Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. #1401 BadKittySmiles, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012

We take advantage of heat to vibrate our molecules and cause the formation of the coat and solution rather than a low-temp ultrasonic vibration method alone, because heat also encourages the melting and separation of cannabis glandular material, as well as continued activation and even the formation of more CBN for patients (and recreational users ;) ) seeking a narcotic, sedative experience :)

According to most patients who have had the opportunity to try both, heated methods seem to work better or more reliably for their oil applications (including myself, and a a handful of people I've spoken to who've tried both have enjoyed their results from an oven or double boiler best).

The reason jewelry cleansers are used for home-made lipsomal vitamin C, is because ascorbic acid is very sensitive to light, air and heat, where cannabis on the other hand continues to become more medicinal and active with heat. You also don't want to use much heat for cleaning certain metals, when cleansing jewelry, because it can potentially cause them to react, streak or otherwise degrade (it's suggested jewelry should also be stored away from heat and light... it's not like cannabis, which gets better during a heated process initially, then begins to fade :p ).

So in my opinions, for most medicinal use and virtually all recreational use, they're not really what you're looking for. :)

However!
    :eek:

The one thing they are, or can be useful for, is a decent heatless alcohol extraction!

Ultrasonic jewelry cleansers are useful for speeding up the bioavailability of a heatless 'inactive' extraction (ie. bioavailable but carboxyl-group intact cannabinoids, with wonderful medicinal value very similar to their 'active' counterparts, and little to no 'recreational' feelings or noticeable change in sensation or perception), particularly when alcohol is utilized, because unlike oils which can slow down when brought down to certain lower temperatures (which inhibits their ability to penetrate the glandular material and coat it), alcohol remains more functional at lower temps!

I bring this up (in spite of my own experience with them, I mean) because the one success story that I know of personally and can vouch for, that's in favor of using an UJC with cannabis in a home setting, is from a MS patient who wanted to dramatically increase his intake to reduce his tremors, without getting too 'buzzed'.

He could only take so much active, and heated oil before feeling too funny, but by the time he reached that point it was usually just enough to begin controlling his symptoms. He later found that he enjoyed cold tinctures because (like many patients, who choose to use cold extracts) he could increase his dosage by over 50%, enough to kill off his tremors, diminish and alleviate the mild paralysis in his lower body, making it more fleeting or gone entirely, and the nausea from his shots was easier to handle.... again, like most raw/cold tinctures, all without catching a buzz!
    I didn't get to work with him personally, although I gave him some tips at the time, but he was certain he was able to cut three or four weeks off his usual sit-time for a cold ('raw') extract with his jewelry cleanser, while achieving the same results, giving him a fully functional tincture in a matter of days or even hours varying with some batches * just like some heated oils seem to have a bit more 'pep' than others on day one or in their pure forms, while others seem best the next day or after being mixed further with an edible. :hello:

(* Usually due to terpene content if not to an environmental/processing anomaly... if you are making capsules, or something else you can't taste, or a recipe or drink that is complimentary, you can experiment with adding a hops or lemongrass extract just at the end primarily for the additional myrcene, limonene and a few other concentrated terpenes they share with cannabis ;)
    Cannabis shares several beneficial phytochemicals with hops and lemongrass, as well as a few other fruits and plants, many of these plant chemicals help to regulate the experience provided by cannabinoids, they have analgesic, euphoric, sedative, anti-cancer/anti-tumor/anti-inflammatory and other medicinal benefits all their own, they promote cell penetration for the surrounding chemicals delivered at the same time, and they increases the speed of chemical exchange between the blood-brain barrier! :cool:)

Whoops, Sorry for rambling on... :eek: it's probably a good thing I'm running behind and have to get on to an appointment in the kitchen!

Hope this helps! :wave:

2. #1402 ozarka, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
    Hey kitty, was hoping to bug you again with another question... I've been researching a bit and still trying to wrap my head around the process. [in your last advice]When you say to follow the timer in your tutorial I am confused on which portion of the tutorial you're referring to

Say someone wanted to make a coconut oil, they proceed to do a decarb after spreading the product thin, then is it simply mixing it into the coconut oil? Or should they following the canna oil tutorial you made where you do a oven/freezer process about 4 times?

Thanks in advance!!

