Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Crock Pot cannabutter for dummies

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ero, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I always look at it like this; 1 ounce of trim and/or bud to 1 pound of butter. So 1/2 ounce would make a 1/2 pound, and I guess a 1/4 of bud would be 1 stick of butter.

2. I've got 1oz of so so bud, 1lb butter, just over 2 cups water going in the crock pot on low, since 10pm last night.

I'm going to leave it on until probably 8 or 9pm tonight and then follow the steps to separate the water until tomorrow morning.

I ground it up to almost powder though, more than in the og posters pics for sure, so not sure how well I will be able to strain it with cheese cloth, anybody have any thoughts to strain better? I'm thinking whatever makes it through a strainer and double layered cheesecloth should be fine to go in the butter, if it's ground that fine....

Nice tutorial, can't wait to see how it turns out, thanks!

3. I used a reusable coffee filter.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. I was thinking about that but only had the one I make coffee with and didn't want to wreck it.

Ended up going with a few layers of cheese cloth in a strainer and it seemed to work fine.

separated the water today and ended up with 2 cups of butter. I threw in probably just under a quarter of a pound of butter for the last couple hours of crock potting to get a bit more out of it.

Now I have enough for 2 batches of cookies, I'm going to make 1 shortly to see how it turned out.

5. Ate a cookie yesterday, started feeling it at 30 min, by 2 hrs I was stoned and couldn't get off my couch. 5 hrs in I wasn't as stoned any more.

Not sure if it was as long lasting and body high as stuff I've eaten in the past, but I was definitely ripped for a good few hours. Will have to do more research into the matter.

6. Nice read, defiantly going to get around to trying it out.

7. Like I said before, it really varies a lot by how strong your starting bud / trim is. You have to experiment a bit to get it right for you.

Another variable is how you use the butter. I guarantee you will have a different high if you cook it into cookies or brownies than if you use it to fry an egg. Protien and carbs seem to interact quite differently with cannabutter.

It's just hard to go wrong. Be careful when sampling a new batch. If you make cookies or brownies, maybe start with 1/2 of a cookie or brownie and see how it goes. It's way, way different than smoking, because once you eat it, you're going for the ride if you like it or not.

One last thing... the effect will also be quite different if you ingest before or after a meal. In my experience, if I eat a cookie on an empty stomach rather than after a meal, I'll get WAY more out of it. Maybe that's common sense, but I thought I'd mention it.

Keep crock-potting!
    E

8. nice guide man, definantly will be trying out soon :) rep+

9. How many doses per stick of butter? :eek:

For Example how many cookies can you bake with a stick of butter and how many cookies eaten to get blitzed? :eek:

Also How many pieces of buttered toast can I make with one stick of butter and how many pieces of them would I have to eat to get well baked? :eek:

10. question for anyone who has tried this crock pot method... how strong is the smell while this is cooking off? does it stink up the whole neighborhood? :eek:

i've read about a microwave method as well...

11. Yeah stinks bad...Dunno any method to do the butter with out it stinking....

12. the smell when heating is the only reason i've not tried to make cannabutter...living in an apt. the smell would go through the vents to other units as well as creep outside through door/window/vents, cracks, etc...:(

thanks for the response.

13. Oh I thought you were worried cuz most people don't want to cook the butter at their parents house...That would be no good. But I think your fine in your own apt...Cook something else same time to cover smell...

I used to live in midwest yo and I would always have a piece of toast waiting in toaster and if anyone comes to door just burn a piece of toast and it will cover up ur bud smoke and everything...

14. 2 Green Thumbs Up Man!! I was searching for a good crock pot recipe and came across yours. Got 1 1/2 lbs of butter and 1 1/4 oz. of powdered bud going right now!! Going to be some rockin mj enhanced dining experiences.:D +rep

15. You only achieve an odor if something is wrong with your processing methods. So long as you seal your container properly during your heat processing, and control your temperatures, you should have no odor or cannabinoid vapor escaping... if you do, not only is it a security risk for most people, but you can be almost certain that you're losing some potency through either cannabinoid damage, or vapor escape.

