4x4 tent, 1000w HPS w/cooltube, 4x DWC...first grow...White Widow and Deimos

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by iStoner, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Flushed them with the water/zyme mix, cleaned out the buckets real good and put them both in 1/2 strength with full strength zyme after washing the stones.

They're looking better already.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Day 14

After flushing and making sure pH was staying perfect, I woke up to find them looking worse than ever. Here's some good close-up root shots I hope will help someone help me diagnose the issue here.

I scrubbed the buckets really well and didn't use soap to clean them - just a little bleach and the WW one is now starting to get all sudsy.

For the record I'm using half-strength Canna Vega, full strength Cannazyme and Rhizotonic.

Attached Files:

3. Im puzzled bro. Both by the sudsy bubbles, and the worsening condition. My only guess is the problem was worse than origionally thought. I have never used the stuff. but i have heard alot that H2o2 is good for helping this situation. KNR117 has a good thread on fighting root rot. One last thing to consider is the amount of bubbles to the buckets. are they getting enough air? It should look like rapidly boiling water. What are the temps? under 78 should be fine. closer to 70 is best.

Hope all gets back on track.

4. I just put in about a half oz of H2O2 a few hours ago. We'll see how that goes.

Reservoir temp is about 74 in both. The A/C duct I have coming into the tent blows right onto the buckets; seems to keep them nice and cool.

Yeah, I'm pretty stumped here but I know I haven't give it much time yet. They may pick up steam in a day or two.

5. H2o2 seems to be helping. The roots are looking off-white as they should and the water isn't sudsy any more. Not seeing much leaf growth and they're both fairly droopy, but the roots seem to be growing.

They're on half-strength vega and full rhizo/zyme. When would I be safe to step them up to full?

6. What, other than the base nutes are you adding to the water??

When you flushed the netpots with the enzyme solution did you ph the flush solution to 5.8??

Do you have a little dropper than can measure 1/4 and 1/2 ML's??

I put 55 degree water in my buckets and they love it.

The warmer the water gets(as my res gets older), the funkier it gets in there.

I know what h202 does. It kills bacteria, good and bad. I have been growing in buckets for 5 years and have never used it...

Your problem was the FloraNova nutes...they create to many beneficial microbes and bacteria b/c of the organic nutes, combined with a unlimited amount of oxygen from the airstones. The overload of organisms produces even more heat and will rot roots in dwc buckets...

Now your problem is getting your young plants to adapt to the stress of the change...

If they still arent getting better, answer my questions and I will help you fix this.

7. just know that any organic matter you add to your dwc will color your water more/create a more unstable ph environment and attribute more waste to the res.

when i use nitrozyme. or organic cal mag i will run it for a couple of days with hygrozyme and i know that i am gonna have to keep extra close eye on ph.

dwc environment is most stable over time when all synthetics used...imho

if you want organic, grow really with any other method, but dwc is not the one....

8. As stated above, 1/2 strength Vega, full strength Rhizotonic and Cannazyme.

Yes I did

Yep I do

Interesting. Now 2 days after switching nutes they seem to be stabilizing. Even the pH has been sitting at a steady 5.8 since yesterday.

Seeing new leaf growth on the deimos for the first time in days, WW has new roots out the wazoo but still has bottom yellow leaves. From my understanding these won't get better; should I just pull them off?

9. Well done. Sounds like there picking up nice. As far as the ppm' go... just watch the plants and bump around 50-100ppm, and watch. When im doing something like this over a couple days i will speed things up a little by doing it twice a day... early and late. Leaving about 8-10 hours should be enough time to see if they are gong to burn. Watch the ppm's. If they start going up on there own... cut back 50 and leave it.

The yellowing leaf... I leave mine until it feels right to take it off... one of those judgment things. if you think the plants working too hard to keep it... take it.

Keep it going man.

10. keep the rhizo at a minimum remember they will multiply....

and i just asked about the dropper b/c with it you can be very exact to maintain a ph between 5.5-6.5. obviously 5.9 being optimal with most strains...

remember keep the organics, which includes the living organisms in rhizo and cannzyme, nitrozyme, molasses etc to a bare minimum...the more you use in dwc, the more your ph will swing.

11. Woke up to find the lights/fan/pump must have overloaded the breaker they were on and completely fried it. Have to have maintenance come by to replace the breaker completely for the walk-in closet. I've tried resetting it a dozen times, unplugging things, etc. just can't get it to come back on.

Not sure how long the lights were out but this is the first time that happened - not even sure why now versus other nights. Might have had the fan up higher than usual.

Anyway now tapped off the 20A line the washer uses so no worries. Learned my lesson the hard way.

WW is still rooting out like crazy, brilliant white roots. Pulled off some of the gunky brown stuff that was hanging on. Deimos seems to have had a little growth spurt overnight.

12. #33 iStoner, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    Day 17

Looking great today. The WW has almost completely cleared up of the yellowing/blotchiness. Been stepping up the nutes about 100 PPM per day with some success.

Little deimos is still chugging along slowly.

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

13. Week 7

Been a while since my last post, things are going well over here. The WW turned out to be a male, deimos is female and budding now.

I keep running into problems when I use the Rhizotonic; it makes the water sudsy and I end up with root rot until I throw some H2O2 in, which from my understanding nullifies the Zyme mix. I've stopped using the Rhizo all together and am doing fine other than some spots from what seem like a Mg deficiency possibly from the rot and related pH issue. Seems to be getting better every day.

I think I want to lollipop it but not sure how much I can trim off at once without stressing the plant out.

Attached Files:

14. I was thinking of individual buckets this time...will be watching..are you going to train?

15. No, I just gave it a good trimming over the past few days and don't think it needs training. Got plenty of room.

Attached Files:

16. Week 8

4 more weeks to go. I just ordered a bunch of nutes. This Canna stuff is expensive and it goes fast...but it works so well. Does anyone have any more affordable but equally effective nutrient line?

I haven't been using PK13 or Boost, but have some on the way. Will try to use them for the remainer of the grow.

Also just ordered a propagation chamber so I can start 4 new seeds, which I'm going to be keeping in the mother keeper. Thinking 2x Afghan Kush Special, Skywalker, and Pineapple Express and maybe substituting one of the Afghan Kush Specials for putting this Deimos back into veg after harvest. Opinions?

Here's some updated pics. These buds are going to be massive, aren't they?

Attached Files:

17. Day 29 of Flower

Just had to post some sexy new pics...

Attached Files:

18. Flowering Day 36

2 weeks left if all goes according to plans. Really slimmed the plant down and have it down to 5 big colas.

I got the PK and Boost nutes and have been using the Boost for the past 5 days.

Attached Files:

19. Week 10 Day 3

Still plugging away over here. Plant is starting to show its age I'd say. Heavy feeding per the Canna instructions included.

Attached Files: