AK-48 from Nirvana

Discussion in 'Smoke Reports' started by pitbull420, Jan 14, 2011.

1. #21 TBM, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
    I believe the high that the OP described is from a premature plant. Airy buds, 30 minute head rush high? Sounds like all THC and no CBD, CBN, etc. The airyness was most likely from the calyxes not swelling properly due to early harvest.

I have some AK-48 at almost a full 9 weeks flowering and they aren't ready yet. I'm guessing 10-12 week strain. Not 60 days. Most upper buds on my only pheno I'm growing so far are like golf balls and the main colas are bigger than that, and just keep growing. I squeeze it and it is just rock hard. I was desperate for smoke so I cut a plant down at 9 weeks and yes, it was airy, but that was because it was a few weeks premature. Don't always believe the labels on flower time, its 99% of the time going to take longer than they recommend. Maybe one pheno finishes early, but I like the buds on this one I have.

Topping this plant might be good before flower. Each main branch gets a pretty weighty cola on this pheno anyway. This one also stretches about 300%. I flower at 6 inches from clone, they get 18-24" at end of stretch. Maybe the OP had a crappy pheno. I have the rest of my beans germinating, maybe I will see this airy pheno, but the one I am currently growing is def. not airy.

2. My AK pheno is at 9 weeks and looks like it could go another 1-2 weeks. So they are a little loose with their flower times at Nirvana. Its more like 8-9 weeks, plus a couple.

3. [​IMG]

day 36 of 12/12

4. I harvested mine a little less than a month ago, it's in the third week of curing and I've smoked some this weekend. It was fire!!!! I've harvested when the trichs were milky for the more heady high that I admire the most. It turned out this way too, great head high for at least first hour, I couldn't shut the hell up and I was loaded with a lot of energy, after an hour I could feel the body buzz for sure. Good smoke.

5. Nice! I'm also growing Ak48s! Right now they're 8 weeks flowering.. They dont look ready yet. For how long did you flower yours and what lights were u using? I only got a 250w hps.

6. 400W. I pulled the plug 3 days before the end of week 9. Keep monitoring the trichs as it'll be ready anytime now.

7. #27 greenops, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    the stronger the light the faster they finish right?
    do u remember when the leaves started to turn yellow? i dont have yellow leaves yet, which from my understanding should indicate that the plants are maturing.

8. Well, I've stopped feeding them nutrients a little over two weeks before the harvest. The yellowing of the leafs indicates that the plants are running out of the nutes that were left over in the soil from the previous feedings. You can't make a decision whether it's ready or not based on the color of the leafs or color of the pistils. Get yourself a little microscope from RadioShack for $12 and monitor the trichomes.

9. Well we're all intitled to out own opinions and yes I have to admit at the time I posted this reveiw my setup was some what mediocore.. Thats why like I said in my second post on this review that "I had my cousin do a run in his grow room with one of these girls.. He's running 3 1000 watt hps lamps in his flowering room and we still got close to the same results although his yield was significantly better the buds were still lacking in density.." I have also since run this strain in my new setup with alot better yield 2.5oz's but still the same airy buds.. Although I don't doubt Ak-48 has the potential to be a big yielder (as I seen from my cousins grow).. I do however disagree with those who claim she throws dense and extremly potent buds with a long lasting high.. I have grown this plant several different times and have come across a couple different phenos and although some phenos my yield a lil better and offer a lil more potency I still stick by my original smoke report.. Ak-48 is a great plant to grow very easy and very forgiving should u make a mistake especially for the price.. However I personally perfer something with a lil more of a kick, sweeter/flavorful taste and denser nuggs like BlackJack, SnowWhite, Bubblicious, KushBerry, OG Kush, or Sour Kush.. I've grown althese myself with the exception of Og and Sour Kush (grown by my cousin) and honestly anyone of these girls kicks Ak-48's ass in potency, smell, taste, density and overall quality IMO.. I do however thank you for your opinion and am glad you were able to enjoy your girls.. After all thats all that counts right??

I never go by the manufactures flowering time.. I always check the trichomes to determine harvest times.. Although I do have to say I've never had to go past 65 days to acheive peak potency(mostly cloudy with about 25 to 30% amber) I do however agree that this strain does do very well when topped a couple times in veg and responds very well to supercropping both in veg and in early flowering..

10. #30 pitbull420, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011

I guess I'm not alone in my opinion of this strain... I've also gotten a few pm's from people that had similar experiences with this strain.. I can only speak from my own personal experiences and from this I've come to the conclusion that Ak-48 although a good yielder is a mid grade smoke at best JMO.. If you don't agree thats your opinion and your intitled to it but as far as me fucking up as I believe skexter put it I really don't think so lol.. I my not be a pro but I'm no where near a rookie either (with indoor growing atleast lol)... Don't just take my word for it try growing Ak-48 next to some other Nirvana strains like BlackJack, Bubblicious, SnowWhite or Blue Mystic (BM's a great tasting and yielding strain) and judge them for yourself.. Nirvana does have some pretty potent strains IMO but Ak-48 just isn't one..

11. [​IMG]
    Ak-48 under the old 400 watt setup 1.5 oz's dry

[​IMG]

Ak-48 grown under the new 600 watt Scrog setup 2.5 oz's dry

12. 67 days flowering and still not done :(

Attached Files:

13. Man mine never went over 65 days.. She's around 72 days today then right?? have you Harvested her yet??

14. Dankidkity dankath dankeidy dank

15. Yea your exactly right. I chopped them last friday, after 72 days flowering.
    I kept them longer cuz i waited for them to pack more weight and that extra week did it.
    And some say the flavor improves when flowering time is increased.

Now after 2 days hanging in a dark cabinet, normal temp and 50%RH, they've lost their smell..... I hope the aroma comes out after a good cure!

Any tips?

16. Looks like you done a hell of a job especially for your first grow!! Now just make sure u allow them to dry for at least 5 to 7 days or until the stems snap instead of bend before u throw them into cure.. The smell will return after a nice long cure..

17. Thanks man!

18. #38 colafarmer, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
    Just finished Ak48 from female seeds.nl and have been curing just over a week now....I pulled 9oz dry weight from two plants.
    Harvested at day 49 flowering with a month of veg. 80% cloudy trics with a spot or two of amber trics.

A decent plant with airy lower buds not getting enough light....Colas and upper buds are dense but, not rock hard.
    The best trait of this plant is it's ease of growing and requires little fertilization throughout the grow.
    Best suitable for a SCROG grow with a simple topping as their are numerous branches that produce cola type branches..

Best tasting pot will come from a soil or, organic grow.

I give a 5 on a scale of 1-10 for smoking....Produces a light cerebrial high with a great relaxing body stone that lasts about three hours.

This pot was grown in a hempy bucket and has a slight hydro taste. Best smoked using small hits at first to get the best taste without coughing. After three or four small hits the pot mellows out some and bigger hits are taken better....Taste is a little like black liquores.....

You can see the results by clicking the link in my sig....
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...nspired-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy-h2.jpg
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...d-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy-p8130063.jpg
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...nspired-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy-h8.jpg
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...nspired-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy-h7.jpg
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...nspired-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy-h6.jpg

19. Nice grow. Pretty interesting to see others experiences with the same strain.

20. Hey, that is a beefy ass nug behind that tied down plant man congrats.