Didgeridoo

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by singlefin, Dec 24, 2010.

1. So i just started playing three weeks ago, and love it.I haven't got the circular breathing down, but it still sounds amazing.When you have taken a few bong hits to the head, the drone just resonates in your body.Then to top it all off all the vocals you can make, is as if your in the jungle(or outback).The funny thing is I have told some people that I work with, and have even brought it in to play.The first words out of their mouth is "Are you a pothead?"
    I think some of you should listen to it, google or what ever you use, and tell me can you relate that to a pothead?Do you like it?Anyone playing one, with advice.

2. people that say are you a pothead are probably just not taking either you or the instrument seriously but i looked it up just now, and you can make some pretty sick sounds, so if you're serious about it, fuckin' go for it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMgL5qmZ-k&feature=channel[/ame]

cooooooool

especially with the hang drum

3. Yea i love it!!!! I can't put it down!!!

4. Hang Drum may be my favorite instrument ever.

I wish it wasn't nearly impossible to get one.... They sound so beautiful.

5. so how is circular breathing executed exactly? :confused:

6. i own a didgeridoo i love it. i have a friend who is wicked good at it. he owns like two or three.

7. Circular Breathing takes years and years to master.
    As a sax player I know how difficult it can be.
    Only a select few can use it in music while keeping a steady stream of air and a magical sound.

8. ive been wanting to buy one for a while but havent had much luck finding anybody who can give me some feedback on which one to buy. i know there are traditional wood and i believe PVC ones...which one do you have? how much was it? did you buy it online or at a store? any input would be great?

thanks

9. Seems almost like ancient dubstep in a way. I heard you can actually build one yourself out of pvc too so you don't have to spend your hard earned moneys on a legit one.

10. circular breathing by kenny g
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkA_pxHaNZQ]YouTube - Kenny G Circular Breathing Lesson[/ame]

i think this one is a little better and more didgeridoo specific.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmS7RlcIAqU]YouTube - HOW TO PLAY DIDGERIDOO LONDON UK - Circular Breathing[/ame]

11. Guys thanks for the feed back I really love this community, I didn't think i would get this much.
    It is done by keeping the drone by pushing air out of your cheeks , and inhaling in your nose!
    Hey man go to home depot and get schedule 40 pvc, you are going to want inch and a half or 1 inch, cut it at 54" and their you go lol. Play that till you get good then buy a real one.

12. Just got a didgeridoo last night for a xmas present. As I'm typing this, the instruction CD is loading on my ipod. I'm not gifted muscially at all so we'll see if this gets re-gifted.

13. RE-GIFT right here man.....lol

14. If I give it to someone on this forum, there's gotta be a trade involved! :smoke:

I'm kinda gettin' the general idea of how to play it but I can tell it's gonna take awhile.

15. it does take awhile man just keep at it and wait till you get the drone down...then smoke a bowl then play it will blow you away!!!!!it just pulses trough your body man:eek:

16. god that statement alone makes me want one.

i'm going to build a pvc one tomorrow and start practicing

17. The didgeridoo is beyond amazing, you should check out the ancient history of it, it was used as a healing tool to heal broken bones and wounds, inducing trance, for all sorts of pain of mind, body, and spirit. I went to a didge and drum healing the other day, and it was mind blowing. Keep it up with learning because theres more than meets the eye with the yidaki.

link: www.vladcardema.com
    ^to read about sound healing and what it affects/ how it works

check out aboriginal shamanism

18. I've been playing didge now for a few months. I can circular breathe and keep a drone going for a few minutes before my lips just get too tired. It's quite an interesting instrument but it's hella fun to play.

This guy knows where it's at...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g592I-p-dc]YouTube - Didgeridoo - Jeremy Donovan, Aboriginal Artist[/ame]

19. #19 redbarron, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    Read this post and figured i would post a vid of my own from this morning. Bad sound quality, but ill show the room a little closer up at the end of the video.

Nice post I enjoyed finding it and looking at those videos that i remember watching when i was just starting learning what i have over the last six months.

Someone asked how circular breathing is done, think about this, push air out your lungs into a straw into water the bubbles come and come and as you run out of air you fill your checks and continue the bubble with the air in your cheeks while taking little "sniffs" intermittently while playing; the deceptive part is that you only need an Extremely tiny amount of air to make a drone.

have a good one guys :wave::)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BE0VtOygR8]YouTube - Didg grow[/ame]

20. I love drone music and this thread makes me want one of these things.