Anyone serious about starting a commune and living off the grid?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Marijuatheist, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Lawl, veggies, you guys are such an hypocrites.

Take this for a consideration.

You're crept along the plains, pulling out your gun, and set your aim true. bam, the deer goes down, dead. Deer is dead and has no feelings when they're being cut and preserve.

You're crept along the garden, pulling the tomatoes from a LIVE plant. The plant can feel each part that are being cut down. Plus, the tomato is still alive and you're biting it flesh. The tomato does feel the rip from your teeth, gnarling hard and strong. You're eating a living organism.

2. lol what, plants don't have feelings, and it regenerates whatever you ate

3. I can't be joining you guys but its what I will do when i'm older.

La Palma in the canary islands is pretty good, my granparents got a little house out there waiting for the collapse. There are a few familys out there who are self sufficient, but its still got community (like people who raise pigs or honey etc.. have a little market) there are touristic parts to the island aswell but hey its minimal if you find a good spot.

If you guys havent before I would consider somewhere in the Blue Mountains in Australia really nice with nature.
    Also in Australia there is a village which is like a pot village called nimbin, you can smell the grass from 10km away. When I went there it seemed really chilled out and forests all around(also up in mountains)

Hope I helped, I know its not much and Good Luck i'd love to know how this ends up :D

4. IT'S A LIVING PLANT. Of course, they do have feeling when being cut, bitten, and such. If they don't then.... whats the point of living?

5. #25 AHuman, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    The point of living is to reproduce. Feeling pain is a useful tool for things that move around because they can escape or move away from things that cause them pain. Feeling pain is not a useful tool for plants because they can't move away from pain or otherwise consciously resist pain in any way whatsoever. Plants have no 'reason' to feel pain, feeling pain would not help a plant to reproduce in any way whatsoever. Thus, perception of pain could not possibly evolve in plants.

6. Seriously, there's not even pain receptors or a brain to process pain in a plant, just cause it's living doesn't mean it feels things.

7. Okay.

I don't think you have feelings therefore I'm going eat you alive.

8. lol plants think they have consiousness any living thing does. im with grizmoblust on this one..

killing plants is the same as killing animals its just easier. youll never have to sneak up on a tomatoe.

9. Plants don't think whatsoever, they have no nervous system nor any equivalent of a nervous system - plants, besides having no biological capacity/machinery with which to think, have (once again) no evolutionary reason to think. A tree could sit there pondering deeply about metaphysics or quantam theory and would be no closer to reproducing than a totally unconscious tree. A tree could sit there thinking about ANYTHING and it wouldn't help it to reproduce in any way whatsoever - anyone who can tell me of a situation where thinking anything at all would help a tree to reproduce might sway me somewhat to their line of thinking, but until then the claim is entirely baseless so far as I'm concerned...

10. #30 Grizmoblust, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011

Colorado Aspen trees talk each other by roots. And the people found out that the aspen trees are actually all together as in one connection. They do speak, quit being a ignorant thinks that if a specie has no nervous system or thinking process automatic means it's a useless thing. If it can survive, then it is a LIVING species. Stop talking logic, k thanks.

Thats like saying, oh I don't think cells don't have thinking process or nervous system so I can kill it if I want to. Those cells are what keeps you alive. Derp a herp

11. i would do something, but only when your guy's community advances to the point where you have computers... because that's what i'm good at :wave:

12. #32 clos3tgrow3r, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
    very glad to have stumbled upon this :hello: best of luck im not apposed to making the switch but cannot at the moment.....

and what is this discussion about plants feeling pain and whatnot?? lol seriously? do the plant pain advocates (lol) realize that fruits such as tomatoes, zucchinis and all the others are created by the plant for the sole purpose of being picked off and eaten? :laughing:

13. lol seriously, it's how the plant pushes it's species on to another generation....some animal comes and mercilessly mauls it's fruits off it's body, and shits out the seeds somewhere else, and the plant reproduces....

14. This is very interesting and something I have thought about myself.

Meat would definately be on the menu for me. A forested area that is close to the ocean but also has access to fresh water lakes and rivers would be an ideal choice.

I have experience with surviving off the land, I can fish, build shelters and have other useful skills.

15. I'm down for this as long as there will be plenty of space to grow pot and a women for myself.

16. I have to believe 95% of people who respond would not be able to do so..

It is not as easy as it sounds friends:devious:

17. I'd be interested to hear more about it :)

18. yeah if someone else pays for my shelter, food, water, and drugs, I would work my ass to help around the community. that would be like utopia.

i'd also be paranoid about some jim jones shit goin down.

19. DONT DRINK THAT COOL AID!

But seriously i have been thinking about doing this but i dont have anybody to do it with. would also be cool to have horses aswell. good transport, better than walking. instead of filling it up with gas you fill it up with water and grass.

20. If we did it deep in the Canadian wilderness, the canoe would be a main mode of travel. But I'm sure most wouldn't want to deal with the winters. It wouldn't bother me though. As long as you got a shelter and a fire - your good to go. I Imagine most here will want the tropical island life.