Which activated carbon is best?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dimyself, Jan 21, 2011.

1. there was a post... ill have to find it for you... the guy said to only use activated carbon that is used to clean air... its different than carbon for fish tanks...

one sec

2. Thx for the response! All the links I posted are for air (at least that wht they claim). I just don't know which size/type out if those are more effective

3. then i would wait for jamesreed to post up if its a solid purchase...

he knows his stuff on carbon and venting... worth the wait

4. ok thanks... i assume they're about the same except for size maybe, but i'll wait for confirmation before ordering

5. anybody? is the coco carbon in that link just as good as the stuff on ebay? if so, i'll just go buy that since its local and the same price. please let me know. my searches aren't turning up much on which carbon is best...

i know it needs to be AIR but i think all the ones i posted are for AIR. i just need to know out of the ones posted which is best.

6. Funny to see some people who spent time and money building their own carbon filters complaining that those filters are not that good...And they end up buying carbon filters...I do not get it why would "save"(ending up spending more money later on) on security...?

7. What does that have to do with? All i'm asking about is which carbon is best out of the ones I posted so I know which to buy.

Also I don't understand why you seem to think ALL/most diy CF's will fail? I have seen several examples on here of diy cf's that completely clear smell (supposedly anyway) ... Do you know of some that are better than others? Besides... even if you do go buy a "branded" CF, you still have to eventually replace carbon. So do YOU go buy a new filter or just replace carbon?

WHich leads me back to original question of WHICH carbon's I posted on the links above is best for air purifying? :)

8. of the first three you posted... the last one is the best.. uniform size and shape... easy to contain...

the posted i quoted is by far the best of the choices you have found...

as explained in the previous thread i suggested you read... all carbon used for scrubbing air, the best choice is always the smallest granule you can contain and still allow air to pass threw.. there for it is better to have uniform carbon or the smallest possible....

this is why im gonna choose the last link you provided/the one quoted... its listed as being a very good air cleaning product and does not say used to clean water anywhere...and it looks uniform and very small

sorry this post took so long... i finally sat down and read threw the links and looked at the pictures provided by each website...

you cant go wrong with the coco... best bet

9. Awesome thank you for the response Tihspeed!! I couldn't really find much on which carbon would be best (other than air). I did read that post btw... but still couldn't tell which would be best out of the links since all of them seemed small and for air.

I thought the one posted on the last link (the coco) would be good since it's at a hydro shop, BUT I have read posts on here saying it isn't as good as just air carbon. But if it is...then it is! :) i'll go pick some of that up then since it's same price as online...

thanks!

10. #14 RO76, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
    In about 1918 it was found that charcoals made from the shells and seeds of various fruits and nuts such as coconuts, chestnuts, horse-chestnuts, and peach stones performed much better than wood charcoal. (INFO FROM WIKIPEDIA )

11. I dug up the post I found that said coco carbon isn't as good... here's what he said.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...users-come-inside-only-please.html#post929422

I'll probably just get the coco ones though since they're local... I just saw the conflicting posts saying 2 different things so thought I'd post to see...

12. well.. look at it this way...

even if you were to build your filter twice... its still cheaper than purchasing a filter

so make your filter so you can refill it... problem solved