3. It's the same glandular material, so it's the same process... if you think it's been decarbed during/after purging, then start as though you'd just decarbed your flowers/bud, and continue at virtually the very beginning of any of the oil tutorials, you'll follow the directions, just as described, while applying the advice from my last reply.
    If you don't know how it was made, or if you're not sure it has been decarbed, spread it thin in your dish (warm it, or the back of a spoon to help with spreading if you need to, or even redissolve in alcohol, evaporate, and allow it to create a thin layer on its own) and decarb.... in this case you're starting from the VERY beginning, and ALL steps are required for the best results. :smoke:

Just like I said before, it's not just a matter of stripping then dissolving glandular material to the naked eye, that happens relatively quick, even when still in the flowers (a matter of seconds, with alcohol)... if it was as simple as that, then edibles would be a heck of a lot easier to make with the very best efficiency, and we likely wouldn't have a single failed edible story. :p

Just in case you missed my last reply to you, where I'd explained the above....

Good luck! :wave:

4. I have recently been toying with glycerin extracts. I did a final filter step using an AeroPress coffee press. It uses a paper coffee filter. I have read other methods (QWISO) that capture trichomes on a paper coffee filter. My concern is that I am filtering out good stuff by filtering my glycerin mixture through a paper coffee filter. Is this a valid concern?

5. #1405 ozarka, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
    Man seriously cannot thank you enough... Last question I have is in regards to "periodically removing to agitate any remaining lumps" during the decarb process.

Would this be something I should be doing during those 40 minute bakes? [EDIT: Just realized that in theory all the lumps should be gone during the decarb process? - if so, then you can ignore the rest of my question] My hesitation comes from a comment I've read in one of your tutorials to always allow to cool before removing foil - so would I be stopping every 20 minutes or so, allowing to cool for 10 minutes, agitate the lumps, and then proceed as normal with the last 20 minutes?

6. #1406 Cookibis, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
    Quick question, i have tried to scan read your 56 page long thread and i thought i really should just ask.
    As i am aware THC has a boiling point of 157 C (315 F). So i am assuming during the butter prep this is a heat i stay away from (What i gather from your first posts) Does this also mean to maintain a high potency whilst cooking with the butter i shouldnt go above these temps?
    Thanks x

7. Oh and is Soya Bran the same as the Soya Lecithin? My health food store very recently changed to Bran.
    Thanks x :)

8. Umm.... :confused: I don't think you read my message past the point I first mention the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. :)

9. What else do you need to know? :) I just glanced over your post again now, and I'm pretty certain that I covered just about
    everything you asked, that I can anyhow, in terms of the cleanser itself. :)

To recap, I mentioned that many cannabis patients that I know of (including myself), and have heard of in passing from other
    patients and caregivers, who have tried them, disliked the effects and oils produced this way without allowing them
    to sit, and tended to prefer heated methods which also vibrate molecules in a similar fashion, causing a solution to form, apparently
    more reliably
    in this application. But the processing time could be so vastly different (by days, even) that it's hard to
    say why it didn't work well for us. The one patient that I know of personally, who enjoys the way the cleanser works, uses it
    for inactive extracts that he allows to process for up to a day at a time in his cleanser as far as I recall, in addition to a sitting period
    of several days, so I can't really safely call that conclusive, either.
    So I know of a handful of people who don't seem to enjoy its effects, and a single patient who uses it for cold applications.
    Without more information, from more patients, and without more than just a handful of hands-on experiences myself, I really don't
    feel comfortable giving much more of an opinion on it! :p

And again, the reason that folks use them for items like vitamin C and jewelry, instead of the (seemingly) more reliable/rapid
    action of heat, is because they are heat sensitive items that can be quickly and irreparably destroyed at the temps we use
    for cannabis, meaning that it's best for those items to only endure some initial heat which initiates/speeds the molecular
    vibration
    (or they use no heat at all, and a longer period of time). Without submitting to a little heating first, it takes ages
    to produce the same results even for applications those cleansers were actually meant for!
    Long story short, jewelry cleans much better and faster with the same solvents required for the ultrasonic cleansers, if
    they are instead just allowed to continue boiling rather than being put through the actual cleanser.... but it's not something
    you want to do often or repeatedly to certain 'bling'. :cool:

