The Grasscity Magazine Launch

Your new #1 Marijuana Resource, check it out and Disqus(!) Grasscity Magazine, share the love blades!

Taking MMJ on AMTRAK

• by farnam
  • Jan 05 2011 08:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • Please log in to reply
  • McGnarster

• PipPipPip
  • farnam
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a registered patient under the guidelines set by prop 215 and have even participated in the state county program, granting me a state mmj card. However, I'm planning to take half an oz of my homegrown Chemdog and some other buds from San Diego to LA using the Amtrak train. As I've never rode using Amtrak IDK how strict their policies/security are. So I have two questions about this trip.

#1 Regardless of medical or not, how strict are the staff/security or whoever is responsible when it comes to frequency of searches if I'm traveling such a short distance?

#2 Am I still guaranteed my rights to possess on the train?

Any other input would be helpful. Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by farnam, 05 January 2011 - 08:42 PM.

Replies (14)

• Banned

• CaliKushSmoker
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

ive taken a half pound back home on an amtrak train and greyhound bus. there is no security or searches done. put it in an air tight container and your fine (wrap the jar in plastic wrap/cling wrap if your uneasy about the whole thing) as long as they can't smell it it wont be a problem. and in all honesty if you can fly out of oakland with an ounce, taking a train shouldnt be a big deal

• Banned

• fresk
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

i think you risk your life for it,you cross the air traffic.

• Southern Gothic

• tharedhead
  • Bronze Member
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

I have no idea how accurate this report is,or how often such things occur. Remember, if they are federal, you have no rights

Drug Bust on Amtrak Train [California Zephyr perhaps?]

A team of federal marshals with a drug-sniffing dog were aboard the eastbound California Zephyr when I rode last October from Emeryville to Reno. I believe the marshals were Reno-based, riding west to Truckee on Train #5 to do a check for contraband, then riding back to Reno aboard Train #6. That would give them an hour to sweep the train for possible drug-smuggling activity.

• McGnarster

• PipPipPip
  • farnam
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

^^^

I love how no matter how many posts there are urging me not to worry, it only takes one post like this to freak me out a little. lol

It seems like I'm all systems go regardless though. Probably things will go okay.

• kush king

• lilnick
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

your all good man. its legal to tansport your medicine within the state.

• Banned

• CaliKushSmoker
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

ya dont trip, those were set up to catch people smuggling from the west to the east. not from la to sd lol

• browniegirl8

• PipPip
  • browniegirl8
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

what about amtrak from wash dc to michigan? any thoughts? for under an ounce?

• Guest_wolsdam_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

what about amtrak from wash dc to michigan? any thoughts? for under an ounce?

you're going through other states, i don't think thats a good idea dude, just buy some when you get there

• I divide by zero...

• cball
  • Gold Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

just watch out for those cavity searches...be sure to get someone with small hands...:eek:

http://t2.gstatic.co...LOUkB17sc&t=1:D

• mmm chunky

• barfdog17
  • Bronze Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

so you have a med card, carrying legally, and you're traveling within california, which, even if you didn't have a med card, carrying under an ounce warrants the same penalty as a parking ticket

why is this a problem?

• Southern Gothic

• tharedhead
  • Bronze Member
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:14 AM

so you have a med card, carrying legally, and you're traveling within California, which, even if you didn't have a med card, carrying under an ounce warrants the same penalty as a parking ticket

why is this a problem?

You're on Federally owned transportation, under the jurisdiction of Federal Marshals, who do not recognize MMJ and who will charge you under federal law...
http://norml.org/ind...=&Group_ID=4575

Possession of marijuana is punishable by up to one year in jail and a minimum fine of $1,000 for a first conviction. For a second conviction, the penalties increase to a 15-day mandatory minimum sentence with a maximum of two years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Subsequent convictions carry a 90-day mandatory minimum sentence and a maximum of up to three years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Distribution of a small amount of marijuana, for no remuneration, is treated as possession. Manufacture or distribution of less than 50 kilograms of marijuana is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. For 50 kilograms or more the penalty increases to a possible 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1,000,000. Manufacture or distribution of 100 kilograms or more carries a penalty of 5 - 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $2,000,000. For 1000 kilograms or more, the penalty increases to 10 years - life in prison and a fine of up to $4,000,000.

Amtrac has a histroy of doing things like this
cannabisnews.com: Amtrak Snitches On Riders for Profits

So, do not, under any circumstances, carry over 110.231131 pounds with you. :)

Edited by tharedhead, 18 February 2011 - 04:23 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • latenitetokr
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

If youre really worried sell the ounce and hit me up when you get to la ill take you to my collective

• dc199
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

You're on Federally owned transportation, under the jurisdiction of Federal Marshals, who do not recognize MMJ and who will charge you under federal law...
FEDERAL - NORML

Amtrac has a histroy of doing things like this
cannabisnews.com: Amtrak Snitches On Riders for Profits

So, do not, under any circumstances, carry over 110.231131 pounds with you. :)

its not jurisdiction of marshals, its the amtrak police. amtrak has their own federal police force and they enforce federal laws. my dads one.

• Grow Strong!

• Bohbo
  • Gold Member
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

its not jurisdiction of marshals, its the amtrak police. amtrak has their own federal police force and they enforce federal laws. my dads one.

I have taken cannabis on amtrak before. I never realized they followed federal law like that. If you have a card, and you have an oz or two on you I cannot fathom an Amtrak cop wanting that paperwork of busting someone over something that could cause a court case of state vs federal rights. But then again I question our law enforcements foresight into the ramifications of such actions.

But on the other side i really doubt they are looking for it and unless you are being blatant and stinking up the area around you i doubt you realistically have anything to worry about on amtrak.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users