A $1,000 Project. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CrippleKid, Jan 29, 2011.

1. #1 CrippleKid, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
    I have posted other threads but ended up deleting them, because I didn't think I had asked the right question to begin with. I'm going to be as clear as possible as I seriously need some help here.

I've decided I want to use soil for my first grow/setup, because I've heard that soil is much more forgiving than the other methods.
    I'd like your opinion on this too.

I am a 100% beginner on growing cannabis, so once I start I'll add pictures and need more advice as the process progresses.

What I need to know from you guys is what cabinet, grow tent, pc grow box, or other method of growing in a relatively small area would work best for me. Here's what I have my eyes on 4'x4'x6.5' MYLAR COATED grow tent. Just click on it to view it.
    A setup is what I need advice on the most.

Now I know some of y'all are going to say why not build your own grow box? Here's the answer to that question. I'm in a wheelchair with minimal hand strength, and I have nobody to help me construct a kick-ass grow box.

I need something big enough to let the plants grow to their full potential. I need more of an all in one system. I'd like for the plants to be able to go through the vegetative stage with one set of bulbs and then turn around change the bulbs and go through the flowering stage. I've been investigating auto flowering seeds as well, because they say they're good for beginners.
    If you think those are a good beginners way to start growing let me know.

I need help and ideas. Links to a good system is much needed. I have money, but since this is my beginners project to see if I have a green thumb I don't want to spend more than a grand on the setup. I plan on growing something like auto ak47, early girl, northern lights, ECT. My first grow will probably just be bagseed until I get used to it though. Please help me out!

2. in order to help you i would need to know "how" mobile you are and how much you
    can carry in one or both arms (im not making fun of you its so you can be as comfortable as you can be lifting lights mixing nutes/soil and etc etc). lemme know, ill work with you.

3. I myself can't really lift anything. That's why I have to either buy a grow box, tent, or a caninet. I am willing to pay for everything needed but I want to keep it under $1,000 since this is my first time.

I live with my grandparents and neither of them care if I grow my own weed. We even have a light room we call it where it's nothing but windows, and they said I could use it to do all of my indoor grows in.

Smoking mostly Indica helps me relax and helps with physical pain I have from my disorder. What did you think about that grow tent I had my eyes on?

Please reply back when you get the chance. I wish more folks would help me too, but getting serious replies on here isn't very easy lol!

4. #4 Dirtbud, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    That does not look like a bad setup for what you are trying to accomplish. I have never heard of the company so I cannot comment on the quality of their equipment or service but so long as they deliver on their ads, it would for sure grow some buds.

Really most of the just add seed and water combos are not the best game in town, but I understand why it makes sense for you. Here is a link that has most of what you have in that link already bundled but you would have to add some other things to it (that they sell still)

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Large-Soil-Grow-Kit.asp#

And many people can speak for the reputation of that company including me. If you spend a grand with them, they will give you a discount or toss in freebies, or maybe both (gotta ask). I got shirts, like 10 lighters, and about $60 off my last order with them when I called up and hit them up for a discount code (the code system does not work yet that is why you have to ask for discount on the phone).

5. #5 CrippleKid, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
    I talked to the guy on the phone about the tent I showed y'all, and from what I could tell he sounds legit. He also has a lot of youtube videos floating around too. Thanks for the link too Dirtbud.

On another note though I found this The Bloombox. <-- Click the link to view. It isn't soil based and it's way over $1,000.

The question is do you think that it's worth $3,600 + $100 for T5 lights added + $300 in shipping cost? It is an automatic all in one system. It has a place for the mother plant plus my clones even while I'm flowering.

Either way I'm going to stay under $1,000 for my very first setup. Do you think I could grow enough in the grow tents that Dirtbud and I linked too to ultimately buy the nice Bloombox or do you think The Bloombox is just not worth the price?

6. that bloom box looks way over priced:eek:

I'd stay with the tents. You'd grow more in the tent than that lil thing. Unless I'm missing something but that is like 1/10 the size of a tent looking from the pics.

7. If you can afford the experience, I think you are on the right track.

I bought a system for "proof of concept", that is, could I grow the stuff where I live?

I grew outdoors before and that is not possible now.

Once I got my chops, I developed my own system (which is still evolving).

The original system I bought went on Craig's list and was gone the next day!

Don't think the first thing you use is the only thing your gonna end up with.

One thing is to KEEP GOOD NOTES.

8. i agree.. it looks over priced.. you could buy another tent to veg/mother and have a perpetual grow that way.

but may be easier for you work with the bloombox as apposed to larger tents..

9. It may be overpriced because it looks pre assembled to me.

I'm not sure OP could assemble a grow tent, no offense.

10. Well perhaps his grandparents could help with that. what do you say OP? could your folks help assemble a tent? I'll warn you my xxl was like 60 lbs or something crazy like that (might have been 80). I know it took two ppl to get it off ups truck and to my door :D

11. With limited mobility it might be difficult to get into a tent to maintain your plants. The only suggestion I have is to use a shorter tent like this one

HTG Supply - Mother Keeper Complete Grow Tent System

And place the tent on a stand or table to allow you tend your plants.