(I will also add that the ascorbic acid used for liposomally encapsulated vitamin C is not oil soluble like cannabis glandular
    material, and that lecithin itself has only a very small oil content, in other words there are both solution and chemical variables
    that may also cause it to behave differently or better than cannabis under similar conditions/exposure, which could
    contribute to its lack of success.
    That, or whatever the differences, perhaps we just needed to let it continue running for another two or three days, again I'm
    only so experienced with them myself! :p )

And if you meant the measurement focus, which I did overlook in my reply (assumed it was a suggestion, and I was
    in a bit of a rush :eek: ) a few of the reasons I provide most tutorials and recipes here in Tbsps and tsps, and cups, are because
    they are fairly universal and consistent enough for *most* recipes.
    But mainly I do so, because the majority of patients and recreational users, although they probably should, do not
    actually have kitchen or herb scales. :p

I also no longer provide ratios or weighted measurements for cannabis or hash to oil, because it is best if the individual and
    unique dose
    is left to the patient, if that's what you were referring to.

Suggested herb and hash to oil ratios are easy to come by, and as a result, I've seen far too many green-outs from lower
    tolerance users, and on the other side I've seen a few too many patients, who smoke four or more grams a day, who are
    unimpressed with the average 'suggested' dose.

I suppose a suggested dose is easier or more forgiving in terms of recreational use, where you can just give a set amount, and
    tell someone to scarf down extra brownies if they need to.... but not every patient can stomach that (even in capsule form
    with too much excess oil), nor can they all handle the impending results of an unintentional over-dose quite as easily as
    a recreational user.

I can't do everything for everyone in a single recipe, in terms of dosage, so I'd rather force :)p) the patients or users to think
    a little about their dose, and make a careful and educated measurement on their own. Being put in a position where you need
    to consider your daily intake and frequency, really helps to avoid improper dosing.

So in the end, I've settled on providing roughly the number of servings a recipe makes when needed and suggest using that
    number of patient-specific doses per batch, or I'll leave it at 'dose accordingly to your appetite', especially if it's a recipe that
    can allow for some creative liberties and ingredient measurements aren't important. :hello:

It's easy to fit the perfect number of doses in a dish, even with patients of varying requirements! It's as simple as using an oil
    that is concentrated enough, to contain at least the number of doses you, or your patient needs, in the amount of oil required
    by the recipe. And if needed (ie. when working with a concentrated oil, that contains more doses than needed for the recipe), you
    can compensate for the remainder by using an additional amount of whatever unadulterated oil that the recipe calls for. :)

However, I certainly don't dismiss the value and importance of weighted measurements when needed, and you will
    notice that in recipes where weight and volume sensitivity IS required, I actually DO take the time to provide weighted
    measurements as well!

For instance the Cordial recipe:

"You will need:

- A 'kitchen scale' [​IMG]

- Rounded object, to create the mold shapes. I use a large pestle.

- Kitchen colander or strainer, for sifting

- Plastic/silicone spatula scraper

- Candy thermometer

- Double Boiler setup, larger pot with a few inches of water, smaller pot floats inside...

- Two 9" x 9" or slightly larger casserole dishes, or larger baking pans lined with foil

- Flat chopping board, large enough to cover the casserole dish or pan

- Two 16oz boxes of corn starch
    (don't worry, these can be reused for cooking or candy making!)

- 30 strong, preferably 1ml doses, of Golden Dragon
    (ours was made using 190
    proof everclear, with a gram of very high quality 'Moonshine Haze' BHO/hash,
    shipped over by a friend I am VERY grateful to have in times of need!)

- 50 ml of your favorite liqour or liqueur... I've used a blend of Laphroaig Islay single
    malt scotch, J & B blended scotch, and Disaronno Amaretto.
    In the end, you will want a total of 90ml strong alcohol, so use however much
    Dragon you have, then make up for the remainder with your choice of liquor (I have
    got away with using above-12% beer successfully, in conjunction with Dragon! I
    also usually prefer to use only half a gram per 29 - 30ml alcohol, for two cordials
    plus more of an alcohol-vehicle, per dose, but these still came out QUITE strong).

