**No time for a Journal? Update here.. Any skill level welcome**

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by samson32, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438245102.388663.jpg orange bud
    Week 1 of flowering

2. look at this monstrosity

Attached Files:

3. #11963 Megadeth420, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
    Whats up guys alots happened since i last posted about my plants, one of them was a male so i got rid of it but the other one is doing awesome. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438281773.423529.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438282015.755088.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438281863.618185.jpg

I should have topped it lol

Attached Files:

4. 6 days in 1 of my 4 clones has roots. Not to bad for first attempt gona let the other 3 go for another week to see what happens great how to on here on building a cloner

Attached Files:

5. starting to harvest what do you think

Attached Files:

6. Looks early is my thought.. All that time and effort Wasted with a early harvest, it's a shame, sorry to be so blunt..

7. #11967 hitman7171, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
    good call I've got a few going and its my first time so I wanted to see what's its like I couldn't wait

Attached Files:

8. heres what I've got early and the only reson I took this one early is to try it plus I have to rotate some running out of room

Attached Files:

9. 20150731_175415.jpg

sir just want to share my first grow, its been flowering for 2weeks, is the growth slow or delayed? Flowering under 100w cfl on my cabinet. Any comments suggestions tips and tricks will help a lot, thanks. 😀

Another question is for the lights, what will happen if i dont add more lights, will the tops have more thick buds than the buds below not having as much light as the tops?

10. At week 2 of flowering, pistils will begin to grow, and sometimes trichomes will begin to appear. If you google 'Week _ of flowering', you'll get pretty accurate pictures, however plants can finish in 7 weeks or 14, depending on the strain.

It's always good to add more light, 100w is barely enough to get by. I recommend adding at least another 50w. To answer your question.. lower buds will stretch looking for light, when a branch stretches the spaces between the internodes (where buds grow) increases, this doesn't allow the buds to grow dense, and poses drying/curing problems down the road along with obvious loss of yield.

11. That's a beautiful gurl, kinglebron, especially for a CFL grow. Nice vegetative growth, healthy. But I don't see that much bloom activity so I'd say it IS delayed. Totally agree with BYO, you can ALWAYS stand to add more light when growing CFL. Personally, I'd go apeshit crazy and add four more 23W warm white CFL's one toward each cormer, and leave the 100 in the middle. 23W CFL's are cheap, too, a 4-pack should be around $10 give-or-take.
    And another thing that's going to help you tremendously will be if you start LST training the girl to open her up and generate more side growth from the branches. AND it should help you get all of your lights closer to the top canopy which will help the density of your buds.
    Over the past week I've been helping out a new member with his first grow, auto's in a tent under LED's. He needed the same thing, LST, so I posted some entries for him describing the LST process, along with several pic's in case my description was not clear. Take a look at this thread & it should have helpful info:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1375...
    You might need to back up in his thread a little to get the full description, but that link will get you close.

Hope this helps, Welcome to Grass City & bestaluck to ya.

12. #11972 Olde School, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    Hello Boyz 'n Gurls, long time grower, been on here a few years, believe in the power of the grow. Lots of good ideas to start a thread - RDWC Bonsai Mothers, 2X2 Party tent which would be excellent for most beginners, tons of other ideas. I start gathering the pic's, organizing my thoughts, and then the real job gets in the way and sucks up my time for weeks at a time. And the thread never gets started [​IMG] Then I find this place, surprised I haven't been here before.

So recently I've been helping out a new grower with his first time - auto's in a tent under a couple of 300W LED's. We get through the basics to the point that he needs to understand LST. Fortunately I'd been archiving some photos of my most recent auto grow, so I could start that mythical thread for my party tent, and had documented the process pretty thoroughly. So I finished posting the tutorial to his thread, and think, this info would be great for many growers. Either first time auto growers or beginners with photoperiod crops that have gone past the topping stage. Like our buddy kinglebron a couple of posts back. So I'm going to repeat the tutorial I did for him on LST for auto's & hope it finds some knowledge hungry growers searching for knowledge in this thread.