You're trying to gradually encourage your glandular material to break down into a gooey, smaller-particulate 'liquid' form, while in a contained environment. The process not only does not have to produce an odor, but it's a sign that you're doing it correctly, when you can't smell a thing. :)

16. Unless you use a pressure cooker to extract the cannabanoids into butter, oil, etc., you are going to have some odor. There's just no way around it unless you're working in a sealed environment. That being said, the odor I usually get from the crock pot doesn't smell too much like weed. It smells more like... well... some oddball dish cooked in a crockpot that you can't quite make out. Greens maybe?
    All the best!
    E

17. this is try number 3 for making cannabudder. first time i used stovetop/double boiler. Second time i used the method described here to the T. This last time, i combined the 2 as im not so good at handling the materials in their hot/greasy state and because i had a problem with my batch cooking/burning to the sides of the crockpot last time. I'd blame this on my new style crockpot has thinner walls and a deeep wide bowl, allowing for more heat around the edges. i set a small ceramic bowl inside the crock pot and filled crock pot with water to within half an inch of the top of the ceramic bowl, enough so the simmering water cannot spill into the budder. Melt the butter in the ceramic bowl and add your greens. from here in i do everything the same. my smaller containers i pour the finished budder into for storage are ice cube trays. i measure 2Tbsp of water and see how high that fills 1 cube. then that is my line i fill all the others to for approximatly 2 Tbsp, freeze them, pop them out into a freezer bag then they are super easy to use for even everyday cooking. ie. "id like some brownies... but i'd LOVE some magic brownies!!! lol

And yeah, the smell was way less this year with this method especially since i never had to check on it, i stirred only once or twice the whole time. I would use a pressure cooker if my wife wouldn't kill me for that

18. Nice recipe, I'm going to try out some cannabutter with my vaped weed eventually. Will this recipe ruin my crock pot afterward/leave it reeking of weed, or will a simply scrub leave it good as new?

19. no way, crock pots have non-porous ceramic bowls. cannabudder is not meth, it will never damage anything other than your will to get off the couch. i would not use the vaped weed tho, not unless my vaporizor was inefficient, i dunno tho

20. #40 BadKittySmiles, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    I cook with hash and herb on a daily basis.. I'm also selling my house, and have realtors and potential buyers here on an almost daily basis (about 4-5 days a week), while I'm cooking. This has been going on for about... 9 months now? During that time I've had two local officers of the law, interested in buying my house, who have come over to do viewings. I was cooking while they were here, and on both visits I had no idea who they were employed by, until they were just about leaving. They viewed my grow room too, and were within about 2 inches of some 6ft tall ladies, in full-bloom ;)

Contrary to popular belief, odor is not necessary, with what we do. It's all a part of the lifestyle, and being safe and smart, is a big part of that. They're going to smell me smoking, long before they smell everything else I get up to! But there are ways of getting around that, as well.

If you can smell the oil while it's heat processing, you're doing something wrong :D Unless odor-security, and cannabinoid conservation isn't important to you of course. It's absolutely possible to seal your containers well enough during processing, to prevent the release of odor. If it manages to escape anyway then your temps climbed too high, vaporized some material, and burst your seal with a small explosion of odor, which is something you shouldn't have allowed to happen in the first place :) And you should always allow your material to cool fully before opening and stirring, to allow any possible vapor (and odor) the chance to settle down, back into the liquid. Odor consists of minuscule particulates of the item you're smelling, it rises while hot, and settles while cool. When it is cool and the heat is off, you can open the cover entirely and it releases only minimal, localized odor. So again, even with the tools available in the average home, when done properly, you will have zero odor during heat-processing.

Once the heating and cooling is fully complete, you will achieve an incredibly faint, localized (meaning it doesn't leave the immediate area) and brief odor, only during the straining process; an act for which you will need privacy from anyone suspicious, anyhow. I certainly don't go on to strain my herb in front of potential house-buyers :)
    And even that can be avoided by grinding and mincing the herb fine enough to start with, that you can incorporate it into your recipe without straining, or by making and using hash, instead of herb. Then it goes right into the fridge or freezer, with the cover still on. When it's near-solid from refrigeration, the oil will contain the odor better than ever, the perfect time to begin cooking with it.

So no, there is no reason to stink up your house, or the halls of your apartment complex :)

The only (and mild) odors you should have are: during straining, and a mild odor (mixed with the scent of your food/edible, of choice) when incorporating the resulting oil into a meal or snack.

And with a cold recipe, such as the below, even that isn't necessary;

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.html#post9431870

[​IMG]