- 220g Sugar

- 75g Water

- 4oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped into small chunks

Optional:

If you'd like them extra-glossy, like the Koppers, you will want to use a soft pastry
    brush and 'bakers glaze' aka shellac (yes, it comes from beetles, and yes, it is used
    on the Koppers cordial as well as many other store bought candies!) "

---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end, not all, but if you look at most 'layman' recipe books and online recipes, you'll find that the majority of the
    measurements for the recipes we've used here so far, are in cups, teaspoons and tablespoons, and many of the recipes I use
    are old family recipes provided in similar measurements, so most people and patients who want palatable meds who aren't fortunate enough to be professional chefs, are more familiar with these concepts than weighted measurements!

My primary focus for the most part, is the average patient who may or may not have many supplies, nor a caregiver to help
    them, especially where the number of caregivers is relatively small in comparison, and these are the people I work with on
    a daily basis.... but at the same time, someone with more experience should also very easily be able to make 'heads or tails'
    of a recipe measured in cups, teaspoons and Tbsps, and may even have a similar or family recipe of their own they'd rather like
    to follow! :)

And for any future recipes I share that require careful measuring, I'll be certain to continue providing the weighted measurements,
    just as I always have. :)

Hope this helps clear up the confusion, I'm sorry if I was a bit unclear/unspecific before! :wave:

10. Wow, major communication breakdown somewhere here. I think I probably typed too much as I tend to do, and you might have skimmed accordingly? :)

I didn't ask any questions at all and I only mentioned the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner in passing to get to my suggestion about the stick immersion blender and I guess sort of a question in that it seems it might be helpful for making oil encapsulate better as it was for the gentleman I mentioned who was using it with ascorbic acid as an *alternative* to the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

Anyway, no worries, I didn't have a question, was just trying to run by you a potentially useful piece of information that seemed to pass the smell test, thanks again for what you do.

Oh, about the measurements, it was specifically the ratio of lecithin which I couldn't seem to find anywhere until I found it in one of your later reply posts to someone who asked and you said something along the lines of so many teaspoons per tablespoon of oil as a guideline instead of giving weights. Also in some other places you give volumes instead of grams / ounces.

The reason I think this matters is because in my experience coming from bread formulas volumes of things can vary tremendously in how much is actually there, for example in your recipe if someone puts in a teaspoon of powdered lecithin and another person puts in a teaspoon of granulated lecithin that could easily be double or triple actual difference between the two.

That's why people often don't have very good luck making bread from recipes with cups and tablespoons and teaspoons but it's hard to fail when you have 100 grams of this or 3 ounces of that.

11. Hey kitty, I was wondering what the ideal capsules for your recipe would be? (Size and kind)

12. Size 00, gelatin capsule.

13. Thanks!!

14. #1414 Sciapodous, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    I tried decarbing my fresh bud/trim tonight in a pyrex dish sealed with tinfoil, but it felt like it just made it wetter, had it in for 40 mins (a break at 20 mins to check) and then put it uncovered for 15mins. Will this harm the potency? It dried enough to grind up, and I have it in the oven covered for 40 mins right now in Pure Coconut oil, going to freeze them overnight and do another 40 in the morning. How long should really fresh bud be decarbed for? Did I mess up my edible already by heating it for so long/uncovered? I've only tried edible twice with no luck, and no effect. Once with the butter water method, and the second using Paleo's method. Crossing my fingers.

15. Worked like a charm. I don't think I've ever been so overwhelmingly high. I passed out for like 13 hours and woke up this morning stoned. ..and here I thought edibles wouldn't work. Thanks!

16. I have 5 oz of trimmings almost a year old. I was wondering if I could turn it into ISO hash and use that for these recipes? If so, is there anything special I need to know? My father has COPD ( so he can't smoke, but he can use a vaporizer) and early onset of Alzheimer's, so he would rather have edibles to help with his medication and to take the edge off. And since he shouldn't eat glutton, the normal butter for cookies are not good for him, and monotonous. Any help/ advise would be awesome. Thank you

17. Maybe sift hash??

18. http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-49.html#post13446289

Here is a good link for alcohol extract...

Butter doesn't have gluten(?) but most use coconut oil instead. Both for health and effect.

19. Thanks for the link

20. Hey i just had a quick question. My question is that can you add the soy lecithin to the recipe at any time? i have already made my coconut oil infused with cannabis, so can i just add some soy lecithin to the finished product or do you need to add the soy lecithin while you are binding the cannabis to the coconut oil?