roughly 20 minutes or so. I removed the dish from the oven and placed , still covered, in front of a fan blowing cool air(figured id avoid cracking the dish and condensation from fridge/freezer)

3. During that period, I set up a double boiler using a small ceramic pot, and a ceramic bowl(cereal bowl, its a thick good strong one) The pot had a small pour lip so it had a vent for the steam to come out.(Also make sure the pot is small/big enough for your bowl to fit in and be heated by the steam, and not DIRECT HEAT!!) I was able to pretty much gauge the heat very well suing this method. I set the heating element to NO MORE than medium heat wich is 5 for me. 5 is half way. I did not go any higher than that because the temperatures get too hot at that point. ****NOTE**** using this double boiling method, make sure you WATCH your water levels in the pot with the bowl placed in the top. My first batch as I mentioned failed because the water evaporated and it just kept heating the pot/bowl and my oil turned black as night and burnt :(. DO NOT EAT BURNT OIL. IT IS CARCINOGENIC!!!! it tastes like ass anyway haha

4. I placed in a half a cup(8 Tbspns) of Lou Ann brand coconut oil. I didnt /pour/ it out o the jar either, i scooped it out after a little mixing to ensure a nice mixture of oil. In this time I also placed in a Tbspoon of Soy Lecithin granules. Hopefully at this point most sure understand why i added that haha
    Once it was heated a little and the granules were starting to mix some, i through the weed into the mixture once it was done properly cooling off.( if done right you should notice your herb is dry and there is some oily/way condensation under the foil cover when you decarbbed.)

5. I left a lid on it, and pretty much just periodically stirred/mixed the oil for an hour or so.
    6. I took the bowl out, still covered with a lid, i used a pot lid, and let it sit in front of a fan to cool it down properly with out cracking the ceramic. I then placed the mixture in the refridgerator for a couple of hours until it thickened up and became a solid again. By this point it was a very pretty green color. It smelled /ok/. yea. not fresh herbs so hahahaha i expected it.

7. Once solid again, i SLOWLY warmed the dish back up and thawed out the mixture again on the double boiler. Do it slowly because ceramic cracks under intense temperature changes. Please remember that. I again let it cook probably only like thirty or fourty five minutes. Not so long this time. I repeated step 6 again and turned it back into a solid. Once I was ready to make the edibles, hours later, I repeated the first part of step 7 and slowly brought it back to warm and liquid mixture.

8. once liquid again, i strained it through a single fine metal strainer. There was really no sediment in it besides a little REALLY SMALL particles, idc about all that myself. if you want more filtration??? Thats entirely up to you.
    I did set the weed particles to the side though because in this recipe i was NOT wasting product haha

9. At this point its up to you what you do. The recipe i used for brownie/cookie bars needed a half a cup of softened butter so I started it all with a half cup of coconut oil.

So here are a couple things i think i forgot. I only decarbbed my bud half way, for a couple of reasons. Its all going to continue decarbing while being cooked into the oil. oil removes moisture from itself when heated up(the little bubbles that swarmed around the weed particles while being heated). Its going to continue decarbing technically when it gets put into the mixture of food dish I prepared while its cooking. I didnt wanna /over cook/ the weed!!!. The end product had a very subtle fresh herb taste. It was very swet and rich!! Very tasty!!

Im only a couple hours in though on two brownies. This batch only made 4 big brownies.
    The lecithin seems to make a huge difference though!!!!! im feeling really medicated right now haha

3. Anyone in Denver ? I'm visiting on business till tomorrow .. was looking for a place to hang out tonight, since there's no legal place to consume

4. And you thought licking the frosting bowl was fun..
    [​IMG]
    Another double batch of caps gets made up.. We do so love this product on the Brass Pharm

5. I just made some canna caps. Five grams kief to 2 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Followed the recipe- added some lecithin . Mine came out with the oil so thick I had trouble getting it into the capsules. I cut the end off the pipette to just fit the inside of the capsule, but the stuff was too thick to draw up well. I didn't want to add more oil as my kief is not that strong. I only did one freezing cycle. I had the recipe written down and followed it exactly. What did I do wrong?

6. From post #1 in this thread:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >The inert and depleted trichome cuticles or husks will not be immediately dissolved by oil ormany other solvents, and will generally settle to the base of the oil. These do however containinfused coconut oil of the same strength as your finished oil, and it can be worth capping thesludge, or better, reclaiming the oil inside using a small volume of alcohol which may be strained then evaporated or purged off, leaving behind the infused coconut oil.. when woriing with tiny batches you're best off just capping the full sludge, unless you have dietary sensitivities to microscopic plant hairs.</blockquote>

7. Thanks, puddleglum. I didn't read far enough, or remember that part. I mixed the last of the sludge in some melted chocolate. Got most of it in capsules though. Going to wait for the weekend to try them.

8. *-I've been

9. #3489 BrassNwood, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
    Additional freezing and heating cycles helps break down the remaining fine particulates even further to the point I have very few clumps that don't draw up an eyedropper.. About 4 cycles is my standard.. I keep the cups and the material warm while capping swapping them back in the oven to pick up some temp if they cool to far.. A coffee cup warmer is what mrsilly uses if I remember.. I constantly stir keeping all the sludgy bits suspended and the caps getting as even a blend as I can.. I use a full tablespoon of oil to 5 grams of 160 micron dry ice kief and just wing the lecithin by eye.. You'll find the kief on the bottom of the **bowl** and the oil floating on top after every heat so stir often.. I'll do my heating in 10 min segments just to get more stir time.. Makes about 30 size "0" caps
    BNW

10. ""You'll find the kief on the bottom of the bowel and the oil floating on top"".....Bowel, Woody???? Are you HIGH or somethin'?? LMAO! I know what you meant, but had HAD to say something.....LMAO!