AND I'll get to brag a little on my little party tent project and show her results to the masses. [​IMG]

The "Party Tent" is something that started on a whim a few years ago. I'm in my local hydro store wandering around and stop to look at a little 2X2X5'3" tent made by Secret Jardin. There's a really cute clerk working that day, and she keeps bending over showing me all the "features of the tent", and before I know it I'm the proud owner of a little tent . And thinking, WTF am I gonna do with this??? (Comic relief - I had a plan before she ever bent over the fifth time).
    This would be great to start new strains... I'd always grown regular photoperiods, not fem's, to do the ever elusive pheno search for that one proud mama. Then grow her in perpetuity or until we move on. But if I had this little tent then I could devote it to pheno searches without tying up my 400 or 600 for an entire crop.
    OR I could use it for seed making. Over time shit happens, usually mites or bacterial issues, or more likely just lack of care to my mothers. Seeds are needed to maintain the pheno for subsequent generations. A 65W CFL, a 3 gallon bubble bucket with three 4" net pots, and I can use my best girl pheno's and best boy to make seed in the little party tent
    Or I'm always getting freebie autoflowers. You all seen it, and don't lie and say you're NOT curious.... well, this little tent would be a great way to dabble.

Now here's probably the most noble reason for getting the little tent, other than the hydro clerk worked on commission and she was working REALLY HARD to show me the tent... there are tons of curious would-be growers that want to get a start, and have no idea where to start. I could put this little 2X2 tent together with a 250W HID light set, cool tube reflector with 170CFM centrifugal fan, and another 170 CFM fan to push the stink through a 4" Phresh carbon filter. Add a couple of 3 gallon Ebb 'nGro hydro containers and I'd be all set. The ideal starter system for the serious smoker interested in growing their own.

That's how the party tent was born.
    Watch for my next posts in a few discussing LST.

13. SOOOOOO, you're ready to begin low stress training (LST). Either you're in vegetative growth stage with your photoperiod plants and you don't want to top them (not sure WHY you wouldn't, but OK...), or you waited too late and you're in transition from veg to bloom, and/or in the middle of the plant's stretch as it starts blooming and wants to double or triple in height.
    Or you've decided to try auto's. If / when you decide to do this, you HAVE TO learn to do Low Stress Training (LST). You don't top auto's, you tie them up and bend them over.
    Now a lot of girls wont admit this, but most of them really enjoy being tied up.And auto's LOVE it. Look up my old buddy's posts by DNorris. She's the 50 Shades of Green Bondage Queen and some of her stuff will amaze you. Plus she's cool - Chuck Norris is her brother and he's afraid of HER. So if you visit, better be polite.

So how do you LST? The principle is to bend the plant over, starting about 1/3 above its base, so that by the time you are 2/3 up the trunk, you have created a right angle in the trunk and the rest of the plant trunk can be trained to grow parallel to the ground. This formula is approximate, you need to go by sight and feel mostly.Assuming a 15" plant. Start with some good string - surveyor's / lineman's cord or even the fat sisal packing cord used for tying packages. Form a loose loop ABOUT 4 - 5" up the base of the plant and tie that to a tent post so it won't move. Go about 8-10" up, form another loose loop around the trunk, and pull to bend the plant trunk over a few inches. Tie or clamp down the other end of the string to anything anywhere it will hold that bend in the plant trunk.
    You need to go slowly with this, just a few inches per day. Bend, clamp, wait, come back tomorrow and do it again.Before you're done you might have to tie off the upper part of the bend to the side of the tent again so that subsequent and higher bends are working the length of the trunk. In a few days you should have your 90 degree bend. Then, every few days, the top tip should have grown a few inches, trending back upward. Tie that down too.

The fine point of LST - plants contain a compound that encourages the tallest point of a plant to grow with more vigor than the rest of the plant. By training the main trunk / top to be LOWER than it's lower / secondary branches, those branches receive this compound and they in turn try to become the dominant branch / top leader. With a secondary round of LST to each side branch, you can train them lower so the lowest side branches try to catch up. The secondary ties are simpler, only one per branch. Before you know it, you have created a plant with 10, 12, even more "top colas" and your yield has gone up about 6 X what you could expect from an untrained plant.

Next question - what if it breaks when you bend it? It's kind of like when you were checking light height with the back of your hand and you hand caught on fire - you should have moved it sooner. Real answer - go slow.Complete this over several days. And if it DOES break, eat a popsicle. The kind with a stick. Use this as a splint and securely wrap a gauze strip around the stalk and stick. It will wilt for a few days but should heal and be fine. With photoperiod plants instead of auto's, what you just discovered is called super cropping. You don't WANT to do this on auto's, but point is, if it happens just fix it and go on. The sun will come up tomorrow and the plant will be fine.

