Hip hop is kinda like religion...which one are you?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by cannonrock33, Dec 25, 2010.

1. #1 cannonrock33, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
    I know ill catch a lot of flack for this, but hear me out. Im gonna break down the different types of hip hop listeners.

Backpackers:Everyone knows them. They like to complain about the state of current day hip hop. They are angry that nobody pays attention to dudes like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, and jedi mind tricks, even though if any of those dudes were to receive the attention these backpackers claim they deserve, they would probably stop listening to the artist b.c. of their newly gained popularity by the masses. Atmosphere is one of the few back pack rap groups who gained many listeners for an indie label, and now atmosphere gets tons of hate. Its usually never good enough for backpackers. To keep their respect you gotta remain underground and make absolutely no money what so ever. Back Packers are usually white and nerdy.

Real hip hop heads: similar to backpackers in a way, though their taste arent as completely underground and nerdy. They fucks with dudes who kind of mimic the 90s mainstream rappers b.c. they want to relive the 90s for some reason. Rappers in these categories include Jay Elec, Joe Budden, B.O.B., Eminem, anyone in slaughterhouse, and j cole. Real hip hop heads are just as snobby as backpackers. They were probably the kids who hated rap back in the 90s and claimed it wasnt music. All real hip hop heads love old school hip hop as well, b.c. like i said, they love living in the past that they most likely never grew up in. I dont see this a lot with backpackers.

New school gangsta rap and trap rap fans: This is a category that isnt seen very often on GC. Mainly b.c. most of these types of fans are inner city black people who want to stay true to the roots of the gangsta rap lifestyle and culture. These guys will bump gangsta and trap rappers who are both mainstream and underground. The mainstream ones include Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Oj Da juice man, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Young Buck, anyone in Dipset,Yo Gotti and sometimes lil wayne (wayne is an exception to some of these fans b.c. he was originally about the streets, but most write him off as a fag b.c. of how he went pop)
    The underground trap and gangsta rappers include Uncle Murda, Freck Billionaire, Max B, Pill, etc etc. These kinds of rap fans believe that the best rap exist in the streets. Being lyrically lyrical doesnt matter as much to them as long as the bass bumps in their trunk and the rapper keeps it real. They also still have respect for old school gangsta rap like 2pac,biggie, and mobb deep.

The old school crowd:Title sums it up. Most likely an older person who grew up in the golden age and doesnt really mess with the new stuff. They believe its the only true hip hop.

People who just like what they like: These people are the most flexible with their artist. It doesnt matter so much about what kind of rapper they are as long as it sounds good to them. These types of people can listen to Wu tang, Wiz khalifa, gucci mane, mf doom, and kanye west and appreciate something in all of their work. If they dont feel an artist they just dont listen to them, but can understand why other people would enjoy them. They arent snobby and feel like every style brings something to the table. They dont just write something off b.c. its not a certain style.

so which are you? i relate with people who dont care and like what they like.

2. Hahah, for some reason... :p

3. Just Stop!

4. for every hip hop snob talking down to people who dont like their music, im here to even it up and make fun of them back.

5. I'm the last one. I like all sorts of hip-hop from old school to new school. I love weed inspired music the most tho. Right now I mostly listen to Wiz, Curren$y, Mac Miller, Trademark Da Skydiver, Joe Budden, and J Cole.

6. Trademark! HELL YES! He doesn't get enough attention. Issues 1-3 are all BOMB. Spitta is easily my favorite artist right now, followed by that crowd: wiz, smoke dza, big krit, trade, nipsey hussle, etc etc. but it depends what mood im in too(mostly high). i can listen to a wide variety of hip hop :D

7. I'm a fusion between a real hip hop head and people who just like what they like.

Listening to Casualties of War by Rakim

8. #8 NySt0nerPunk, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    it's changed a lot.

9. Did you just call biggie and tupac underground? I mean i know they are now under the ground, but they weren't underground for any major period in their careers.

I don't think I am any of those, I like really none of the artists you mentioned.

OP, why is it you feel the need to ridicule the tastes in music of others? Insecurity of your own tastes? It's highly ironic that you refer to many of these 'religons' as snobby but yet talk down to readers of your post as if your taste in music is far superior to any elses.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooneJobmTAY&feature=more_related]YouTube - Thomax - The Hole (P.O.W) (Sick Jacken)[/ame]

11. Finally someone who agrees with me. I have all of Trademarks issues and almost all of Curren$y's albums mixtapes. Spitta is definitely one of the dopest. He constantly puts out good music.

12. I tolerate mainstream hip hop in the car and at public places.. I can get into the vibe, but I don't care for the artists. I find myself listening mostly to 90's rap and instrumental works.. 80's rap is like a foreign language to me. Although I can get into some music from the late 80's. I won't buy an album if there isn't a display of creativity throughout. If you can't rap, I don't give a shit how much swag or cash you have. I will not support you. And I like current underground rap, but some of those guys rhyme schemes are fucking boring.

Where do I fit in?

13. #13 Blunt Visions, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
    You sir, have good taste. +rep.

But yea, I used to be a backpacker but now I just listen to anything that sounds good to me (also, I guess i'm a hip-hop head). But i'm still picky with my music, there are very few albums that I own because there are specific sounds I look for, and if one song doesn't fit to standards, I don't cop the whole album.

14. ^ This....

15. I'm none of the above because those descriptions are as retarded as Lil Wayne looks. I'm just a hip hopper who loves and respects this culture, its elements, it's roots, it's diversity, and at its core it's overall message of peace and havin fun.

16. It's funny that all the heads are gettin upset at someone doin the same thing to them that they do to everyone

17. The last one should be re-named mainstream hip-hop heads

18. You had to have known you would be ridiculed for making a topic like this right? I'll participate regardless:

I'm a combination between the "real hip hop head" and "people who like what they like". I'm not really offended to be under the real hip hop head (even though you made it sound like they were all snobs who had no clue who they were talking about, which is a little over the top if you ask me). I grew up listening to classic rock, some indie and alt rock but got into rap and hip-hop as I was leaving high school. You may say this makes me "fake" but I just discovered hip-hop later on, which doesn't mean I don't have a real appreciation for it. I just started out mainstream and started to discover more music and artists that weren't known to the general public on my own.

I think you should edit your OP so that people don't feel ashamed or angry to choose a stereotype that you made seem negative (such as your first two categories). Don't hate just show some love for fellow true hip hop lovers.

19. what this guy said. they constantly talk shit about people who dont like "real" hip hop. yet when someone insults them they take it so personally.

Personally, i listen to artist from all the categories. So I listen to what sounds good to me and i dont try to just listen to artist under one group.

I can listen to mf doom, gucci mane, j cole, and lil wayne. they all have certain songs that sounds good to me. Does this mean that I enjoy every song by all of these artist? no. I though no ceilings was ass, but i also thought born like this was ass too. I actually make decisions with my brain and dont just write artist off b.c. they have one radio hit.

20. I just listen to what I like, I don't rag on people for liking Lil Wayne even though I can't stand him, there's tons of mainstream shit I do like, tons of underground shit too.

The only thing that kinda irks me is when people proclaim one rapper to be "The best rapper alive", or "The best ever". Shit's all subjective, when are people gonna learn?