~Sunny~

11. Silly Wabbit when am I NOT high?? HAHAHAHHAHAHhahahahahhahahahahhaha I usually read the damn thing 3 or 4 times looking for errors before I post but.. Dish or Cup would have been a better choice.. The computer didn't underline it as more of my crappy spelling and it just didn't register..

12. Might I suggest that In between heating and freezing cycles you smash the Trichomes with the back of a spoon or tines of a fork. I always do this between heating cycles weather it is keif or leaf lol.

Good thing the spelling and grammar Nazi's don't follow me around. They would have a full time job. Lol

Happy Mediables

13. I did a test run (as i am still an edible making noob) with some peanutbutter, 2 tspn of coconut oil and 2tspn of granule lecithin. I added about 1.3-5 of decarbed good-medium quality weed, and i also (please dont hate me for this) took some dank resin out of my bong slide and threw it in(big fucking mistake.)

The resin ws for the purpose of adding a kick, and just to see if resin is orally active, which yes it is i found :/ but it tastes like pure rancid ass when mixed with any food. bleechhh

anyway. I did the no heat method on this one, thawing and cooling multiple times through the week, adding little bits here n there to up hte potency. After one week i finnaly decided to eat it.

Yep. I got high as shit. 4 spoonfulls of that nasty shit and i was gone for 10 hours. Highly medicated. The effects were borderline purely therapeutic/and straight blasted away. It felt very very good. I was in the best mood ever all day yesterday and felt no anxiety/pain/depression/awkwardness etc....

I will be reporting back with more experiments!!!!!

14. Thanks for the recipe and report. Sounds great. Waiting for more experiments.

15. Is there any way to do this procedure on a stove, as I find that a lot easier to keep the temperature in check? Right now I'm doing the trial and error method which is starting to get a bit expensive. This is the kind of hash I'm working with:

[​IMG]

It's sticky as f*ck and close to impossible to decarboxylate properly since it simply melts... A small kick in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

16. Maybe get a ceramic dish to put the hash in but the dish will also serve as the counterpart to your double boiler witch can be done on the stove with a small pot and some water. But use the dish to decarb the hash in, then use the dish to mix the hash with wahtever you need to mix it with.

idk. im still a noob myself. are the edible sworking at all? also hwat dosages are you working with?

17. #3497 zep844, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    If anyone reading this has a moment to give me their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with a small batch (2/3 cup coconut oil 5.5g dried buds) that I made this week. This was my first time making oil after years of smoking and the harshness on my throat is starting to take its toll. I did the dry decarb on my material for 22 minutes at 225 and then allowed it to cool fully, there didn't seem to be much of a visual change in the material but it was much more pungent.

I then dusted the material with lecithin and added the oil and gave it a little stir. Put it in the oven sealed for 45min @ 225, removed it let it cool and mashed the mixture up a bit.

At this point I resealed and reintroduced the mixture to the oven at 225 for another 45 minutes, after the time ran out I cut the heat and left the entire oven sealed for 30 minutes before removing the dish.

At this point after the container cooled fully I gave the dish a 2 hour freeze. Following the freeze I removed the container and thawed it on low on the stove, strained the mix through a cheesecloth, gave it a good squeeze and made the brownies as the box said at 325 at 28 minute.

I don't know if I destroyed my active cannabinoids at some point or never activated them at all, or if the amount of bud used was just far too small but I did not experience any type of effects let alone a high.

If any advice can be offered, I would greatly appreciate it before attempting this again. I am thinking about a smaller batch of brownies (6 vs 12) with more bud full 7g. My daily smoked dose is around 1.4g.

Thanks

18. Zep844
    • Try making the oil following the general directions for the base oil..
    • Take your 5 grams of bud, dry and grind to as fine a powder as you can then decarb 40 Min covered @ 220 degs
    • Mix with just enough coconut oil to make a sludge, About 1 table spoon.. Add up to 1/2 tea spoon of lecithin and process as you've been doing 20 min @ 220 then freeze, repeat 3 more times.. Stirring often as possible..
    • Now add this to your 2/3rd cup of oil for your brownies or cap the original oil directly as I like to do. You just need a more concentrated form.. Use the Bigger 00 caps and as thick an oil as you can still work..
    BNW

19. I like a lot more cannabis in my recipes- at least a half to two 1/2 sticks of butter/ 3/4 cup oil.

20. #3500 puddleglum, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    If your daily dose is 1.4g, and you are making a tray of 16 brownies, then you can probably handle 1.4=16=22.4g of herb per tray of brownies. You only used 5.5g, so (assuming you cut the brownies into 4x4) you only used 0.34g per brownie.

0.34g is a pretty big dose for me (assuming it's kind bud and the recipe is properly prepared) but everybody's tolerance is different. If you have a strong tolerance than you might need to use 0.5g or more per edible. Some people I know eat 1.0g or even more!

You were right to start slow with a small dose. Many beginners eat too much their first time and have bad experiences. You successfully avoided that trap! Now, you get to experiment with larger and larger doses, until you find your "sweet spot." Maybe try eating 2 brownies (for a total of 0.68g) or even more next time? [​IMG]