How to add humidity to a small grow?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dude3.0, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Is there a simple way to add humidity to a small grow, say between 6-8 cubic feet? In the winter, the air can get insanely dry - a slow as 25%. Any simple DIY ways to add in some humidity?

2. Might try having your fan blow on a Bowl of water

3. I live in Denver and looking for the same thing... My tent measures 2' x 2' x 5' and I'm averaging low 20% humidity.

I thought about making a small container that has an airstone in the bottom. Does anyone know if that would bubble enough to raise the humidity in the tent?

4. #4 RO76, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  5. I tried the airstones in the bottom of two containers filled with water for 24 hours and I wasn't able to get the humidity to raise at all! So I went out today and bought a Holmes cool mist humidifier. I'll keep you posted!

6. Humidifier has been running for over 24 hours now and the highest I raised it to is 31%... Tonight its back down to 25%! :confused: Its the same ambient relative humidity average in Southern California, what are you guys doing?

7. How big is your grow area? May be you need a bigger humidifier, to compensate for ventilation(witch removes humid air from your grow area)

8. My tent is 2'x2'x5' in a room thats 6' x 8'. The humidifier I got was for medium sized rooms. I'm taking it back and going to get one thats for up to 1700sf... hopefully that can keep up! :devious:

9. Try this: Get a small 2X2 tray and 2x1 heated mat(for germination) ,put that mat on the floor of your grow tent ,then put that tray on the top of that mat and fill with water barely covering the bottom of your tray.Water in the tray will get warmer and start evaporating creating higher humidity. You can put your grow container directly in to that tray or you can build a shelf...
    I am not 100% sure if it will work,but germination tray 2'x1'x7" is getting extremely humid with in fiew min when that heating mat is on...
    P.S.Heating mat:[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Growers-Supply-Company-GSHM-Seedling/dp/B002LVU4Y8/ref=sr_1_3?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1296264039&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Growers Supply Company GSHM 9-by-19-1/2-Inch Small Seedling Heat Mat: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]
    That one is overpriced, you can find one for $20 or so...

10. ran into the same problem as you guys did as i live in the Great Basin and my current humidity is down to 23% gonna try the heating mat and pan of water trick...will report back w/ results!

good luck to everyone!