In case any of these instructions are not clear, I'm posting some pic's for you that should clear up any questions.
    And maybe motivate you to NOT throw away the instructions before you try to assemble the parts [​IMG]

Here's a pic of my Kalishnakova-Auto growing in my little 2X2X5'3" party tent. This was taken on 5/24 and shows the completed LST process. The complete LST to this day took place over about a week. If you zoom and and drag around the pic you should be able to see four LST's
    [​IMG]

And here are the beginnings of the results six days later on 5/30. Note that the second LST up from the base of the plant has been re-positioned on this day to go out and up, holding the trunk in place so the remaining two LST's can continue bending the upper part of the plant more toward horizontal. The 3rd and 4th LST's are continuing to bend her over. If you listen closely, you can hear her moaning and starting to talk dirty [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. #11974 Olde School, Aug 3, 2015
    Here's the results two weeks later on 6/13. OK, this one was taken in portrait orientation & looked fine on my picture hosting site. Dunno whassup wit dat shit. So work with me & turn your monitor on its side or tilt your head over or whatever.
    In the two weeks since the last shot you can really see all the side branches, even the lowest bottom ones, have caught up with the rest of the plant. The main terminal leader is still being trained but I'm letting it turn upward now too.
    Results - a nice, even canopy with a shit-ton of top colas instead of just one.
    If you look closely, or you've been really paying attention to the number of LST's, you'll see some extra work. As each of the side branches revert to vertical and try to stretch to become primary leaders (that's NOT a political term about Donald F@#$wad Trump) a single easy LST is being applied to each of them to pull them downward, even the canopy, and open up the interior of the plant to more light. Not all of these can be seen later as the plant fills the tent, but you'll see the results & the idea becomes obvious when you see the last two pic's.
    [​IMG]

And here's today, 8/1 She's gone a lot longer than the breeded said. I love breeders but they all say all their plants will finish in 30 days from seed, will yield 2 kilos under a 23 watt CFL, and are 30% THC. This one has done all she's going to do. I'll take all the top colas tomorrow, give the bottoms another week to get some color, and they will come down.
    Just a side note, I took the center cola out earlier this week. It was dead center under the cool tube and I was afraid it would bleach out. It was 14" long and 21g dried. Took a quick count, and there are at least (16) top colas in the 12" - 14" range. I may have missed a couple too, some of them have fallen over in the picture & you can't see them.
    [​IMG]

15. Last but not least, here's the cover shot. Nothing the others haven't shown, I just liked the composition and framing in this one the best. I believe this one is plenty of justification to learn how to LST.
    Now, for my photoperiod plants, I'm always going to rely on topping. Better results for a different product. But for auto's, and when the time is right for traditionals, learn to LST.

(Insert emoticon here of a guy humping a supermodel's leg - that would be me)

[​IMG]

Remember when you could listen really close and hear her moan? Well she's not moaning anymore, she's just screaming, "F@#$ ME HARD !!!

So what if you've heard the conventional chatter of "...auto's don't yield as good", view them and weep Brothers & Sisters.
    21g's per top, (16) tops. Do the math. That's NOT counting the secondaries and popcorn. And my old buddy @Midlife from Czechoslovokia who referred me to this strain grew way over 1 lb from one plant. SWEET. (FYI, Kalashnikova is a rework of the original Cup Winner White Russian)

And what about the comment "...it's not as potent as traditionals". So the Mrs. is my tester. She comes into the kitchen this morning carrying my container of K-Auto that's supposed to be hidden so it can cure. She has this shit-eating grin on her face and about 2/3 of a joint burning in her hand, "What's this???? This shit is AWESOME" And this after she's been smoking the original ChemDawg & Sannie's Anesthesia for over a month.

OK, I think that covers it for this topic. If you want more on the topic, you can view danny's original thread at http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1375...
    You might have to back up a few pages to get all the data but that will get you in the neighborhood.

Time to have a bowl & walk the dog. Peace Out.

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438557580.800121.jpg
    Fuego

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438557607.100256.jpg
    Lee Roy

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438557640.478217.jpg
    Flo

Used RX Green Solutions to produce these nugs under 1000watt dual arc bulbs

17. #HolyGrail 5 weeks under 2 x 600hps

Attached Files:

18. LA WOMEN 5 weeks

Attached Files:

19. #11979 kinglebron6, Aug 3, 2015
    Olde school, man can i still tie the branches of my plant? They are flowering for 2 weeks, I've Lst'd them during veg and now i have like 9 colas, their height is now even, im wondering if tying them down again will stress the plant and turn it hermie, 20150731_175657.jpg
    20150731_175359.jpg

Or should i just let it grow ? Thanks for the help man

20. Kinda depends on the strain man if it can tolerate a lot or not. I'd say make up your mind and do it now instead of later since it's just starting actual flower. I might tie it just a touch more so those tops spread out. Once they fatten up you'll want some air to be able to pass between them so you don't risk mold.