I know florescent lights don't give the best results but if you were to mix 2 grow and 2 bloom bulbs in this fixture you would not need to change bulbs when you go into flower.

Using something like sunshine mix or other premix and just putting it in a pot would easier than mixing your own soil.

Using something like rootmaker pots might be easier for you to grip.

For nutrients compost tea that only needs to be mixed with water would be easier than mixing a 2 or 3 part formula.

Hope this is some helps, or gives you some ideas

12. That Tent you linked is pricey but it's also everythingyou need to start the only thing I didn't see was a ph meter but u can grab one for 30 bucks. You could grow a good amount of bud in here 4 feet is alot of space, bit like they said the only thIng I see is it may be hard to get to the stuff in the back of your tent. The way I look at it is you could grab that one and then whatever doesn't suit you after a grow or two u can uPgrade. Make sure you get some pictures on here of those ladies when u get em started I wanna see what u decide on growin man good luck.

13. that tent is a good start with a 400 watt.

but setting up the tent is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

if your grandparents are up for it its quite the challenge.

but once its up your good.

but you may need something even BIGGER.

so it may be worth it to not use a tent.

as a wheel chair isnt to accessible in the tent. but it would still work.

i have the 4.5x4.5x6.5 tent and it gets a little hot in there with a 1000Watt

But its a nice area to keep climate controlled.

In my opinion just block out the windows down there. and buy a 400Watt and a 6 inch fan 400+ cfm and a carbon filter and you will be perfect!

14. My grandmother and my Aunt that's my nurse 5 days a week will be able to setup the tent and water the plants as I specify. They know absolutely squat about taking care of these precious plants, but they can be my arms in this situation.

I'm new to the site, so what does OP mean exactly? lol!

You guys are the best at helping a newbie out.

I saw where pigpen03 said that he uses a 1,000 watt in his tent that's the size of the one I'm planning on ordering. I don't think the one I plan on ordering comes with a 1,000 watt though, so do you guys think that the 400 watt metal halide and the 400 watt HPS will work pretty good?

I actually just looked at the Mother Keeper Complete Grow Tent that mile recommended, and I think I like it a little better now for a beginners setup. Click on the name of it to check it out. I need some comparisons on the two now. I will for sure post photos of the plants once you guys help me make this difficult decision.

15. thats a GREAT veg tent.

but your plants will stretch like crazy when they want to flower.

your gonna need some height.

So i think it would be better to get a big tent or just hand some panda film and seal it up nicely.

16. Original Poster, as in the thread starter. :)

17. Thanks Dirtbud for the info. :)

I'm still looking for the best setup for me. Pigpen03 is saying I need more than 4ft in height which makes a lot of sense for the flowering stage. I'm just a little stressed out, because I can't figure out which one that would be best for me.

I need a place to put my mother plant too for cloning. I need something to give where I can start growing that way I can get me a good high dollar system. I've had a lot of good help this far. Try and keep the fresh new ideas rolling in guys.

18. #18 Tokinalex420, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  19. yeah 4ft or more is about right for flower,dpends ont he lights u use to.so i guess you aint gonna do the caabinent setup anmore? i pulled a couple oz's out of myn but yeah,if your wanting some real smoke a cabinent is not gonna cut it.you stressin the moms and shit to much,they dont need anything like flowering needs.i would throw it under some floro's in a small box somewhere and rock&roll lol.aslong as the box aint crazy hot or nothin itll do just fine.but shit dude if i had 1000 bucks i could turn a whole master room into a setup dqamn near.
    and for the lights,people are gonna start flamin me on this but i dont give a shit.look on ebay for growlights.400hps for 150bucks.i have had one of them for awhile and it works great.i was concerned about quality and what not but dude its alright.its not a 500doller setup but its still built well and is brighter then damned it.they come with cheaper bulbs but ull do fine with them.i would just replace it with a hortilux or sumthin later when it burns out if your that nervous with the quality of the bulb.
    but yeah people rag on ebay stuff dude but but for the price and what it does man,you cant go wrong.specially gettin started,itd do you perfect. :smoke:

20. Well, if you have assistants they can hang panda film and tape it overlapping to make a much less expensive tent which can be floor to ceiling in a corner of the room. I would avoid the products in the link above, they are very high maintenance because of salt buildup and ph problems necessitating occasional flushes and they are not organic and you have enough health problems without adding heavy metals or harsh chemicals. Therefore I recommend Sannies Buffertabs, which you can use to make a just add water system(tap is fine distilled a step up in terms of quality end product). Growing with autopots would even remove most of the work of adding water too! Grow in superroots airpots (find the size that would fit in the autopot) as well because root pruning pots remove the possibility of overwatering and rootbinding the plants, you wont have to ever lift to transplant basically.:hello: I really hope you feel better. Sativas are more indicated for pain relief, and indicas for muscle tension and insomnia so keep two mothers or a hybrid that could display both traits take a look at barneys farm red dragon. Start your garden with mdanzigs sour 60 so you can get some meds as soon as cannabis genetics allow too. you can also customize the effects of your meds with the harvest time so read up on trichrome color.

jah bless
    longo