**No time for a Journal? Update here.. Any skill level welcome**

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by samson32, Jan 12, 2011.

1. i also threw some neem cake on top and the bokashi LOVE IT within hours the neem cake was glowing with the fuzz haha. What are the benefits of adding straw on top? Also do the bokashi teas only help if your rhizosphere is already in tip top condition? I did a neem oil drench a week ago and then the kashi tea and one of the plants has begun doing nitrogen tox curling and tips so I'm just giving them water for now. I read that the neem drench can damage the bennies and that I maybe should do a aact after drenching, do you know anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #10882 Jimmy Carter, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    The straw is just for mulch, to keep moisture in and light out, brings all kinds of life to the soil. Thats what you're doing with the cocoa shells right? I only said to use the straw cause I already have it and wanted to put a small layer cocoa shells with the straw on top in my outdoor raised bed.

I've never put neem oil in my soil, that would seem counterproductive as you're trying to cultivate microbes and the like, while the neem would kill them off right? I was under the assumption that oils in general arent good in your rhizophere as it can suffocate roots. not entirely sure though. The bokashi teas can be applied whenever, they are especially useful when you have poor quality soil, think of the bioremediation that this stuff is capable of, that LAB and PNSB are great decomposers as far as I know.

I like to alternate between the AACTs and the kashi teas. the AACTs provide a lot of food but the organisms in the kashi tea, which is a fermentation, are very good at consuming all that nutrition you just added to the soil.

Do you use EM-1?

yeah and I'm terrible at explaining this stuff :laughing: :bongin:

3. ive actually seen someone else using straw over cocoa shell mulch over the Kashi top dress I'll definitely have to check that out. Any kind of specific straw?

Ya I did it as one part of a battle with fungus gnats and thrips. Only did the drench once though, I'm still spraying neem. That's interesting that oils suffocate roots I did not know that, or in what manner the oil harms the life, thanks man :).

Ya I got a bokashi bin almost ready to put in the ground. I'm going to upgrade the soil in the backyard flower patch that got overgrown!

Ya I've read to alternate em, I need to get a lil PVC and build this airlift DIY I found.

I don't use em-1 but I'm pretty sure it's in the gro-Kashi bokashi I have.

No worries bud I really appreciate it you explained that stuff just perfectly in combination with the bits and pieces I know already. I found out about bokashi over Instagram actually. I haven't seen anything about it on GC but I haven't searched much for it on other forums, I can usually only find info about the Kashi buckets. Rather than for our purposes. Have you done a Kashi foliar yet?

4. Yeah the Lactobacillus is in the bokashi but its nice to have the liquid serum as well. I havent actually done a foliar with it yet, I keep forgetting to set some aside to skip the molasses. You arent supposed to use molasses(at least in good quantities) for foliars cause it can clog up the stomata

5. Hi JC
    I grow from clones. Bought at Harborside in Oakland and Elemental in San Jose. Renowned for true genetics out here in Cali. I have not gone the seed route, due to time ,culling shipping customs......ect. Recently went to the Kush convention in Anaheim and talked with some of the seed venders, they were telling me that the plants from seed will be more robust..... Not convinced as I don't seem to be having any issues using clones. Plus I have a fear of a male slipping by and pollinating all my plants. I do not have time to babysit and cull.

6. #10886 mrsilly, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

7. [/quote]thanks. I've already got the dunks in place and I'm gonna do a watering with it next time I water too. I've been spraying neem and it seems to finally be working cuz I've seen some gnats walking around but not flying. When I spray I'm using dr bronners also which as a Castile is insecticidal and kills the ones that get sprayed on I'm pretty sure.

8. what do you do with the em1 serum? Thanks i didn't know about the molasses thing either! I knew to strain for the foliar though. I haven't done it yet either. Spraying neem tonight so I guess I'll start a small Kashi fermentation when I get home.

9. Add 1tsp/gal during watering every week or two to help break down material in your soil. Also I alternate between feeding Cannazyme and the EM-1 or kashi teas

10. #10891 mrsilly, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
    Ask and you shall receive. the strain is the one that must not be abbreviated. Lol

36 days
    [​IMG]

11. Growing my first two babies. Green bucket is fruity pebbles purple bucket sour diesel. Currently 10 days old. Green one looks a little curled and rough, what could this be from? Using promix bx with mycorhiza and a 90w taottronics ufo with two 40 watt cfls.

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

12. DNA Genetics - Kosher tangie... grow this

Attached Files:

13. Nice job!

14. What will you feed them?

15. It's been 3 days since I started LST on these girls, looks like they're getting bushier. I accidently snapped the stem of the smallest plant again. I guess  I started late with the LST, the stem was already too thick...
    \n[​IMG] [​IMG]

The leaves of the new growth are also curling slightly upwards, but the lamp isn't that close to the plant though. I've put the lamp a bit higher, I hope this is going to help my two girls...
    \n 
    Any advice on what I could possibly do to improve everything?
    \n[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    \n\nMedium : universal soil
    Indoors
    Skunk #1
    I guess around 8 weeks old
    200W CFL
    More than 7" away from the light
    Normal tap water, watering happens whenever I feel the soil is dry
    No fertilizers
    Temp : 25C so that's about 77F

16. Blue widow
    2 plants, both topped once.
    2nd week flower

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

17. #10898 morange, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    21 days 12/12 Cheese:

EDIT: I'm not used to having this much vertical space. There's like 1.5-2' between the canopy and the light. I am going to raise everything up at least a foot in the future and lollypop the bottom. Everything is pretty cluttered this time anyway since I didn't focus too much on training the plants or preparing as much during the transition between grow spaces I'm hoping to be much better prepared next cycle. That being said looks like they are pretty much done stretching and are going to mainly be budding.

Attached Files:

18. Looks good dude! A grower of your caliber should have more space. What's the dimensions of the new area? :confused_2:

19. New space is 4'x4'x6'

I still want to try a few more adjustments with the light to see how I can get the most out of the footprint. Overall the space increase is going to make it a lot easier to do what I was doing before, and after I start getting things more tuned in hopefully an improvement. I do know that at some point I want to set up an actual room, I'm just waiting for the opportunity in the mean time.

I have more equipment than I can use at once, so it will help when I do decide to expand again, I've got 2 600w ballasts several bulbs, a 400w ballast & bulbs, a 150W ballast & bulbs, 2 6" inline fans and 2 4" inline fans along with a bunch of fan speed controllers, reflectors, etc. I technically could do it anytime, I just need a good spot freed up really.

I've also considered building a custom sized frame with wood and wrapping with mylar and adding my own zipper. There's a lot of stuff I'd love to be able to do, but I'm slowly making my way there. Once I'm ready though I should have everything I need. In the meantime I'm going to keep experimenting with different grow methods, and keep trying new strains. I'm actually running low on seeds currently and I've been saving the best for last so I'm quite excited going forward.

Wow I'm still typing, it's really early I just wrote an essay when I could have just said 4'x4x'6' :laughing: