Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Crock Pot cannabutter for dummies

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ero, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Nice guide. Have had mine cooking for 16 hours now and im gonna strain it soon I think. Will post an update of how it turned out. Thanks

2. Thanks for the recipe. I've got a crockpot going as we speak and hope to open it tomorrow night.

3. so if I'm using this recipe which requires stirring, do I let it completely cool down like 3-4 times in order to stir? or can i just wait until the very end and just stir then once cool?

thanks.

4. No problem, let me know how it came out!

5. I stir mine once in a while. I don't let it cool down first, I just stir it.

6. I'm going to use this method with 1.5 lbs of butter with about 28-32 of dank and like 8-10g abv. if I make two batches of brownies and a batch cannadoodles from fumar verde how dank would each batch of brownies be...like 15 brownies. i did the math and its about about .65 grams per brownie. think that's good? I mad like .8 into firecrackers and was so fucking high that I passed out at like 2am after I ate them at 930.

7. I've got 1.25 ozs in a crock pot right now. I'm only going to leave it on for like 8 hours though, because I'm NOT leaving it on and going to sleep. I'd rather throw it in the fridge right before I go to pass out tonight that way I can bake with it tomorrow morning.

8. #48 thatoneguy5349, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    I think I may leave it on all night. It kind of looks like it may be done, however.

9. Did it, came out great. Not sure on the potency yet as I made cookies and brownies, and rice krispies are tomorrow!

10. cool tell us how it is

11. One oz of bud, four lbs of butter all in the crock pot at this point. This time tomorrow i'll be straining. Hope it works out and thanks for the recipe! I'll let everyone know how this bulk batch turns out. I'm thinking a whole lot of cookies.

12. Sounds great! Let us know how it goes.
    E

13. This is the same method I use, and it works great.

I used to argue with my friends and I didn't think the water was necessary, but it helps improve the flavor of the butter by removing a lot of nasty plant gunk without taking many cannabinoids with it.

14. I agree. I tried it without water before, and it's not nearly as good. The water is a great catalyst for removing the THC and CBD's from the plant matter. Then it binds with the butter and you're off and running!

That being said, in a 6 quart crock pot I can fit an O of plant matter, 4lbs of butter, and about 3 quarts of water. It seems to get the job done every time!

15. Removing trichomes doesn't matter, if you've drastically reduced the efficiency and ability to promote bioavailability in your solvent (oil). Meaning, you're hindering the solvents ability to pull the potent cannabinoids from within the trichomes, out, regardless whether or not you shake them lose.

Ice water helps to remove stubborn glands, but hot water causes whatever glands that weren't already very-ready to fall off, to adhere, and when water is involved it takes much, much more time to promote bioavailability, just like the common 'water butters' of the 70's where a gentle heat was generally applied for up to 24 hours. The idea that hot water somehow helps to 'shake lose glands', is simply an old wives tale. Before the internet all we had to rely on was hearsay, and the equivalent of 'urban legend/myth' oil creation, and rumors of what helped, and what didn't, ran rampant.
    When water is involved, it takes so much longer for that potent material inside, to come out and break down, that you wind up degrading potency, before achieving as much bioavailability as you otherwise would have. Water-butters, over the years, have promoted this idea or rumor that you need "more material than you'd normally smoke" to achieve a decent effect, when edible cannabis can in fact be much more powerful than the same amount, smoked.

Let's keep in mind that when making oil, we are not specifically trying to remove the trichome stalks and 'cuticle' husks, which are actually inert, and impotent. But rather, we're trying to cause the potent glandular material within, to infuse with the oil. This is something often looked over, or not fully understood, by people attempting to make oil. If you want to shake your trichomes lose and prevent inert plant matter from contaminating your oil, why not make either ice or dry-sift hash, first. :)

The reason water was originally included, was as a (somewhat, failed) attempt at controling temperatures, while cooking over an intense heat source, when in fact the material still comes into direct contact with the heat source from below (or in the case of a crock pot, from the sides), through the pot/pan. When not using a temp-controlled oven, double boilers are a much more intelligent choice, where they allow you to keep your solvent undiluted and pure, and provide an actual buffer between the heat source, and your precious cannabinoids.

This is why not only butter alone, but clarified butter (where both the water content and milk solids have been removed) is recommended by the experts.

It is a much more efficient solvent for cannabis glandular material, and, unlike un-clarified butter which still contains a fair amount of water, it will not pull in the chlorophyll, plant wax and all that inert, yucky-tasting plant matter.
    If you still get inert, 'green' flavored oil, you did not decarb properly. Once all water is removed, from both your solvent and your plant matter, you're left with a very clean, black-amber oil, rather than the weak, pale, green-yellow oils that are created when water is included.

You would have much more success, and much less flavor than even those 'divided water-butters' by using clarified butter, and fully, properly decarbed material.

Hope this helps clear things up. :)

16. Got 3lbs of butter and 3.2 oz starting to brew as I type! I have used this method before and I am sure there are better methods but this is easy and for real gets you baked.:smoking:

17. if i plug in a crock pot in my backyard do you think the smell woujld go into myhouse?

18. just finished my 3rd time at this crock .. My verison
    8 cups of water
    6 sticks of butter( 1 lb and 1/2)
    7 ounces of shake
    cooked 190 to 225 for 10 hrs
    just seprated .. And in ref to cool...
    Will see if this batch workout

19. What about rinsing the mash with boiling hot water to rinse off all the butter, would that help? Seems like a waste of 2 oz of preciousness that would be good in a short-bread recipe at this time of year. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Why does this kid only have one green bar of rep?

+rep